Cruze 1.4t

I have a 2013 Cruze 1.4 with a turbo.
I've also got a 2008 nissan quest 3.5.
I'm wanting to stock up on an oil that will
serve them both. I'm leaning toward castrol 0w40 which I know will be fine for the van but not sure about the cruze.
I know castrol is not dexos approved but I'm seeking input from everyone...

I have a 2013 Cruze 1.4 with a turbo.
I've also got a 2008 nissan quest 3.5.
I'm wanting to stock up on an oil that will
serve them both. I'm leaning toward castrol 0w40 which I know will be fine for the van but not sure about the cruze.
I know castrol is not dexos approved but I'm seeking input from everyone...

Any Dexos approved 5W30 will do (assuming your Nissan specs a 5W30).

VQ engines shear oil down quickly, so a 0 or 5W40 synthetic is a good choice, check with the Cruze owners manual to see if the Turbo can use a -40 synthetic?

I owned a 2014 Cruze 1.4T until it got totaled several months ago with about 150,000 miles on the clock. I ran 0w-30, 5w-30, 10w-30, 5w-40, and 15w-40 depending on the season. All was fine with each different viscosity.
Thanks, that inspires some confidence with the 0w40. I'd like to get 200k out of mine...

The cam phaser seals will leak, but it takes about 2 minutes to change both. The PCV valve is built into the intake and is problematic. You'll almost certainly have to replace the intake at some point. Otherwise, I found the trans and engine to be solid.
Thanks, I've read all about the intake issues over at cruzetalk. At 105k mi my check valve is still in place though. I suspect it will break off and get sucked in very soon..

Daughter inherited the wifes Cruze when she got her license. It was purchased new and ran almost any syn dexos 5w30 for the 100k power train warranty. Been running 0w40 and 5w40 for the last couple years without issue. Advice above from wwilson is solid.

I use Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy in my Dad’s 2012 1.4 Turbo Cruze...

Runs great, Dexos approved...

If you do not use the recommended oil viscosity, you will cook the oil in the turbos oil lines, and clog them, killing the turbo’s bearings...

I use Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy in my Dad’s 2012 1.4 Turbo Cruze...

Runs great, Dexos approved...

If you do not use the recommended oil viscosity, you will cook the oil in the turbos oil lines, and clog them, killing the turbo’s bearings...
Yea the turbo is what concerns me..I've actually got m1 0w30 afe in it right now.
Just looking to consolidate...

If you keep an eye on NAPA, the have Mobil 1 products on sale around twice a year...

RockAuto has Mobil 1, but watch the shipping...

OEM’s that approve the 0w40 Euro lubes use plenty turbo engines …
The older Cruze engines are not direct injection either …
Yea I searched for opel 1.4 (same engine) and m1 0w40 is mentioned often..figured castrol 0w40 is just as good. Either way I've read enough that I'm comfortable with
a 0w40 in the cruze.

Reactions: 4WD
They sold the 1.4 iTi turbo Cruze in Australia for awhile. Back then GM Australia said to use a thicker Dexos2 oil (not Dexos1-Gen2) in that engine. This is effectively a Euro C3 oil, mid-SAPS version of the M1 0W40 A3/B4 full-SAPS oil talked about above, both are Euro full synthetic high HTHS oils.

What is your OCI ?
You could use a Dexos2 (ACEA C3) oil in both for about a 6k miles OCI.
I believe the new Corvette runs a Dexos2 oil.

Back