Crockpots

I've got a couple of new ones that have a "keep warm" Setting that works real well. I don't recall if mine will boil stuff on low, though.

I've got a couple of new ones that have a "keep warm" Setting that works real well. I don't recall if mine will boil stuff on low, though.
Even the warm setting one my newer ones boil food! Hate them and only use the old one.

The ONLY Crock Pots worth buying today, are the ones with the locking lids. Oval shaped pots with locking glass lids are the bomb.

There was some food safety regulation some years back that made crockpot manufacturers bump up their heat, that's why old ones are better. We got one for our wedding that burned absolutely everything. The one I have now was a cheapie I got from JCPenney, cooks brand I think. This one works really good. So I don't know, maybe the rules changed again, or China doesn't care and just sends them over now. Either way, it's pretty hit or miss.

The ONLY Crock Pots worth buying today, are the ones with the locking lids. Oval shaped pots with locking glass lids are the bomb.
Agree 100%. Wife bought a smaller one. It boils on warm. We are keep our large. Hot is HOT but low is LOW and keep warm is keep warm..........

I just got an idea..........too expensive.

We have an old one like yours and it never let us down.

My wife, who can’t resist new things, bought a Ninja this last fall. It has a nice feature where you set the heat level and time and when finished, switches over to a warming setting that seems to work well.

All my new crockpots boil food, even on low setting. Have about 4 newer ones and they all do it, even on low or simmer!
Favorite one is probably 30 years old. Low means low on the old crockpot and it will not boil.

What say you all?
After much frustration with a newer CrockPot, my wife picked up two old ones at a thrift store that were in very good condition for $12/ea. I'd say stop in a thrift store every once in a while and see if you can snag one.

Put a metal spacer under the ceramic pot to move away from the heating coil under the pot.

I had one as old as I am but it had some sort of spring tension setup inside to hold the stoneware to the shell and the spring broke, then when I turned it upside down to figure out how to take it apart, the liner dropped out and cracked when it landed on the floor :) so I just bought something random what was cheap on amazon warehouse.

The replacement doesn't boil on low and has a lower still, keep warm setting. Might depend on how full you fill them though, it's a constant amount of heat on any setting (at least on the inexpensive and very old ones) so the less water (and submerged food) the easier it will boil.

Why do you need a locking lid? I could see if you're traveling with it, but then it needs to make a good seal too, no? If if makes a good seal then isn't it a pressure cooker instead of crock pot? Just never saw the need for a lid lock.

Last edited:
We have an older oval shaped “Crock-Pot”. It has three settings; Off, Low, and High. We also have a fairly new Insta Pot. The Insta Pot is very versatile. It can brown, pressure cook and slow cook. If I need to slow cook anything, I pull out the old Crock-Pot My wife just can’t understand why I insisted on keeping the Crock-Pot. It’s simple, the Crock-Pot does a much better job at slow cooking.

Wife sent me this today. Two new ones and she just cleaned ‘em out last week. The woman is on a roll with these things. I finally told her having three is enough.

12230014-2757-4FE6-9A54-4850D8AF57C4.jpeg

I don't trust any of them.

All I'm using now is either a Dutch oven in the oven or an inkbird thermostat with my rice cooker. I don't trust anything that does not have a thermostat on it.

Back