Custom homemade motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm, I though adds had to be in specific proportions and some work better when not in the presence of others. I would mix across the Mobil 1 SS-line, nothing else.

(Terry Wrote:It would NOT be API certified but would exceed that weak standard.) I hope all you who are so narrowminded to think that API is the best oil can be if they use their guidelines.standards are set to keep prices low and not give you anything extra to make a superior oil.The use of a custom made oil for your needs can be great. No restrictions that the oil companys have to comply to make a product as good as they can due to cost restrictions. I bet Shell Oil when blending Racecar oil pull out all the stops. Terry I feel has the ability to come up with a Blend for a Engine that by his contacts and his own experence should formulate as good a product or better.Go one better ask Terry if in his opnion he can he improve on any product on the market.Were giving him a honest chance to show what he can do.He may say the AMSOIL S2K your using is as good as you may get from your car.Now if your useing Coastal 40wt. non detergent anyone could improve on that. He would be mixing a oil that in his opinion is missing from the market.
tongue.gif

I'm using 4 quarts of Mobil1 10w-30 and 1 quart of Redline 10w-30, on paper it seems like the perfect mix. My UOA posted on my Turbo Dodge showed excellent wear numbers. I am just finishing a run of 3 quarts Mobil1 10w-30 with 2 quarts of Redline to be used as a comparison. I also have a sample of 5 quarts 10w-40 Redline to be sent in as a third comparison. My next run will be 5 quarts of Mobi1l 10w-30. I figure by the end of September I should have a good idea of what mix or straight fluid works best on this car. But so far the initial recipe appears to be protecting extremely well.

We shouldnt fear mixing of oils IMO. Always worth experimenting to some degree. I'm not totally sold on buying a recipe but if it works and people dont mind paying then all the power.

quote:

Originally posted by Idrinkmotoroil:
I'm using 4 quarts of Mobil1 10w-30 and 1 quart of Redline 10w-30, on paper it seems like the perfect mix.

Seems like Redline is the perfect oil to mix a little of into something else. Or one might consider Redline an additive. I am thinking a quart of Redline might really beef up a basic dino oil. Sort of a homemixed "Start Up" but likely with a lot more esters than Start Up. Also the redline esters would really clean up the engine over time--I would think.

Isn't there an article talking about concocting custom blend oils for vehicles based on all the affecting factors? Like driving characteristics, temperatures, age of vehicle, etc. Thought it interviewed the Valvoline folks, who thought this was the inevitable future of the business. It may still be in our "interesting articles" section.

Go for it, Terry. Exxon/Mobil needs more competition!

I put this in another thread but it applies to this one more.In its mildest form, mixing different lubricants may lead to a degradation of lubricant performance. Mixing the same API grades of synthetic passenger car motor oil and mineral oil-based engine oil won’t damage the engine, but you will lose the performance features you expect from the synthetic.Lubricants made with synthetic base stocks should not be mixed with products made with mineral oil, even if they are designed for the same application. The limited exceptions include some PAO and ester-based products. Even then, compatibility is often concentration-dependent. Deposits may form because of additive incompatibility or seal compatibility may be compromised.

Additives impart special performance features to the finished oil.
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back