[Cut Open] AC Delco PF46E Duraguard GM 5.3 ~ 4703 Mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
PF46E1.jpg

PF46E2.jpg

PF46E3.jpg

PF46E4.jpg

Looks pretty good. The rubber components are pretty stiff, but it was not leaking. This filter had around 4 months on it and there was substantial idle time during this OCI as well.

Oil was bulk Mobil 5/30.

Edit: Some previous runs:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3142769/

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3094964/

Last edited:
Anyone else used these? I know its not better than the Ultra, but they cant be that bad if they come stock on 2010+ GM vehicles.

Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
Anyone else used these? I know its not better than the Ultra, but they cant be that bad if they come stock on 2010+ GM vehicles.

I used to run E-cores for years on many GM cars. They work fine but I only cut open one and it was flawless.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
although i am anti e core this filter looks pretty good

Ditto. The design, if done with tight even pleats is excellent. When you get sloppy, like recent puro pleating, you end up with a recipe for failure when the pleats flatten out against the plastic cage. If they made see-through cans I would use them.

Lots of tight, evenly spaced, pleats is important with *any* design IMO.

This equipment has 130,000 miles on it, I got it when it had 16,000. I don't know what was used in the first 16,000 but while I have had control it has had dealer oil changes with bulk oil and AC Delco filters (except for the two Fram and the one M1 run with one of the Fram). It has always had good oil pressure and I have never had an issue with the filters. This is the first time I have cut one open though.

I'm frankly surprised it looks so good after some of the E-Core hate that gets bandied about.

Incidentally, when I worked in the shop, the OE filter on GM was black, they were sometimes not the same size or appearance as an AC Delco, so they did not appear to be simply black painted AC Delco. Not sure if that is still the case or not.

Add me to the list of being anti-ecore as well and while the filter looks good, AC Delco filters are NOT designed to be run on extended intervals. Being that the filter was used for 4,700 miles, that is fine, but anything beyond that would not be recommended. I wouldn't run an AC Delco filter for 10K miles whether it be the classic version or the e-core version. I wouldn't run an AC Delco filter over 5K miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Add me to the list of being anti-ecore as well and while the filter looks good, AC Delco filters are NOT designed to be run on extended intervals. Being that the filter was used for 4,700 miles, that is fine, but anything beyond that would not be recommended. I wouldn't run an AC Delco filter for 10K miles whether it be the classic version or the e-core version. I wouldn't run an AC Delco filter over 5K miles.

That's funny the GM engineers seem to think they're alright for intervals set by the olm?

Hey, everybody makes mistakes!

I am a die hard GM guy, but there are better filters out there over what GM supplies for their engines. GM is a company that looks at any way to save a penny. You can run the AC Delco filters for the intervals set by the OLM, but don't expect the best filtration capabilities. I would run the AC Delco filters, but not past 5K mile intervals.

Last edited:

I am a die hard GM guy, but there are better filters out there over what GM supplies for their engines. GM is a company that looks at any way to save a penny. You can run the AC Delco filters for the intervals set by the OLM, but don't expect the best filtration capabilities. I would run the AC Delco filters, but not past 5K mile intervals.

I Love E-Cores. I think do an excellent job. Ive used them out to 10k miles, and i would again no questions asked

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08

I Love E-Cores. I think do an excellent job. Ive used them out to 10k miles, and i would again no questions asked

To each his own I guess. You are very brave, my friend!

Originally Posted By: JBinTX30

They don't come from the factory with the e-core model filter. The standard filters (i.e. original non ecore style with metal tube) are what GM installs on new engines. Both filters are available to us at stores...the one's with an "E" after the part number is the e-core model. Your truck would have came with a PF46.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back