Currently availible Dex II or Dex III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1988 BMW 325i with a 4-sp ZF automatic that calls for Dexron II ATF.

I know that GM dropped the DII a long time ago, and more recently dropped DIII.

What brands still sell a decent Dexron III fluid? I see Castrol sells a domestic multi-vehicle fluid, Pennzoils sell a similar ATF. Also Walmart sells gallons of ATF that says it's suitable for DIII applications.

Any suggestions?

If you can find a Wally World that sells Valvoline Dex/Merc or High Mileage Dex/Merc I would use that.
Also Shop around for Mobil 1 Multi-vehicle.

I have used them in cars requiring Mercon V stuff, and plan on using them in my '04 Xterra that requires Dex III.

Lots of manufacturers still make fluids that meet the old Dexron III spec, but cannot call it that due to GM's restrictions. Chevron has ATF MD-3 for example.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Valvoline Maxlife

+1 Have had excellent results using Maxlife Dexron/Mercon. Actually improved the shifting. I started doing 15K drain and fills at 30K. Will be doing it again soon at 60K.

Originally Posted By: Vaca

What brands still sell a decent Dexron III fluid? I see Castrol sells a domestic multi-vehicle fluid, Pennzoils sell a similar ATF. Also Walmart sells gallons of ATF that says it's suitable for DIII applications.

Any suggestions?

I use Mercon V in my BMW and it works fantastic

Blue, does your 735 have the same ZF 4HP 22 transmission?

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: Vaca

Any suggestions?

I use Mercon V in my BMW and it works fantastic

Thanks for that info, that Maxlife is DVI approved.

I'd really like to stick with a basic (probably GI or GII) DIII fluid and change often. It's simple to change the ATF in this car...like 5 or 10 minutes...just drain and refill.

Also the car has well over 250,000 miles (Odo is broken)and the tranny was rebuilt about 8 or 10 years ago, and is working great.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Maxlife is good fluid, but with it being DexVI approved, its actually thinner than any older DexII/III fluids...

Originally Posted By: ericgl
Lots of manufacturers still make fluids that meet the old Dexron III spec, but cannot call it that due to GM's restrictions. Chevron has ATF MD-3 for example.

How do you know that it's really in specs. I highly doubt it since they can use cheaper stuff/cut corners and won't have anyone to bring the hammer down on them. I would only use something that is licensed.

TES389 is the Allison spec for Dex/Merc when Gm/Ford abandoned it.

http://www.havoline.com/products/na/trans_md3_tech.html

And remember, just because a license doesn't exist doesn't mean they forgot how to make the Dex/Merc ATF. The reputation of the company is good for some. This is why if you want to use a generic Dex/Merc ATF, stick with a name brand product.

It sucks you aren't in Canada. I just recently myself picked up some of Petro Canada's DuraDrive MV fluid. DexII/III rated. Would work awesome in your Q.

It may be available in the U.S. though, they do have an American contact #. Try it!

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Maxlife is good fluid, but with it being DexVI approved, its actually thinner than any older DexII/III fluids...

Maxlife is "recommended for DexVI" not licensed and if you read the data sheets you will find that it's viscosity is higher than allowed by the DexVI specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back