Crunch noise when braking once, now nothing.

I have an 09 Buick LaCrosse that loves money more than most women. Today I was leaving a walmart parking lot when I came to a stop sign. Upon braking I heard a Crunch from the front brakes and abs activated.

Upon getting to my destination I checked the rotors since the car braked fine afterwards and there was no gouging or grooves like you'd expect from metal on metal.

A quick search online points to the abs reluctor wheel however I have no abs light on.

What in the world happened?

Sensor fault, rusty reluctor wheel, or other fleeting electrical fault that made it think the wheel isn’t rotating. Not every problem throws a code or turns on a light.

All of the above mentioned plus perhaps a rock was stuck between the rotor and dust shield.

Well last night abs activated during a low speed stop and ABS and TC lights came on.

Codes are:
Left front wheel speed sensor circuit malfunction
EBCM malfunction

I still suspect the reluctor wheel. Headed to the dealership here in bit.

Abs reluctor wheel cut into the bearing housing and damaged the sensor. Wiring harness is damaged.. Pass rear bearing has lots of lateral movement. Rack and pinion is leaking.

Original repair quote: $3100

Talked them down to $1444

Oh and my brake fluid is 4% water. Yay me.

Last edited:
Still nothing from the dealership. Figured they'd have it done quick but I guess I was wrong. Maybe this evening or tomorrow.

Got the car back yesterday. They Knocked $32 off the bill and everything is fine now. The shake I had I even gone now.

Back