(Cut Open) Bosch 3330

Status
Not open for further replies.
car: 2011 Toyota Tacoma V6 70K miles. Filter was ran for 10k miles, (2) 5k miles OCI. Oil used Mobil 5000. No Tears or problems with the filter.

Uneven pleats don't look very good, Mann seem better built and claim 99% at 9 microns. What is the quoted efficiency of your M1 filter at that size?

Originally Posted By: Olas
Mann seem better built and claim 99% at 9 microns.

I just looked at their website and there is no info on efficiency.

What is the negative on wavy pleats?

I've seen them more on air filters than I have in oil filters.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Sure dodged a bullet! You should buy a lottery ticket

That filter looks perfectly fine.

Are you insinuating that EVERY Purolator-made filter MUST tear while in service?

Originally Posted By: Olas
...Mann seem better built and claim 99% at 9 microns.....

They didn't/don't make that claim as part of the current standard ISO 4548-12 test procedure. As noted when this spec has been referenced previously, it comes from a single word of mouth anecdote regarding one filter dating back to 2003 with no test spec given. And even JAG admitted back in 07 here he couldn't be sure what test procedure(s) (SAE,ISO) was used to obtain the 2003 anecdotal information. Unless published as part of the current ISO test procedure, I have to consider it an unsubstantiated rating.

Back on topic, at 10k miles topic filter looks good imo. No issues noted, so it got the job done with good ROI over two ocis.

Thanks for c&p.

I see nothing wrong with that filter.. sure, the pleats near the seam are a little wide, but not extremely so.

Overall, it looks fine, especially for 10,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Sure dodged a bullet! You should buy a lottery ticket

That filter looks perfectly fine.

Are you insinuating that EVERY Purolator-made filter MUST tear while in service?

Since I've literally seen that exact filter number torn in the past it's definitely not something I'd buy now that I know what happens.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3311309

Since I've literally seen that exact filter number torn in the past it's definitely not something I'd buy now that I know what happens.

I wonder if they have addressed and solved the issue recently

(or maybe this is an "easy on the filter" application?)

Originally Posted By: Linctex

I wonder if they have addressed and solved the issue recently

(or maybe this is an "easy on the filter" application?)

If you haven't seen this you'll know after you look at it. The sad part is this is just a small percentage what was reported even on the forum as its not completely up to date. Imagine also the amount of owners who don't cut open their filters.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3360952/List_of_Purolator_failures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back