Cross Climate 2 Snow Performance

This is probably the best subjective analysis I could come up with between the Nokian WRG4 and CrossClimate2.

It does not look like analysis. More like marketing department copy paste for each.
The only comparison is warranty.

Krzyś

scientific testing shows you to be wrong.
Scientific testing from the Tyres Review guy,,,,, he doesn't test in the snow conditions I see, which is also hard to test.

Making a U-turn in this heavy, wet snow, 3-wheels spinning and not much throttle was used.
1671403454176-jpg.131448

Testing on plowed snow is a lot easier. And that's where the tire shines. And the new tread pattern doesn't last that long either. It's good enough for new tire comparison tests. After 2/32" of wear it looks like the old CrossClimate with the siping now.

I still find the CrossClimate 2 to be over-rated by the internet.

Last edited:
Interesting. I only ever think of snow tires for Nokian. Didn't even know they make all season tires until now.
No kidding. They even make ultra high performance tires. Intriguing, I wonder how these stack up against the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 that I have now. Was considering the z-line. But in the end there were not enough reviews of these tires. And once you've bought them, if you don't like them, most are stuck with them.

Last edited:
No kidding. They even make ultra high performance tires. Intriguing, I wonder how these stack up against the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 that I have now. Was considering the z-line. But in the end there were not enough reviews of these tires. And once you've bought them, if you don't like them, most are stuck with them.
I had those also on the Tiguan. Rumor is, a Lime Rock, the racing school replaced their summer tires with the Nokian Z-line A/S because it performed just was well, but lasts longer, which overall reduced running costs.

Super grippy tires. Drove through plenty of torrential rain storms with them with no issues with hydroplaning. Despite the A/S name in it, I would not run them in the winter... they are 3-season tire.

40951710650_38be6a621a_b.jpg

Reminds me of the Michelin Hydro Edge tires years ago...Had a set on my 2004 PT Cruiser...was a good tire...

Bet the (relatively) cheap Toyo GSI-6 winter tires on my Corolla ($68 each) do just as well in snow & ice as the Cross Climates-good winter tread compound is the answer (walnut shells in the Toyo's.)
Well I would certainly hope so considering the Toyo GSI-6 is a dedicated studless winter tire while the Michelin Cross Climate is 'only' a four-season tire.

I'm not seeing anything about walnut shells in the tire compound. 'Carbonic powder derived from bamboo' is what is mentioned on their site.

I had those also on the Tiguan. Rumor is, a Lime Rock, the racing school replaced their summer tires with the Nokian Z-line A/S because it performed just was well, but lasts longer, which overall reduced running costs.

Super grippy tires. Drove through plenty of torrential rain storms with them with no issues with hydroplaning. Despite the A/S name in it, I would not run them in the winter... they are 3-season tire.

40951710650_38be6a621a_b.jpg
That seems to be the concensus re the z-line 4 season capabilities; in that it's a strictly 3 season tire. The siping is more summer weighted it seems. I suppose that's what sets apart these from the Michelin PSAS4, it's now recognized that the PSAS4 has very competent winter capabilities for an all season - enough to do in a pinch and safely. The z-line is a strong contender still for me in the future though. I'd like to see more reputable reviews. Don't know what will take for that to happen. One thing's for sure, like I've said before, there's some wizardry going on in Michelin re the compounds for both the PSAS4 (and CC2) to perform remarkably close to a summer tire and still be OKish in the snow.

Can you give some comments re the z-line steering responsiveness and cornering stability and firmness of the sidewall? I like a firm sidewall and quick response to steering inputs. I use a 235/45R18 size (OEM) for my Kona N-Line AWD. If there was something for me to nit pick on the PSAS4 is that i wish the sidewalls were firmer, even though they are not soft by any means.

Last edited:
I had a chance over the last week to drive my All Track equipped with Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires in snow about 6-7" deep on some unplowed roads. I was very impressed with the performance as they pulled me right along with no wheel spin and allowed me to start from a stop in the snow with no trouble at all. I had one fairly steep hill that was unplowed and i was able to go up with no issues. On turns, if I went too fast, I could feel them lose traction as the car would start to slide sideways just a bit but that was easily remedied by slowing down. I continue to be be very impressed with these tires on dry , wet and snowy roads. For those of you looking for a great all around tire that you can leave on year around, this tire cannot be beat in my opinion.
I drove CC2s last season, am on PSAS4's this season. Love my Michelins!

Has anyone been able to find any actual comparison tests of Crossclimate2 and WRG4?

I came across this write-up, but it seems rather subjective without any actual test data...

Has anyone been able to find any actual comparison tests of Crossclimate2 and WRG4?

I came across this write-up, but it seems rather subjective without any actual test data...
I haven't been able to find any. Here in Metro Vancouver I see almost equal numbers of both tires. But subjectively to me, the Nokians might have a little more winter-bias than the Michelins. I'll note that both carry the 3Peak mountain flake symbol.

I believe the WRG4s are considered by Nokian to be a low-rolling resistance design.

I believe the WRG4s are considered by Nokian to be a low-rolling resistance design.
But interestingly that link I provided above claims that "its rolling resistance is sky-high."

It also states about the Crossclimate2 that "it’s niggardly noisy". Go figure.

Yeah
But interestingly that link I provided above claims that "its rolling resistance is sky-high."
Yeah I saw that.
But you can see the Nokian product page.

"WE RECOMMEND THIS TIRE ALSO FOR ELECTRIC AND HYBRID CARS
Drivers of electric and hybrid vehicles crave an enjoyable, environmentally responsible driving experience. They want a tire that delivers many years of safe and comfortable journeys. Nokian Tyres shares their core values of safety and sustainability, and we’ve built our premium tires to deliver peace of mind in all conditions. Best of all, we sustainably craft innovative year-round driving solutions tailored to meet the unique needs of electric vehicles."

Whatever that means.

But I do have a soft spot for Nokians as they are now all manufactured in the USA. Even as a Canadian I have to respect that.

Back