Cure ticking lifters with ATF

ATF is a glorified hydraulic oil. It has no purpose being in an engine under any circumstances. Typical KV100 values for Dex VI is ~6 cSt which is equivalent to about a 0w-12 engine oil.

MMO is 70% pale oil with small amounts of alcohol, naphtha, and chlorine. I'd pass.

Detergents don't actually "deterge" as the name is a bit of a misnomer here. Detergents (in this sense) are acid neutralizers most commonly in the form of calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate. These are also found in the medicine aisle under the names Tums and Milk of Magnesia. The same way they neutralize acids in your stomach that cause heartburn and indigestion, they neutralize acids in the oil that cause oxidation and corrosion. Detergents exist to keep the oil clean, not clean the engine.

The only thing that belongs in an engine is a fully formulated engine oil. I don't like supplements. If the oil you're using isn't cutting it and you're having issues, use a better oil.

Thanks, not that i have any problem with my engines but this is something i just can't wrap my head around, looking at all the "Fixing a lifter tick is easy, i usually pour 1 qt of ATF in and it works most of the time!" videos and topics. Makes no sense.

A lot of the ticking people are worried about is the high pressure fuel injectors used in the DI engines. It’s like a modern diesel engine where you can hear the injectors clicking and tickin.

Isn't atf rather slippery. Although the oil is the same viscosity as motor oil the motor oil may cling before it gets to where it needs to go If the inside isn't perfectly clean. Sludge may make detergent oil cling to it while slippery "detergent virgin" as someone on here once called it can just float around and leech itself into places. Personally I'd just order a $25 jug of Pennzoil ultra platinum on wm.com and run it after dumping a half quart of naphtha into the oil before changing the oil to ultra p.
This may help.

ATF is NOT more "slippery." "Slippery" has nothing to do with the solvency of or the removal of carbonaceous deposits.

ATF is not formulated to be an engine cleaner regardless of what some may say.

Attachments

• ATF as an Engine Cleaner 2.pdf
    74.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
This may help.

ATF is NOT more "slippery." "Slippery" has nothing to do with the solvency of or the removal of carbonaceous deposits.

ATF is not formulated to be an engine cleaner regardless of what some may say.
Please read the post carefully as I never said slipperiness was detergent but that lack of detergent may allows the oil to possibly not try to grab and allow it to slide and provide lubrication in an engine that has a high probability of being dirty or sludged. Also read my previous replies to others first before reacting as I stated more information such as not using atf and that If one is having issues to where the issue could possibly be remedied by atf it would be more beneficial to flush an engine with naphtha (base for many engine flushes and is rather safe) then use a very detergent oil afterwards. I never said to put atf in an engine. I said to clean it as that's where the problem would most likely be in responses shortly after my first comment. Not to band aid it with atf.

Only oil belongs in the oil sump/oil pan. I don't care for MMO or the LM ceratec mumbo jumbo. Use a thicker oil or try a oil heavy in moly, esters or both.

Please read the post carefully as I never said slipperiness was detergent but that lack of detergent may allows the oil to possibly not try to grab and allow it to slide and provide lubrication in an engine that has a high probability of being dirty or sludged. Also read my previous replies to others first before reacting as I stated more information such as not using atf and that If one is having issues to where the issue could possibly be remedied by atf it would be more beneficial to flush an engine with naphtha (base for many engine flushes and is rather safe) then use a very detergent oil afterwards. I never said to put atf in an engine. I said to clean it as that's where the problem would most likely be in responses shortly after my first comment. Not to band aid it with atf.
Please read my PDF file as it contains background information as to why ATF is not a good engine cleaner.

There is no need to get defensive here as I am simply providing technical information to clear up some misunderstandings about ATF as a cleaner.

This information is being provided to ALL present and future BITOG readers who may have or will ask the same question.

I'm no fan of oil additives but once I had a Mercedes 300se with noisy lifters and added this;
Noise was gone in about 20 miles.
1621894065019.png

Please read my PDF file as it contains background information as to why ATF is not a good engine cleaner.

There is no need to get defensive here as I am simply providing technical information to clear up some misunderstandings about ATF as a cleaner.

This information is being provided to ALL present and future BITOG readers who may have or will ask the same question.
i did read your informative pdf and i do agree with it as i also said before to use other means of cleaning an engine such as proven flushing chemicals and a high detergent oil. i called atf virgin of detergents and that it doesn't clean although base stocks by themselves can have an effect as i said both base stock and detergents can influence an oils detergency when responding to Pimtac about why i'd use Pennzoil ultra platinum. in your pdf it said "Pennzoil uses PEG's for dirt and sludge precursor solvency" and that "Naphthenic base oils and the sperm whale oils have solvent action" both of which i agree on.

That was always my take as well.
Back then it purely was. actually cracked open a bottle of atf type A a while back and it smelled exactly like hydraulic oil, just colored red. modern atf's are more distinct. The new dex/merc lv and ulv don't seem like hydraulic oil. I'm a bit worried about that very low viscosity dex/merc ULV in my new truck. stuff is rather thin. but the fluid dynamics of that annoying 10 speed cant allow anything else. i prefer the 4spd in both my old gmc's. The 10 speed shifts too much and the first gear could be eliminated entirely imo. if it blows ive heard the 6L series can be swapped in which i may do.

To answer your question, I have never heard of someone using ATF in anything but AT and Power Steering. I am not aware of a secret ingredient.

I'm no fan of oil additives but once I had a Mercedes 300se with noisy lifters and added this;
Noise was gone in about 20 miles.
View attachment 58143
I have told this story before but here is the short version. I was on an 8 hour trip to see my dad when the 2003 PathFinder I had at the time was suffering rounds of repeated power loss. My dad sent me to his mechanic who was a former Nissan Mechanic and who diagnosed it as carbon in the VVT valve. He recommended this stuff but didn't have any on hand so I went to town and bought a quart. I was hesitant but poured in about 16 ounces initially just to see if that much would do any good and about 15 miles later, engine power was restored back to normal.

I had a Ford F-150 with a terrible and scary sounding lifter ticking away. Rislone cleared it up in less than 100 miles. Probably the only oil additive that I would ever use.

Back