Crown Vic - One Tough Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
my 1997 Tbird gets 27 mpg hwy most of the time. these days it only sees short-run duty, but i am so glad i have the ever reliable 4.6L mod. v8 (sohc); 130k miles and no real repairs (belts and stuff only), and never left me stranded; i think i will keep it as long as i can.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
my 1997 Tbird gets 27 mpg hwy most of the time. these days it only sees short-run duty, but i am so glad i have the ever reliable 4.6L mod. v8 (sohc); 130k miles and no real repairs (belts and stuff only), and never left me stranded; i think i will keep it as long as i can.

Getting the 4.6 was a smart move!

A few weeks ago I was in a cab with nearly 700,000km on the odometer. It ran like a champ, no MIL, no hickups, no clunks, no whines.

It was a 2003 era Mercedes E270 CDI Classic with manual transmission. Driven by the owner/operator, purchased used for taxi duty.

Regular duty included twisty mountain roads, big city traffic, and highway speeds near 100mph (150+ km/h).

I was impressed, partly because I thought Mercedes had declined immensely in durability since the W123 days.

It is too bad Mercedes doesn't sell their Classic (base) trim cars with manual transmissions here.

Oh, I like the Crown Victoria too.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
A few weeks ago I was in a cab with nearly 700,000km on the odometer. It ran like a champ, no MIL, no hickups, no clunks, no whines.

How many miles are 700,000km?

700,000km is about 435,000mi.

That is good though nothing spectacular. What caught my attention was the lack of noises. The only noises were a very light diesel clatter, and some wind noise above 130km/h (80+ mph).

At 1,500+ rpm that relatively small engine pulled the car and a full load with authority.

But I am writing off topic, sorry about that.

If I had a Ford stable there would be a Crown Vic and a Focus. My neighbor has an F-150 if I ever need a truck.
wink.gif

OK. Thanks BearZDefect.

My brother in law got 200K miles on his 95 Ford Windstar [which I thought he would never do] so I figure I should be able to go to 400K miles on my Crown Vic.

He drives from Morehead Kentucky to Brooklyn New York allot.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
They're so tough that the local PD dumps them prior to reaching 90,000 miles, with a lengthy list of all of the repairs that it took just to get the car to that point.

No offense to any of you, but please go find a Panther forum somewhere to share your mutual fondness...

This is just goofy.

If that is the case your local PD (that you know NOTHING about) is at fault because the cars hold up better than that in service.

Cop cars around here last longer than 90k miles. And from what I've heard they didn't have a 'lengthy list' of issues either. Most go on to serve as taxis and service vehicles for a couple hundred thousand more miles.....yeah, thes cars are just junk (NOT).

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Cop cars around here last longer than 90k miles. And from what I've heard they didn't have a 'lengthy list' of issues either. Most go on to serve as taxis and service vehicles for a couple hundred thousand more miles.....yeah, thes cars are just junk (NOT).

Only the pool cars fall apart by 90K miles..

The take home cars [which the bulk of departments have] last way over 100K miles..The take home are serviced on time,washed,waxed and the cops have to use their own money have their windows tinted..I had on neighbor a few years ago that would spend his day off cleaning his Crown Victoria and even used a tooth brush to get into all the cracks.

Florida overall is very strict on service with take home cars...The pool cars somehow fall though the cracks on service.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Doesn't the engine management cut the cyls when overheating?

As I recall the car goes into limp mode... I don't know of anyone this has happened to...I asked a few cops who bring their patrol cars to the same dealer I use about that and they said they never had a overheating [going into limp mode] problem with their cars.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Doesn't the engine management cut the cyls when overheating?

Yes. Alternating between cylinders in a 4-cylinder power mode.

When I blew one of my heater core hoses (again) the car acted like it had no fuel. When I stepped on the throttle, it would barely go. It was probably 30 seconds from the time the hose exploded, to when I saw steam from under the hood at the next stop light. It was when I was turning into a parking lot from that stop light that the car felt like it was being fueled with marshmallows.

Pretty smart tech for an old car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back