CPO BMW missing lug nut!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: raaizin
but IMO they get the money for CPOing the car but dont do all they should

Dealers don't get money for CPO-ing the car. They do an inspection and the necessary reconditioning (on their dime, usually) to bring the vehicle up to the CPO Program's standards. Then they have to pay the vehicle manufacturer the enrollment cost into the CPO program-- which varies by vehicle, but I think it's ~$1500 (or more) for BMW.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Dealers don't get money for CPO-ing the car. They do an inspection and the necessary reconditioning (on their dime, usually)...

Ultimately, it's usually on the customer's dime...who actually buys the car. That's one reason (besides marketing, peace of mind, whatever) that CPO cars are more expensive. It's a relatively expensive process, and the cost is passed to the buyer in the form of a higher asking price.

IMO the CPO program isn't worth it. You pay a $2500 premium for (supposedly) a multi-point inspection, which I know they don't do all of the things on the list, and for an extended warranty. In the case of BMWs, the extended warranty has a $25 or $50 deductible per incident. I'd rather buy the car $2500 cheaper and use that money to fix problems that may arise.

Remember, extended warranties are priced to be profitable for the company not for the purchaser. If you're paying $2000 for the extended warranty, then the statistical expectation is that you'll have less than $2000 in work done during the life of the warranty. Most people will lose out -- that's how they make a profit.

Years ago when I worked for VW, it cost the dealership $300 to certify a car.

They ran a Carfax, changed the oil, and detailed the car, and it was certified.

A CPO certification is only as good as the dealer that performs it. I've bought two CPO BMWs from the same dealer and both were in first-rate condition when delivered. My CPO X3 has only required one repair(an SRS sensor) and that was covered by the original 4/50 warranty. We didn't ustilize the CPO warranty at all. and at 108,000 miles the truck has proven to be very inexpensive to run. It really helps to have a dealer that charges reasonable prices for service(and offers a BMW CCA discount)- although I change the oil myself in between the SI/CBS calculated intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back