Crown Vic Police Interceptor-- a value?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went from driving 60K+ miles per year to now barely starting up the car every 3 days, and staying within a 5 mile radius. We do weekend trips that are ~300 miles to visit the in-laws, and the occasional trip back to CA. I have been looking for something that can take the beating of our TERRIBLE Houston roads, have great A/C (which will be on all the time), and get over 20mpg on the hwy. We have a little girl, so a big backseat would be great and have room for the dog and enough trunk space to fit a lawnmower or a set of tires :). May be required to tow a shifter kart/small utility trailer.

I have always loved the '03+ Crown Vic Police Interceptor Package cars, they look tough and have a lot of upgrades from the standard CV.

They are all over Craigslist for $1500 to $5K tops, and are ex-Police or Government vehicles with "good" service records.

So are these large sedans a good "value" as compared to buying a newer car, considering my lack of miles to drive? I know there are a few CVPI owners here, so now is your time to speak up!

The police package only includes a few things to differ it from the regular crown vic. It is usually transmission coolers, and different radiator hoses.

I would steer clear of most government of police cars as they have been absolutely whipped, but maintained in the most part.

You will want one that is 2001+ as they switched over to the revised heads and cams, and made more power.

These cars will run absolutely forever, and take tons of abuse.

I would take a look at a regular crown vic, or a marquis.

Make sure the fluid in the transmission looks clean, and was serviced. Other than that, they are bulletproof.

As long as you don't mind the miserable fuel mileage of the vic, i've driven cars in excess of 500K miles on them that still run. The civilian vics are very cheap now as well, I personally wouldnt get the p-71 becuase they will have the search lights, holes all over the dash and roof b/c of the light bar and interior electronic mounts. Also there is no carpet, just rubber mats and uncomfortable seats in the front that are mismatched with the back usually b/c the front seats are cloth and rear are vinyl. You also may or may not have holes in the B-pillars from the cage if so equipped. If you dont mind those cosmetic things and get a good deal by all means.

Go for it. If I lived in Texas I would get one. Bigger is better in Texas. You'll fit right in.

Check the brakes.

Hopefully they will give you a service record so you will know if the transmission has been maintained. And the differential.

Bonus if the spotlight is still fitted and functional.

I'm giving you the go ahead for a cheapo Police Interceptor!

01.gif

What is the Blues Brothers line? "It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?"

Originally Posted By: parimento1
As long as you don't mind the miserable fuel mileage of the vic, i've driven cars in excess of 500K miles on them that still run. The civilian vics are very cheap now as well, I personally wouldnt get the p-71 becuase they will have the search lights, holes all over the dash and roof b/c of the light bar and interior electronic mounts. Also there is no carpet, just rubber mats and uncomfortable seats in the front that are mismatched with the back usually b/c the front seats are cloth and rear are vinyl. You also may or may not have holes in the B-pillars from the cage if so equipped. If you dont mind those cosmetic things and get a good deal by all means.

Maybe he plans on putting all those things back in?
grin2.gif

haha the ones I am looking at are either non-Patrol (never had cages, top lights, etc.) or were the stealthy kind with just inside LED bar lights without all the "junk". It's probably safer to have the rubber flooring instead of carpet with the dog and toddler.

The PI package got:

Heavier swaybar
Heavier springs
Heavier shocks
Trans Cooler

and probably some other junk I'm forgetting.

Great cars and will take a beating like nobody's business.

It will probably be easiest to find a regular Crown Vic that will meet your needs. The P-71s are great cars, but you will probably have to do a good bit of searching to find a really nice one. Obviously, unmarked cars, administrative cars, etc. would be ideal. Cars used for patrol and marked cars are usually worked very hard.

A friend of mine used to have a 1997 Crown Vic P-71. It was a green unmarked car that had belonged to the Highway Patrol. It had full carpet, power windows/locks, A/C, and no cage. By cop car standards, it was reasonably well equipped, but it still had an AM/FM radio and no console or center arm rests. We gave that car [censored] in high school and it never had any problems. Nothing stopped it. It was a lot of fun, and very reliable, but a little bare for a family car.

Since the mid 90s or so Ford has offered an LX Sport package. These cars feature some of the upgrades found on the P71. They have dual exhaust, larger sway bars (I think), and "lacy" spoke wheels. Around 2003 or so Ford changed the wheels, gave it a monochrome paint job, and added a console shifter. A Sport package car might be ideal. They have improved performance and handling without any comfort sacrifices.

Here is an older LX Sport...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Truc...d=p4506.c0.m245
Notice the wheels and factory dual exhaust.

As long as you don't mind the miserable fuel mileage of the vic,

Ignore that comment. It is not accurate and ignorant. CV's get great fuel mileage for a large car. Very similar to the v6 accord all the while having more interior room.

