Castrol Domestic Multi-Vehicle ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will I be able to use "Castrol domestic Multi-Vehicle ATF" that calls for Dexron III? On the bottle, it says "for use in older Ford& General Motors vehicles...recommended for use in all 2005 and prior GM automatic transmissions." But it does not say anything about Dexron. Basically, it does not specify the fluid type. I was guessing that this was renamed to current Castrol DEX/MERC Domestic Multi–Vehicle ATF. I have a toyota and a volvo that call for Dexron III.

I'm uncomfortable with one-size-works-for-all. Usually the wording is "Suitable for use in XXXX transmissions". I prefere statements like Approved for use in XXXX. Suitable may work fine but, will it provide the best shifting qualities and have a long life? JMO. Ed

Since Dex III doesn't exist as a specification, you will be fine using a Dex III labeled product from a reputable company. I would put Castrol in that league.

That said, I'm not intimately familiar with "Castrol Domestic Multi-Vehicle ATF". What does the Castrol web site and tech support say?

EDIT - Duh I just clicked on the link in BTLew81's post. There you go.

Last edited:
If I were you I'd also consider Maxlife Dex/Merc. I have a Mazda MPV that takes Dexron, and Maxlife has been the best yet in my transmission.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9012211&contentId=7024042

At the bottom of that website, it sort of implies that the product has been renamed. But, the ones that I got from walmart for $7 per gallon does not specify the fluid type at all. My guess is that it's just Dexron III renamed to Domestic Multi-Vehicle ATF.
It does NOT say DEX/MERC Domestic Multi-Vehicle.
In the back, it says
-Enhanced friction durability for smooth transmission performance.
-Recommended for use in all 1983 to 1996 Ford automatic transmissions. Use Castrol type F ATF in applications calling for Type F. Do not use this ATF in applications calling for MERCON V or MERCON SP.
-Recommended for use in all 2005 and prior GM automatic transmissions. Do not use this ATF in applications calling for DEXRON VI.

Doesn't it sound like what it says on the back of every Dexron III bottle?

I'm planning on using it in my cars that call for Dexron III.

They had some of the same ATF at WM for $1/qt that has "meets DexIII" on the label. I got those and left the other labeled ones. Apparently some are re-labeled as the label was exactly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back