Cure ticking lifters with ATF

I have seen countless stories from people saying that they cured noisy lifters with ATF, even techs who swear it helps more often than not. I've been reading bitog for a while now and it is well established that ATF isn't a very good detergent or anything. Yet it seems to work. Is there any possible explanation why? A secret ingredient besides the usual additives not shown in regular VOAs?

iirc, mola said atf is thin, with minimal additive content. i wonder how that should fix anything.
maybe just being thin does the job somehow ?

Isn't atf rather slippery. Although the oil is the same viscosity as motor oil the motor oil may cling before it gets to where it needs to go If the inside isn't perfectly clean. Sludge may make detergent oil cling to it while slippery "detergent virgin" as someone on here once called it can just float around and leech itself into places. Personally I'd just order a $25 jug of Pennzoil ultra platinum on wm.com and run it after dumping a half quart of naphtha into the oil before changing the oil to ultra p.

Isn't atf rather slippery. Although the oil is the same viscosity as motor oil the motor oil may cling before it gets to where it needs to go If the inside isn't perfectly clean. Sludge may make detergent oil cling to it while slippery "detergent virgin" as someone on here once called it can just float around and leech itself into places. Personally I'd just order a $25 jug of Pennzoil ultra platinum on wm.com and run it after dumping a half quart of naphtha into the oil before changing the oil to ultra p.
I think there’s a reason it’s called automatic transmisssion fluid and not “motor oil”.

I would Highly NOT recommend you out ATF in a ENGINE

What is unique about Ultra Platinum that it will clean engines?

As for the naptha idea, go ahead and use it in your motors. I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone else.

I think there’s a reason it’s called automatic transmisssion fluid and not “motor oil”.

I would Highly NOT recommend you out ATF in a ENGINE
Me neither. I wouldn't recommend atf in an engine either since it has no place to be in one but Im just stating how it can possibly work for some. But if you're having an issue that the atf is trying to remedy it would be best to actually remedy the issue itself which is most likely a dirty engine making motor oil try to cling to the filth with highly detergent oil such as ultra platinum has shown to be and naphtha is just a main ingredient in a lot of engine flushes. I use it in my diesel kubota every now and then. Have used it in my gas engines once just to see if they can pull anything and it probably busted up some varnish because it did darken up a bit pretty fast but only a little.

What is unique about Ultra Platinum that it will clean engines?

As for the naptha idea, go ahead and use it in your motors. I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone else.
All motor oils are gonna be detergent from their base stock and detergents but ultra platinum does seem to clean more than just a regular oil as others also say and some have posted analysis's on. I'd use it once if I had to clean a dirty engine up. Other than that I'd just get the regular platinum for normal changes.

Use liqui moly engine flush two times, do it for this oil change then wait another 5k or however long the 2nd oil change interval is then the 3rd oil change run liqui moly again, should do somethin.

It has been said that MMO is just ATF. Anyone prove or refute that?
I believe I saw an sds of it being like a diesel based thing with a few other things with mint scent because it did smell like it. It's too thick to be atf. You can just shake the clear bottle around. A Naphtha and kerosene base is common for engine and fuel treatments.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. And usually, you only substitute 1 quart of ATF for 1 quart of oil. If it’s a GM Vortec V-8, forget about trying it. You are going to have to fix it.

I believe I saw an sds of it being like a diesel based thing with a few other things with mint scent because it did smell like it. It's too thick to be atf. You can just shake the clear bottle around. A Naphtha and kerosene base is common for engine and fuel treatments.
No, MMO is NOT ATF. They are both colored red, hence the confusion. MMO is a form of Stoddard's oil (what ever that is)
and not even close to ATF.

My 2¢

No, MMO is NOT ATF. They are both colored red, hence the confusion. MMO is a form of Stoddard's oil (what ever that is)
and not even close to ATF.

My 2¢
Yeah to me it's just a fancy kerosene with something else, red coloring, and a mint leaf. Seafoam is mostly naphtha with a bit of denatured alcohol I believe and another thing but the naphtha is what does a lot of work and why people say to use it in a crank case.

Back