CSB: Getting new wheels installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I was getting new wheels installed at a highly-rated TireRack installer.... ($15 per wheel)…

[Linked Image]IMG_20190525_131057415_HDR by thisistan, on Flickr

So the guy at the shop was telling me: "Your tires are 2 years old, you need to buy new tires".... then he tells me "Nokians ride stiff, you need a softer riding tire"... then he tells me, "You should consider getting Hankooks"

My thoughts....
if you're going to harass me about age of tires.... and if I buy tires from you, they better be brand spanking new from a 2019 date code... if they put on a 2017 or older date code tire, I will be demanding new tires.

the Nokian Z-line A/S are pretty comfortable, and I like cornering grip also..... and no Hankook tire interests me at the moment. I rather use Nexen instead if I wanted a Korean brand tire

and oh, they chipped the paint on my new wheels at the lug hole (it happens, not too [censored] about it).

I very recently had my Yukon in at Discount Tire for a scheduled rotation. Had the tires put on there, and this is my 3rd rotation on this set. My previous visits were always great - in and out very quickly, with no issues. The staff is usually very friendly and helpful, always helping me find the best deal. This time, the technician finishes the rotation and comes in to tell me I need new wheels due to chrome peeing and corrosion. Really? I need 4 new wheels - all 4 at the same time? (Very little peeling BTW). He explained that the corrosion can cause the wheel to crack (never heard this) but he did mention it can corrode the bead of the wheel and cause the tires to not seat and leak. I've had this issue on my ‘98 Chevy, so I'm very familiar with this - I always take a wire wheel and various grits of sandpaper to get it nice and smooth again. I argued that he only rotated/balanced the tires, and did not have the tires off, therefore he could not determine what shape the wheel beads are in. These tires have held their pressure without issue. I also pointed out the last 2 rotations were at this same store, and they never mentioned anything about needing new wheels.

He was embarrassed, but stood by his opinion I needed new wheels. I told him to please finish the rotation and I would be on my way. My wife didn't understand why this upset me so much - I just think of all the folks who don't know any better and drop coin on a new set of wheels, needlessly.

It's hard to find good tire places now. To me discount tire has been slipping. I've had to take my Buick back because the installers can't seem to balance a tire to save their life on two occasions. Last weekend I took the Mazda to discount for a rotate and balance and because one of the rear tires lost a lot of air and I had to add air during the week. I told the guy to balance and rotate and check one of the rear tires for a nail. I just couldnt remember which one. They do the work and send me on my way. I didn't even ask about the nail. I should have. Fast forward to the middle of the week one
of my front tires gets low. I go back on Saturday and tell the guy my tire is still leaking. He goes to check it out. He bends down and looks at it and says something that came off as smart assed bout I wasn't sure what he meant so I asked him. He replied that he doesn't see a nail. Duh. Theres a good chance you won't since the wheel is installed on the car. He said is was probably a wheel corroding and causing a leak. Sure it is. When we get inside he questions the front tire even being low because last week I told them the rear . Didn't I and your computer just tell you I came in last week for a rotation? Anyway they took it in and found a nail. I was not surprised.
And the first guy they sent to get my car had to run back inside and send someone else to get the car because he couldn't drive a manual.

My favorite Tirerack installer is fantastic. I use them for repairs if I need a professional. But, I always ask for my favorite technician, and if he is booked up I tell them I can wait for an appointment. They are really close, and are really good, but they are also expensive. Most of the staff knows me, and they never attempt to upsell me.

My local Discount Tire guys have a straight shooter manager and mostly car guys that don't pull that stuff, from what I can see. It is the new "green" guys the come in that think they know everything in 1 month of employment in the tire industry like the kid who couldn't drive a manual you have to watch out for.

The Nevada Tire Rack warehouse is nearby so I drive over there and pick up my tires. Years ago I asked the employee who filled my order about the best installer. He suggested an independent shop that wasn't even on the Tire Rack installer list. I've been taking my tires there for a decade now and I try to go to local independently owned shops as much as possible. An added benefit is that more of my money stays in the local economy. And, I've never run into anyone working there who couldn't drive a stick shift.

Gotta love the generalizations out there from people... I'm sure he knows that ALL model of Nokians "ride stiff".
crazy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back