Cross Climate 2 Snow Performance

I haven't been able to find any. Here in Metro Vancouver I see almost equal numbers of both tires. But subjectively to me, the Nokians might have a little more winter-bias than the Michelins. I'll note that both carry the 3Peak mountain flake symbol.

I believe the WRG4s are considered by Nokian to be a low-rolling resistance design.
The design is similar to high performance winter tires. Something like Pilot Alpin.
Nokian doesn’t have means like Michelin to go separate route.

The design is similar to high performance winter tires. Something like Pilot Alpin.
Nokian doesn’t have means like Michelin to go separate route.
You never heard of Nokian Weatherproof which got replaced by the SeasonProof in 2020.

But, Nokian's marketing decided that the US/Canada market is better served with a performance winter tire based tire for the all-weather marekt, probably due to the primary market of Quebec, Canada, as in the cities, people don't have the space to store 2 sets of tires. Many of the cheapos run a cheap winter tire year-round, especially since they don't drive outside of the major cities too much.

Even the European CC2's are slightly different than the US/Canada market ones. First, we don't have the alignment indicators on the shoulder blocks. Second, it is speculated that the tire compound is softer for Europe, as the US/Canada needed a harder compound for mileage warranty, as Michelin marketing deemed that to be an important factor.

You never heard of Nokian Weatherproof which got replaced by the SeasonProof in 2020.

But, Nokian's marketing decided that the US/Canada market is better served with a performance winter tire based tire for the all-weather marekt, probably due to the primary market of Quebec, Canada, as in the cities, people don't have the space to store 2 sets of tires. Many of the cheapos run a cheap winter tire year-round, especially since they don't drive outside of the major cities too much.

Even the European CC2's are slightly different than the US/Canada market ones. First, we don't have the alignment indicators on the shoulder blocks. Second, it is speculated that the tire compound is softer for Europe, as the US/Canada needed a harder compound for mileage warranty, as Michelin marketing deemed that to be an important factor.
Yeah, I did hear about all those tires.
I get why they did it. Not that average customers actually pays attention to what exactly that tire is. It is all about marketing. Same like their pot hole warranty etc.
And no, they are not Michelin or Continental.

Yeah, I did hear about all those tires.
I get why they did it. Not that average customers actually pays attention to what exactly that tire is. It is all about marketing. Same like their pot hole warranty etc.
And no, they are not Michelin or Continental.
But, they do have manufacturing capability to produce US/Canada specific tires at their Dayton, TN plant.

Continental brand has their AllseasonContact, but they made a business case not to bring it to the US/Canada, but instead sell something under their General brand.

The Nokian Tyres One pothole warranty is enabled by the Aramid Armor sidewall reinforcement technology from their SUV/CUV/Truck tires lineup.

But, they do have manufacturing capability to produce US/Canada specific tires at their Dayton, TN plant.

Continental brand has their AllseasonContact, but they made a business case not to bring it to the US/Canada, but instead sell something under their General brand.

The Nokian Tyres One pothole warranty is enabled by the Aramid Armor sidewall reinforcement technology from their SUV/CUV/Truck tires lineup.
Aramid or not. It is marketing. They are not anymore stout than Michelin, Continental etc. They just need a way to get on the market. There are 6-7 brands I would trust more than Nokian whent it comes to integrity of a tire.
As for production , it is irrelevant where they are made. You make compound you want, whether that is in the US or you import it, it doesn’t matter.

Aramid or not. It is marketing. They are not anymore stout than Michelin, Continental etc. They just need a way to get on the market. There are 6-7 brands I would trust more than Nokian whent it comes to integrity of a tire.
As for production , it is irrelevant where they are made. You make compound you want, whether that is in the US or you import it, it doesn’t matter.
You’re inferring Nokian doesn’t have the capacity to produce when it does, even after Russia invading Ukraine

I’ve had bubbles with the big boys tires slamming into potholes. But never had issues with Nokian aramid armor sidewalls or even Kumho, despite that you think aramid sidewalls are gimmicks

You’re inferring Nokian doesn’t have the capacity to produce when it does, even after Russia invading Ukraine

I’ve had bubbles with the big boys tires slamming into potholes. But never had issues with Nokian aramid armor sidewalls or even Kumho, despite that you think aramid sidewalls are gimmicks
I do not think they are gimmicks. It is just that many do it same, and some do much better.
I personally never had bubbles due to potholes, regardless of brand.

