95 Accord Transmission Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that it has been discussed in other thread but they other members always say they used Mobil/Amsoil ATF fluid as a replacement for Honda ATF-Z1.

In my owner manual, it states I can use Honda Premium Automatic Transmission fluid or Dexron II equivalent.

The word "temporary", ism't mention anywhere in the paragraph I believe Honda add the phase "only recommended Honda ATF-Z1 or Dexron III as a add temporary replacement" in 98+ Owner manuals.

So the question is.

Can I use any generic brand of ATF that meets "Dexron III" specs? (since Dex III superseded Dex II specs anyways?)

Like Walmart SuperTech Dexron III
Autozone Coastal Dexron III ATF
or Castrol Dexron III (there are two version, one for import and another one for domestics)

Is there a difference in Domestic/import version of Castrol Dexron III? (ie Friction modifiers Additives) or is that just marketing since the import version cost about $1 more per quart

95 Accord LX 4 banger

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!!!

What did the amsoil web site have to say? I believe they have a very nice list of what works in every car, and of course wont list an item if it wont work.

i just put in 3 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. I believe this is a new formula. i have a 98 Honda. Personally, i wouldnt put any of the oils u listed there. Honda transmissions are very sensitive. The only 3 ATFs i would use are Honda Z1, Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, and Amsoil Synthetic ATF.

I just changed ATF in my 96 Integra... put in the MaxLife Dex/Merc- shifts like a champ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back