[Cut Open] Fram Ultra XG16 8K

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care what oil/filter combo you go with. On a car that old and with that many miles, I would change the oil and filter every 4K miles until you clean out all that crud inside the crankcase. Run Mobil 1 high mileage and the Fram Ultra filter and change it often to ensure it will run for years and years to come!

^Not if the goal is cleaning, but at the same time a high mileage and other setups could perhaps do better at handling the cleaning process even if for the same money. ULTRA's are fairly cheap so not a bad compromise for cleaning intervals, IMO.

I tried to give a decent amount of feedback in my post on the previous page for the OP.

Exactly! My point was to change it often to clean everything out and once the engine is as clean as possible then go longer between OCIs. Maybe run Ultra Platinum and change often to clean the engine. I believe the Ultra Platinum has more cleaning additives than Mobil 1 has.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Exactly! My point was to change it often to clean everything out and once the engine is as clean as possible then go longer between OCIs. Maybe run Ultra Platinum and change often to clean the engine. I believe the Ultra Platinum has more cleaning additives than Mobil 1 has.

Now you're suggesting Ultra Platinum at short OCIs too? Oh my word.. Its your money my friend. Do as you wish.

My point is that its a waste. A top tier synthetic and top tier filter only ran at 4000 miles? Why run synthetic at 4000 when a quality dino can be ran to 5000 miles? Haven't you learned anything from this forum? A quality HM dino and entry level filter will yield the same results on a dirty engine. Excessively changing synthetic oil wont clean the engine like you think it will. It is the filters job to catch the contaminants and if the engine is allowed to get to operating temps, you can bet that quality synthetic has plenty of life left yet after only 4000 miles.

A good aggressive top tier synthetic oil to clean out the engine is why I recommended that. Clean the engine crud out and then go to normal long intervals if the engine can handle it.

While it is clear full syns leave less behind over the long haul, I've seen little to no evidence they clean an already dirty engine any better than anything else.

Shorter intervals on a High Mileage or cocktail blend with anything; yes even full synthetics, is going to potentially get more out.

Remember, this isn't a matter of "for the oil's sake", but rather for the engine's sake. While it is debatable I certainly wouldn't count on conventional to clean an engine with that many deposits as the filter is showing. At least not as the most reliable method.

Therefore, a HM oil; MaxLife full synthetic from wal-mart!
thumbsup2.gif
+ a Q of MMO or the 5w-40 Rotella T6 with MMO replacing a Q instead is a good COA if cleaning the engine up over the next year is the goal.

I would not be extending the interval so even if somewhat of a waste it's not going to hurt it to use synthetic for the cleaning interval; whether it be a HM synthetic or top-tier just don't use conventional at 5k thinking it'd clean it fast enough only to realize it can't hold the contaminants in suspension as well as a HM or full-synthetic.

The engine oil filter is not designed to clean up the sort of crud dirty engines get filled with. At least not beyond a point, which again is why shorter-OCIs are generally the first step in cleaning an engine.

If the engine was clean, sure it'd be pointless to change a full synthetic or even conventional out early. But the issue with cleaning the engine is not 'value' in oil price, but rather accomplishing the most cleaning as possible which is a bit of an unknown still.

The bare minimum is conventional at 3k intervals, but really with an unknown of 'how dirty' that is a 'get by' approach without spending more for a regimen that at least gives a better chance for more aggressive cleaning, IMO.
49.gif

Last edited:
^I'd like to note 3k on conventional is simply an example, of course 3k miles on conventional for 6+ months in a dirty engine isn't going to be the best approach at cleaning an engine. If you stick with conventional to me that is even more reason to add a quart of MMO for the full OCI be it a shorter one of 3 months or 3k max (whichever comes first
grin2.gif
)

thumbsup2.gif
19.gif

Remember, most of the MMO might burn off (this is something that also is added to fuel remember
laugh.gif
) so be sure to check the oil level weekly at least to be able to top-off the oil with fresh cleaning additives.
grin2.gif
If going this route, ofc.
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Mobil 1 and an Ultra at 4000 miles is a huge waste IMO.

Well if we were talking about gallons of oil, that might be a valid argument. Something like changing a commercial semi truck, with a oil capacity of 10 gallons, at 10,000 miles. But we are talking at most 1.5 gallon here. Most people "waste" more money, on a daily basis, on frivolous stuff that has no useful purpose. At least the motivation of cleaning up an engine is substantive. Something is only a "waste" to a person if they are not comfortable with the cost they incur or it doesn't do what they want. Whether it is a waste to someone else is of no concern.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Mobil 1 and an Ultra at 4000 miles is a huge waste IMO.

Well if we were talking about gallons of oil, that might be a valid argument. Something like changing a commercial semi truck, with a oil capacity of 10 gallons, at 10,000 miles. But we are talking at most 1.5 gallon here. Most people "waste" more money, on a daily basis, on frivolous stuff that has no useful purpose. At least the motivation of cleaning up an engine is substantive. Something is only a "waste" to a person if they are not comfortable with the cost they incur or it doesn't do what they want. Whether it is a waste to someone else is of no concern.

Like I said, it was his money and he could do whatever he wants. I was just identifying the facts and the fiction for future readers.

Merry Christmas my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back