As for production, I did not refer to production capacity but sophistication. They are not playing first-tier league. Before Russia invading UKR they were working on a US plant.

I had a chance over the last week to drive my All Track equipped with Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires in snow about 6-7" deep on some unplowed roads. I was very impressed with the performance as they pulled me right along with no wheel spin and allowed me to start from a stop in the snow with no trouble at all. I had one fairly steep hill that was unplowed and i was able to go up with no issues. On turns, if I went too fast, I could feel them lose traction as the car would start to slide sideways just a bit but that was easily remedied by slowing down. I continue to be be very impressed with these tires on dry , wet and snowy roads. For those of you looking for a great all around tire that you can leave on year around, this tire cannot be beat in my opinion.
Put a set of these on wife's Forester last weekend. These tires have had good reviews and seemed like a good choice. Happy to read here that other users have had good foul weather experience with them.
They were a little more costly than various alternatives, but what does a hundred bucks or so more on a set of tires matter over their life?

Reactions: hrv
Put a set of these on wife's Forester last weekend. These tires have had good reviews and seemed like a good choice. Happy to read here that other users have had good foul weather experience with them.
They were a little more costly than various alternatives, but what does a hundred bucks or so more on a set of tires matter over their life?
I'm upset (didn't realize that another form of that word was going to be ******** out) that after installing 2 sets on 2 different cars, I haven't had a chance to try them in the snow! Grr..................................

I'm upset (didn't realize that another form of that word was going to be ******** out) that after installing 2 sets on 2 different cars, I haven't had a chance to try them in the snow! Grr..................................
Winter is still coming although it's hard to think of at this time of the year. We actually had some nasty wind blown frozen delight yesterday, although the ground is too warm now to make it a factor.
Come November you'll get to experience these tires in winter conditions.

Winter is still coming although it's hard to think of at this time of the year. We actually had some nasty wind blown frozen delight yesterday, although the ground is too warm now to make it a factor.
Come November you'll get to experience these tires in winter conditions.
Where I am, I think it might be a few more days of cold here and there but as for snow, probably not. I could be wrong though. We had 90 degree days last week. This week started out cold but is supposed to be in the 80s on Friday.

I do not think they are gimmicks. It is just that many do it same, and some do much better.
I personally never had bubbles due to potholes, regardless of brand.

As for production, I did not refer to production capacity but sophistication. They are not playing first-tier league. Before Russia invading UKR they were working on a US plant.
What's sophisticated about tire manufacturing, that Michelin is on the cutting edge? Like forgetting to machine in DOT and UTQG information on the molds that led to a recall on CrossClimate+ , not so long ago (2020)?

Nokian also does more testing on ice and snow than any other tire company, they use soybean oil to make alot of their tires

This is anecdote and meaningless. I regularly drive all over the NYC metro area which has some of the ****tiest road quality in the US and I’ve not had an issue with any non-RFT tire. This includes 30 aspect ratio Michelins. I actually believe that sidewall reinforcement as seen in RFT tires and possibly this aramid armor nonsense is responsible for increased susceptibility to sidewall bubbles. RFTs get bubbles super easily as the class action lawsuits indicate.

What's sophisticated about tire manufacturing, that Michelin is on the cutting edge? Like forgetting to machine in DOT and UTQG information on the molds that led to a recall on CrossClimate+ , not so long ago (2020)?
I mean, they have the largest R&D budget and consistently finish near the top of the class in most categories in tests. Their performance tires have been benchmarks for the past 20 years. What more do you want?

Back