[Cut Open] Fram Ultra XG6607

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Friday I changed the oil in the Mazda. Out with the Mobil Super Syn 0w20 (UOA coming soon) & Fram Ultra filter, in with the Mobil 1 EP 0w20 and Mobil EP filter. What can I say? This dissection is uneventful. The Fram Ultra held up beautifully, I've had it sitting for 8 days and when the shell was cracked with the filter cutter, a few ounces spilled out showing that the ADBV was still doing it's job very well. No tears, no funny business, just a well built filter. I did notice that the media is considerably shorter than the OE Mazda filter which can be seen here.

Filter was in service for 9,829 miles and a little over 6 months. Enjoy the pics.

Last edited:
Looks well-made as usual, but [censored] that media is tiny. Would you feel comfortable running one of those to ~15k? Is there a chance a filter that small could pick up so many particles over a long interval that its filtering ability diminishes?

Definitely has a fraction of the filter media of the Tokyo Roki OEM filter, but the Ultra's efficiency is significantly higher (requiring less overall media). Both filters look fantastic! My local Mazda dealer matched the lower pricing of the OEM filters on Amazon so I bought 6 and will use them on our 16 Mazda 3, great car and motor!

It amazes me the difference in sizes of media from one filter to the next. Agree that that media seems a bit on the small side.

Originally Posted By: penataquit
Would you feel comfortable running one of those to ~15k?

No, since it cost a little more and the c&ps look outstanding I'd feel better about running it longer, to about 24k or so.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
I did notice that the media is considerably shorter than the OE Mazda filter which can be seen here.

Looks good, no surprise. Keep in mind the media in the Ultra is a 2-ply full synthetic, were as the OE Mazda is probably mostly cellulose. Full synthetic media can filter and hold more debris better than cellulose with less total area because it's a "depth filtering" media vs a "surface filtering" media.

And yes, the XG7317 can be used in place of the XG6607 if there is physical room for the longer XG7317. Everything is the same between those two filters except the 7317 is longer.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I did notice that the media is considerably shorter than the OE Mazda filter which can be seen here.

Looks good, no surprise. Keep in mind the media in the Ultra is a 2-ply full synthetic, were as the OE Mazda is probably mostly cellulose. Full synthetic media can filter and hold more debris better than cellulose with less total area because it's a "depth filtering" media vs a "surface filtering" media.

And yes, the XG7317 can be used in place of the XG6607 if there is physical room for the longer XG7317. Everything is the same between those two filters except the 7317 is longer.

I haven't looked but is the PSI of the bypass the same, etc?

Great C&P!

Man, that filter media is so short! Good things come in small packages I suppose.

I will use (and already purchased via Amazon) the XG6607 to be used on the wife's '14 Nissan Rogue at my next OCI.
I did a C&P on the PureONE (PL14612) that I used for that engine recently and was very impressed with what I saw. I fully expect even better things with the FRAM Ultra!

Depending on how much larger the XG7317 is (and if all the other specs will allow it), I might just move to it if it will fit fine (and I suspect it would).

I use the Fram 7317 on my Nissan Altima 3.5 VQ. Only thought for you is if the vehicle is under warranty?? If yes... Just in case go ahead and run the weedeater sized 6607. If it's outside of warranty then go ahead with the larger 7317.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN

It is, both are 13 PSI bypass valves. The base gaskets are slightly different dimension, but should work fine - not big deal.

XG6607
http://www.fram.com/Search-Parts/Part-Detail?PN=XG6607

XG7317

http://www.fram.com/Search-Parts/Part-Detail?PN=XG7317

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN

It is, both are 13 PSI bypass valves. The base gaskets are slightly different dimension, but should work fine - not big deal.

XG6607
http://www.fram.com/Search-Parts/Part-Detail?PN=XG6607

XG7317

http://www.fram.com/Search-Parts/Part-Detail?PN=XG7317

Excellent, thank you. I guess that with my OCI of under 5K miles (the OEM normal service schedule is 5K) it might not matter since I won't do any extended drain intervals (like 10K or 15K miles).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back