I have over a million miles on cv/marquis and have owned 4 personally and driven them on a severe duty basis at work for 7 years.

I would never buy a P71 for personal use. Even the best ones are abused compared to the typical used vic/marquis that was owned buy an old person. P71 cars usually had repairs done with the absolute cheapest parts purchased on govt bid.

Look for a privately owned vic/marquis and do not even consider anything older than 1996. This is the year Ford changed to much improved valve seals eliminating the expensive 'and madatory' valve seal replacement on the 95 and earlier models.

These cars are very reliable, very durable, very cheap, very safe, get very good MPG, and last forever. Enjoy.

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
As long as you don't mind the miserable fuel mileage of the vic,

Ignore that comment. It is not accurate and ignorant. CV's get great fuel mileage for a large car. Very similar to the v6 accord all the while having more interior room.

I have over a million miles on cv/marquis and have owned 4 personally and driven them on a severe duty basis at work for 7 years.

I would never buy a P71 for personal use. Even the best ones are abused compared to the typical used vic/marquis that was owned buy an old person. P71 cars usually had repairs done with the absolute cheapest parts purchased on govt bid.

Look for a privately owned vic/marquis and do not even consider anything older than 1996. This is the year Ford changed to much improved valve seals eliminating the expensive 'and madatory' valve seal replacement on the 95 and earlier models.

These cars are very reliable, very durable, very cheap, very safe, get very good MPG, and last forever. Enjoy.

So I can expect to crack 35mpg in-city on a P71? My friend has one, and he's barely getting half of that... Although he does get about 28-29mpg on the highway if he takes it easy.

Just for reference per fueleconomy.gov

2003 Crown Vic 18mpg combined
2003 Maxima 20mpg combined
2003 Accord v6 22 combined

That is pretty similar to me. Not bad for a full frame v8 car that will still be serviceable after the other two are turned into toasters for a middle class family in China. The other two strike me as inefficent.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
I think you failed to see my sarcasm, and yes I did see the V6-Accord portion.

Yeah I missed the sarcasm. Sorry.

Originally Posted By: milwaukee

Yep. My dad rented a 2005ish Grand Marquis for a trip from NC to AL once. The car had no trouble at all getting 30 MPG on the trip. Both the gauge cluster readout and actual calculations at the pump confirmed it. Not bad at all, especially considering the big V8.

One more thing to consider with a CV PI. They're going to have the faster rear axle ratio as well. This will improve acceleration but the rpms will be higher at cruising speed so it will probably eat more gas than a standard CV or GM. Of course if you get one such as the CV sport mentioned in one of the earlier replies that will probably have the faster/shorter rear end ratio as well.

My parents own a 2000 Grand Marquis LS. No handling/performance package so I believe that engine produces 200hp. Very nice cruising car. We piled in 6 people for a trip from NY to Washington DC with luggage and with all the extra weight it was still able to pull in about 26-27 mpg on the highway. City mpg hovers around 16 mpg. I've been on long trips with less "baggage" and that car reached 29mpg. One other note on mpg. When NY switched over to E-10 fuel instead of the MTBE infused gas, the mpgs fell a good 10%. YMMV depending on where you live.

Ed B.

Ratios would be 2.73's or 3.27's. The tow-package cars I BELIEVE had optional 3.55's. The Cartier Town Cars all came with 3.27's, including mine. There really isn't a big difference between the two common gearsets in fuel economy; the heavier car simply benefits from the added gear off the line. The OD is quite steep, so RPM is kept low regardless.

My Mom's decided she's ready to get a newer car- her '94 Mercury
Grand Marquis is now 15 yrs old w/~123K miles, she bought it in Jan. '96, and it has been nickle & diming(with hundred $ bills!) the past year or so. She's certainly not looking for a PI
grin2.gif
, but she did finally take a salesman's word that the Crown Vic is the same as the Grand Marquis- and since we *did* find one Ford locally in the color she wants(maroon, her 1st choice), and no Mercurys, looks like she may buy a big Ford soon as tomorrow. All 2008 Ford CV models were fleet sales, by the way. It's a 2008, 10,000 miles, leather, power everything of course, CD/Cassette, alloys- should be a nice car. I always thought of her Mercury as "Big Blue", dunno about the Ford- if she gets it, maybe the "Maroon McGoon"?
LOL.gif

" It's probably safer to have the rubber flooring instead of carpet with the dog and toddler"
crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
I always thought rubber mats were far better for pickups than the now near universal carpet. That should probably go double for any vehicle used for small kids & pets!

Of course it ain't goin' to sell for those above-mentioned CL prices- but then it wasn't a cop car either. If she gets it I'll post a few pix. And if I was in the market for another car myself- even with current ga$ price$- I'd still strongly consider a Crown Vic/Grand Marquis

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back