Crower and WebCams recommend AGAINST the use of Synthetic Oils.. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought the webcams camshafts for my engine, and here is what they have to say about the use of synthetic motor oils...
 -

They recommend a straight 30 Kendall or Valvoline.

Now, I'm running a crower valvetrain, and this is what Crower has to say about synthetic oils with their products..

quote:

Use of Synthetic Oils
Crower does not recommend the use of synthetic motor oils in any racing applications, particularly hydraulic and flat tappet camshafts. The minimum gains in horsepower are offset by the excessive wear to cam and lifter surfaces. Crower recommends Kendall GT-1 (20W50) Petroleum based motor oil in all high performance applications. If your manual suggests running synthetic oil, then do so. We have found, however, that the benefits do not outweigh the costs. For additional information click here!

Wow, and they recommend Kendall 20w-50.. That is WAY too think for the clearances in my engine.

What is with these manufacturers recommending Kendall?

I just bought a case of Amsoil 5w-30 not too long ago, but I think I'm still going to run it. Can somebody here tell me why there manufacturers are against synthetic oils?
dunno.gif

They are worried that the synthetic oil is too slick and the lifters (mainly roller lifters) will not ride properly causing uneven wear and eventual failure.

My response would be to quote my mechanic when he pokes fun at the fact that many top VW engine builders use Valvoline.
rolleyes.gif
...probally using the 20w-50 because they are maybe following the "bigger is better" mentality. Maybe they assume their parts will see/make such high horsepower only a 50wt oil can handle it, or their assertion validates what they want their customers to believe. Maybe a guy from the company just noticed "Racing" on an old 20w-50 bottle and thought that meant more power
rolleyes.gif
I guess he did not hear about 0w-30 as a Racing oil. (rolls eyes, big time)

Go to that Crower page and click the "here" that they suggest.

The link you'll find actually sings the praises of synthetic oils, and offers absolutely no reasoning to back Crower's assertion that you shouldn't use synthetics.

Crower should actually review the material they link to.
rolleyes.gif

Suffice it to say that the most sophisticated engines in the world run great on synthetic oils. The shade tree assembled stuff that Crower and other manufactures provide the parts for are horse and buggy compared to a modern Corvette engine. And the Vette motor requires synthetic oil to operate properly according to GM.

Harley Davidson finally got over the anti-synthetic stance after many years of spreading the fiction that their engines wouldn't run properly on it. I would imagine that Crower and WebCam should do the same.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back