Cruze 1.4t

Over at the cruzetalk forums theres several threads that lead me to use 93. People mentioning timing retarding, less pep etc. Also the newer ones had holes being burnt into pistons and 93 seemed to prevent that from my reading. Knock on wood but I havent had a single issue with my cruze so I'm going to keep on doing what im doing.
+1 on 93 octane especially in summer. My rule of thumb is 93 degrees outside needs 93 octane in the tank, or the car gets sluggish. When it’s not hot I can get away with 89 though. These observations are from over 250,000 miles on a 2011 Cruze and 56,000 on a 2019.

On a small displacement turbo GM car, I'd be making sure what you're using is Dexos1G2 or atleast API SP/GF-6A, I'm not sure how well I'd trust a more old school high SAPS high calcium euro oil in a GM TGDI engine that's the whole reason why the Dexos1G2 spec exists, and SP and GF-6A added LSPI requirements from GM and Ford for protecting their small displacement turbo engines.

On a small displacement turbo GM car, I'd be making sure what you're using is Dexos1G2 or atleast API SP/GF-6A, I'm not sure how well I'd trust a more old school high SAPS high calcium euro oil in a GM TGDI engine that's the whole reason why the Dexos1G2 spec exists, and SP and GF-6A added LSPI requirements from GM and Ford for protecting their small displacement turbo engines.
I'm inclined to think this as well, it's just I had some edge 0w40 left over from an old vehicle that got traded. One note however this is the older gen cruze without di.

I've heard this too. At one point I was convinced that dexos 2 was what I was going to do, then I've read more recent things that had me questioning it. If m1 esp wasnt so high I'd probably go with that with zero concerns but I think the euro l was what I would have to settle with. I'm starting to get the feeling it dosent matter what I use. Maybe that's the key to no problems with these cars just use whatevers handy ha..I've used a lot of diffrent things. Magnatec is in it now..
I've just checked, they (GM-Australia) now suggest a 5W30 that's Dexos1-Gen2, which makes sense.

We ran a 2013 to 100k on mostly 5W30 M1 and then switched to 0W40 M1 (5k)
The car was hard on ATF … did Dex VI every 20k (gallon, really easy to measure what came out)

Just mid Exxon because it ran better on that … traded at 145K

We ran a 2013 to 100k on mostly 5W30 M1 and then switched to 0W40 M1 (5k)
The car was hard on ATF … did Dex VI every 20k (gallon, really easy to measure what came out)

Just mid Exxon because it ran better on that … traded at 145K
I made the mistake of not measuring the atf I took out. I use a scanner to measure the trans temp and fill it at 182f or something..its a pita.

Reactions: 4WD
Back