CRAFTSMAN EXTREME GRIP 10" ADJUSTABLE WRENCH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a Craftsman 10" adjustable wrench . These are new to me I don`t remember seeing them around before. They are an adjustable Crescent wrench with a locking mechanism like a vise-grip plier. I have a adjustable wrench that I rarely ever used. Reason is with them even a good one you have that play in the jaws so you don`t get a good tight fit on the bolt and could slip or round off a nut.With these you close them in on the nut and then lock the handle grip and they form a tight bond to the nut. Same with a vise-grip if you were to use it on a nut that was real tight those aggressive jaws could round off the nut. This is a great idea in a tool and I picked it up at Kmart for $19.99 regular $39.99. They have a real nice rubberized handle too .

Sounds like the knipex pliers wrench. Got a link? Can't find anything in a search

Key in Craftsman adjustable wrench on the Kmart website that`s where I learned about them.

Neat concept but I'm pretty well set for wrenches. I recently bought a new 7" ViseGrip Good old Irwin. Made under supervision in China.

Originally Posted By: BTW
Sounds like the knipex pliers wrench. Got a link? Can't find anything in a search

These are like a cross bred vise grip / crescent wrench.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Neat concept but I'm pretty well set for wrenches. I recently bought a new 7" ViseGrip Good old Irwin. Made under supervision in China.
I use my vise-grips too , but they have plier jaws and can chew up a nut. This Craftsman tool has regular adjustable wrench jaws with a slight serration on their surface. They work super good and on the Sear`s website they have 4 1/2 star rating out of 5 with about 400 reviews. So I`m guessing they have been around for awhile but new to me.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Stanley came out with this years ago without the rubberized handle , they were sold at Walmart for $13
Yea I almost went with them but the Craftsman handles are much nicer Plus I had a $10 point reward card I received in the mail so I really only paid $10. Plus the Craftsman have lifetime warranty.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I don't think that wrench is worthy of all capital letters.

SORRY ABOUT THAT. :)

Originally Posted By: BTW
Sounds like the knipex pliers wrench.

I stopped in a Sears this week and saw this adjustable wrench.
It's nothing like a Knipex pliers wrench.
If you are considering buying it for the regular price of $39.99 as the OP stated, I'd take a long hard look at the Knipex pliers wrench. Or, just spend the 40 bucks on groceries. Or socks. Or a charity.
At the sale price of $19.99, I'd wait til I had another $20 and get the pliers wrench.

Not to sound too cynical, but these newer Craftsman items just seem way too gimmicky to me.
I imagine they're intended for people who spend more time with an iPhone in their hands than a tool in their hand.
And hey, that's fine, but I wouldn't get a craftsman phone neither.
This thing looks like it belongs in the kitchen junk drawer instead of a tool box.

In related news, displayed next to the "extreme grip" thingie was some other turd of an adjustable wrench with a thumb slide doo-hickey on it that no longer worked, it was already broken. I just shake my head that a tool can't survive the harsh environment of a store display.

While the Knipex look good I see no reason why the Craftsman locking adjustable wrench shouldn`t hold up just fine. After all vise grips have been around forever and these work on the same principal. I use my cheap vise grips all the time and they havn`t failed me yet . There is a certain amount of play in any adjustable wrench and this Craftsman totally eliminates that. My older crescent wrench hasn`t been used in years because of that . I stick mainly to open or closed end wrenches or socket sets. Gimmicky no , I see it as someone who has smartened up fixing a problem with the standard adjustable wrenches .

Its okay for holding tie rods while you loosen the lock nuts and things like that, not the best quality but for something like this its good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back