Craftsman Warranty Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen some discussion here about Sears possibly changing its warranty policy so I figured I'd post about my recent experience with them. The 10mm socket in my Craftsman 12 pc metric 1/4in drive socket/ratchet set had a hairline crack beginning at one of the points and I've been meaning to take it in. It's been telling me every time I use it that this might be the time that little black line turns into a destroyed bolt and a trip to the machine shop.

I had to go into Sears for a 7mm wrench for another job and when I came back to the car I remembered that I had that set with me and took the bad part back in. The guy gave it a close look, apologized, tossed it in a bin under the register and told me to go get a new one from the rack. I came back to the counter with it, he pushed some buttons on the register, gave me a receipt for $0.00 and I was out the door. I don't know what they're policy is on the Craftsman branded power tools but on the hand tools it's still "sorry about that, have a new one".
thumbsup2.gif

The rumor about the changing warranty policy has been around for a very long time. I'm not worried in the least.

They do not warranty some of their torque wrenches and some other oddball tools, FYI.

I don't see how they can renege on a warranty that's already in service.

However they can invent a "new craftsman" for which you need the receipt, and/or for which you only get one replacement then you're on your own.

Originally Posted By: dparm
They do not warranty some of their torque wrenches and some other oddball tools, FYI.

This is the only time I've had a problem with a Craftsman warranty (a torque wrench). Their locking collars are notorious for failing, and the 1-year warranty was off-putting. I bought a different brand, and although it has a similar warranty, widespread reports of consistent failures just aren't out there, so I feel confident it'll last a while.

I've never had a problem returning a Craftsman socket or ratchet. I think their ratchets are only middling as far as quality and durability, and all I ever get for a "new" ratchet is a refurbished one that comes out of the drawer under the register. Oh well. They work.

Anytime I took a tool back to Sears I was always treated well. I also knew when I bought my Torque Wrench that the warranty was only 1 year. I had no problems with two of their Torque Wrenches.

I'll add that I know walking into Sears that what I'll find isn't going to be quite as good as the truck-bought stuff. Whereas a Snap-On wrench might be an A or A+ the Craftsman for much less money is going to be a B+ or even an A-. I'm fine with that. My tools keep my cars on the road and my yard/house maintained but they don't keep me in rent or food money.

OT but my torque wrench is a $25 AutoZone special. I got it to do lug nuts because it's more consistent and accurate than my finely calibrated torque shoulder, but only just. I wish I had the coin to spend $500+ on a set of torque wrenches but for a shade tree DIY guy like me there's always many, many more pressing things on the list.

The only thing that bothers me with the Sears warranty if the replacement part. I've never had issues with getting tools replaced, but just last year I had to replace a broken 3/8" rachet drive and the new one was very cheap compared to my older one I exchanged. They actually offered me a "rebuilt" rachet first and when I declined, they gave me one off the shelf.

All in all, Sears tools are pretty decent and a value for DIY'ers who won't overwork the tools. I've exchaned atleast 10 sockets over time for the chrome flaking off - believe me that will CUT your finger fast! I do question there quality lately as compared to say 10+ years ago.

GMboy, next time hang on to the good one and have them rebuild it for you. It is what I do, they offer me the cheap new ratchets off the wall, I tell please rebuilt it and they do.

Originally Posted By: defektes
GMboy, next time hang on to the good one and have them rebuild it for you. It is what I do, they offer me the cheap new ratchets off the wall, I tell please rebuilt it and they do.

Thanks for the tip! I wish I had done that with my old drive, it was much nicer and heavy duty. The new one off the wall is really poorly made. It is not smooth polished, all rough looking finish and the reverse button is a flimy plastic tab that is loosely installed. Live and learn, I guess.

They came out with a new one that is US made (like the others) that has a metal direction mechanism and has a very nice polish for 30 bucks. I'll pick it up sometime this week.

I just got the Craftsman 154 piece tool kit. The ratchets are junk. At least the sockets have a lot of sizes I didn't have in regular and deep, and the bit driver is higher-quality than the one in my $30 tool kit. My SK fine-tooth and replacement GearWrench ratchets arrived today also, so I'm not worried about the junk raised-panel ratchets in the kit.

Is that the one with SKU ending in 37154? If you don't mind asking, how much did you end up paying for it? Last year, I got a got a deal on them (via slickdeals). Those ratchets have no redeeming value whatsoever. It give bad name to Made In Usa stamp. But I like the case and it would rather difficult to swap the ratchets with better ones and still keep in their respective cut outs.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Is that the one with SKU ending in 37154? If you don't mind asking, how much did you end up paying for it? Last year, I got a got a deal on them (via slickdeals). Those ratchets have no redeeming value whatsoever. It give bad name to Made In Usa stamp. But I like the case and it would rather difficult to swap the ratchets with better ones and still keep in their respective cut outs.

Yes, it is. I got mine for $100 in-store. Not the best deal, but good enough for me. The included ratchets are already viewed as dead. The SK fits well enough into the 3/8" ratchet slot that I'm not worried about it going anywhere. Hopefully the lifetime warranty is good when the included ratchets bite the bullet.

I am going to try to squeeze the HF composite ratchets in that case. At least the 3/8 has the same length.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back