[Cut Open] Fram Ultra XG16 8K

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDW

Mobil 1 5W30

Off a 96 Dodge 3.9L Magnum 190K+ Much improved from the last filter I pulled off this truck , Engine has been neglected for years , Its starting to clean up .

TFU1_zps329db833.jpg

TFU6_zps32bced2e.jpg

TFU2_zps427b71c2.jpg

TFU4_zps70eb64e4.jpg

TFU5_zpse4dfd8d2.jpg

Yep this engine is in my stepsons truck. The last oil change I did on it the canister looked like this . A clean air filter helped a great deal as well
wink.gif

IMG_0519_zpsf129adce.jpg

^Honestly, with a vehicle that sketchy in terms of cleanliness I'd run a high mileage like Max Life full synthetic or M1 High Mileague from walmart.

Maybe even sub out a quart for 1 Q of MMO and be sure to do the short intervals of 3-4k max until you get filters and/or UOA that show less insols as cleaning processes (heck, even fuel system cleaning as well!) are going to increase insols which tell you that cleaning is going on. You just don't want to extend intervals with higher insols. Oil filter can't keep up with that much active cleaning in terms of 1) optimal engine protection and 2) quality oil service life for extending during a cleaning intervals.

I have used a blend of 2 Quarts Rotella T6 5w-40 from Walmart before with 1 Q of Mobil1 0w-30 + the 1Q MMO method. It turned out to be a very stout 30-grade oil; much like high mileage or racing 30-grade oil such as Red Line in terms of viscosity.

That got a nice tick for insols in my case, which let me know it was doing some cleaning. I don't have enough cut open filters as evidence but it was a 20 year old vehicle at the time.

HDEO and high mileage oils may/may not clean 'better' than a standard synthetic of high quality, but it's my belief they tend to handle more in suspension such as a neglected app than synthetics designed for 'maintaining' a clean engine during extended intervals.

Just my .02
19.gif

PS: Not sure if applicable but you could always run something like Red Line SI-1 in the fuel and maybe a combustion chamber cleaner like Amsoil's Power Foam as a piston/intake cleaning and soak before you change the oil. OFC, doing that would make any oil sample perhaps look worse but if you cut open a filter after that? \o/
13.gif

The hype!!!
grin2.gif

Thanks for the info Bull
wink.gif
Will go with a better cleaning oil as well. I put in what he buys, But he listens to me
wink.gif
I have read were this magnum engine is build very well, must be true for this thing keeps on going lol.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
What kind of use does it see? How long did it take for him to drive 8000 miles?

Just a too and from truck for going to work 5 days a week. Took him about 8 months I believe.

^That's not bad in of itself, but not so much for cleaning. As long as he can get it up to temp and isn't severely short-tripping it, that mileage is probably ok once clean.

However, if he could scale it back to say 5 months/5k max during cleanup attempts that might help things along.
thumbsup2.gif

OTOH, if his trips are shorter, etc. then definitely shorten that even further to 3k/4k max if you want to get any sort of lasting progress with regards to cleaning.

Does that truck have a PCV valve?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JDW
Yep this engine is in my stepsons truck. The last oil change I did on it the canister looked like this . A clean air filter helped a great deal as well
wink.gif

IMG_0519_zpsf129adce.jpg

Thats a FRAM ULTRA Oil filter in that pic?

b/c that has a coil spring..

FRAM ULTRA uses a leaf spring.

Mobil 1 5W30

Off a 96 Dodge 3.9L Magnum 190K+ Much improved from the last filter I pulled off this truck , Engine has been neglected for years , Its starting to clean up .

TFU1_zps329db833.jpg

TFU6_zps32bced2e.jpg

TFU2_zps427b71c2.jpg

TFU4_zps70eb64e4.jpg

TFU5_zpse4dfd8d2.jpg

Looks like the FRAM kept the dirt in the filter.. However I hope that filter never went into bypass mode.

I really like Filters that have bypass at the top like Motocraft and MOPAR and NAPA/WIX.

However Im sure the ULTRA does a great job.

Originally Posted By: David1
wink.gif

IMG_0519_zpsf129adce.jpg

I think that's a old pic of a prior run on a different filter.

Originally Posted By: rhhsiao
Originally Posted By: David1
wink.gif

IMG_0519_zpsf129adce.jpg

I think that's a old pic of a prior run on a different filter.

Got that right. It was a carquest red label .

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
What kind of use does it see? How long did it take for him to drive 8000 miles?

Just a too and from truck for going to work 5 days a week. Took him about 8 months I believe.

Id say this is a fair share of highway miles then at basically 250 per week. I was going to suggest shorter OCIs on a quality dino to maybe get the crud out, but Id keep doing what youre doing. Maybe run an oversize filter as others have suggested assuming you have the room.

*If you're concerned about it going into bypass run something cheaper and change it out halfway through the OCI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back