Cruze 1.4t

I'm coming up on my bi yearly change for the 2013 cruze. Looking for some input. My cars got 110k, I usually run shell 93 and keep my oci under 5k. On my shelf I got 5W30 rgt and some edge 0w40. This will be what I consider my cold weather fill. Here in tn it dosent get too cold though..question is which of the two aforementioned options would you go with? I just received a Walmart gift card so other suggestions are considered also..as long as is from wally. Thanks!

Last edited:
Wouldn't worry about Dexos on something out of warranty. And certainly wouldn't waste money on 93 octane.
Over at the cruzetalk forums theres several threads that lead me to use 93. People mentioning timing retarding, less pep etc. Also the newer ones had holes being burnt into pistons and 93 seemed to prevent that from my reading. Knock on wood but I havent had a single issue with my cruze so I'm going to keep on doing what im doing.

Over at the cruzetalk forums theres several threads that lead me to use 93. People mentioning timing retarding, less pep etc. Also the newer ones had holes being burnt into pistons and 93 seemed to prevent that from my reading.
I've been on that forum for years, but just like anything else on the internet, you take advice from people who suggest K&N cold air intakes, fuel additives or E3 spark plugs, with a grain of salt. If you're burning holes into pistons, it's not because of regular gas.

"so i'm going to keep on doing what i'm doing"
Best advice to take !
you know what seems to be working for your car so far at 110k.

Over at the cruzetalk forums theres several threads that lead me to use 93. People mentioning timing retarding, less pep etc. Also the newer ones had holes being burnt into pistons and 93 seemed to prevent that from my reading. Knock on wood but I havent had a single issue with my cruze so I'm going to keep on doing what im doing.
Keep doing what your doing. I'm in the camp of "I'd rather be safe than sorry". We run 93 (Shell V-Power) in our Jetta 1.4 TSI for a variety of reasons, mainly due to greater protection against pre-ignition and more detergents vs. other grades.

Most owners manuals state: "87 Required"
What most don't understand, is this is the minimum amount of octane that's permitted.
There's a large difference with that and 91/93 octane which is "Recommended" by many manufacturers (and is what most use for testing and R&D).

Can you run your vehicle on 87?
Sure! but just don't expect the performance, longevity or reliability the manufacturer designed it for.

Last edited:
I've been on that forum for years, but just like anything else on the internet, you take advice from people who suggest K&N cold air intakes, fuel additives or E3 spark plugs, with a grain of salt. If you're burning holes into pistons, it's not because of regular gas.
I know theres a lot of rediculos stuff said over there but I'm trying make this car last as long as possible. I know one guy over there has over 500k miles on his. I guess I should look over his posts to figure out what hes doing

I remember back a few years ago, when GM-Holden was still selling cars in Australia, for the 1.4 iTi Cruze, GM Australia said to run the thicker Dexos2 oil (ACEA C3 based) rather than the thinner Dexos1 oil (ILSAC based). They said this engine was hard on oil when I asked around.

This was back in the D1-G1 days, not sure what they said when D1-G2 came out.

I remember back a few years ago, when GM-Holden was still selling cars in Australia, for the 1.4 iTi Cruze, GM Australia said to run the thicker Dexos2 oil (ACEA C3 based) rather than the thinner Dexos1 oil (ILSAC based). They said this engine was hard on oil when I asked around.

This was back in the D1-G1 days, not sure what they said when D1-G2 came out.
I've heard this too. At one point I was convinced that dexos 2 was what I was going to do, then I've read more recent things that had me questioning it. If m1 esp wasnt so high I'd probably go with that with zero concerns but I think the euro l was what I would have to settle with. I'm starting to get the feeling it dosent matter what I use. Maybe that's the key to no problems with these cars just use whatevers handy ha..I've used a lot of diffrent things. Magnatec is in it now..

Back