CPO BMW missing lug nut!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yesterday I was washing and waxing my certified pre owned 328i that I've had for a few weeks and I notice that there is a lug nut missing! What the heck! I ark in my garage and have barely drove the car 400 miles since I've had it so it must have been missing from the dealership! I thought I was buying a car that had a so many thousand point inspection, apparently checking to see if the lug nuts were there was not one of them! Is it dangerous to drive it to the dealership to get a new one? Its on the back right tire and its a rear wheel drice car.

It's not dangerous to drive to get a new one. To be sure, you'll want to get a new one as soon as you can. As long as the other four are tight, you'll be fine to drive to replace it.

Walk around your local mall parking lot. It'd amaze you how many vehicles you can spot with missing lug nuts. They've probably been that way for months or years.

It all depends if the inspection was done or if the inspection was done by a monkey. Either way doesn't sound 'certified' to me. I'd make sure the lug nuts are tight on ALL the wheels before driving it to the dealership to complain. I'd be sure to ask if lug nut inspection is on their CPO list as well.

Just go buy another lugnut. Did the car come with new tires? I have had tire changes before where one lug nut was not tight enough and discovered it came off a week later when I was washing my car. No big deal.

yes it had new tires. Just makes me mad! Thats why I guess I have to do everything myself! Can't trust anyone to take pride in what they do be it working on cars, flipping burgers, or doing bypass surguy! The world is a scary place when you can't trust anyone.

Originally Posted By: ryland
yes it had new tires. Just makes me mad! Thats why I guess I have to do everything myself! Can't trust anyone to take pride in what they do be it working on cars, flipping burgers, or doing bypass surguy! The world is a scary place when you can't trust anyone.

*surgery*

Can't trust anyone to take pride in what they spell these days...

wink.gif

We picked up a used A4 from an Audi DEALER last week, the PSF was dry after it going "through the shop".

I guess thinks are "ok" until they fail completely.

BMW doesn't use lug nuts. They use lug bolts. I wouldn't be driving around with a missing bolt.

Call them up and complain. Knowing BMW they will probably give you the run around and try to charge you for it. Dont give in. If they dont give in to your demand then threaten to file a complaint with your States Bureau of Automotive Repair or equivalent agency that licenses auto repair shops. Its worked quite well in negotiations in CA when shops tried to screw my parents.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dan55
Those 1000 point inspections are nothing more than a marketing tool.

This is a sad fact, but likely true. It is definitely bogus in the OP's case!

Here is an update. So I went to the dealer and had them put in a new bolt. I also told them about a few things that have been bugging me about the car.

1. It ticks like a diesel when I start it up in the morning (in my Garage)

2. The shifts are all firm and odd until I've driven an half hour or more.

3. When I go over speed bumps the front of the car makes a horrible creaking sound.

So they had a tech ride with me. One bump in the parking lot and he said "that is definatly not normal" I explained the other problems to him and he said that startup noise sounds like a lifter problem and the shifting may just be the programing or it may be something else. He was not able to see the start up and shifting as the car was already hot. So we go back and I felt good, I felt like he understood the issues and would fix them. Then he goes back to the shop and I'm there with the "advisor" he also had a good story that everything will get done and he is getting me a loaner car right then. Then he comes back and says he cant get me in to fix it till next friday. I just hope all of these issues get fixed! I asked him if they could go through the whole car and see if there is anything else. He told me that they had already gone over this car with a fine tooth comb!!!! He said that these problems were not a big deal! Are you kidding me! I also mentioned that I had already been back to get some dash parts touched up that had been peeling and a speaker ring that was cracked that I noticed before I bought the car that they said they would fix but when I brought it in they said they would mask it and paint over it because to replace that would be take a whole new door panel. IMO these are things that should have already been fixed long before I even drove the car. So now I dont know what to do!

Here is an update. So I went to the dealer and had them put in a new bolt. I also told them about a few things that have been bugging me about the car.

2. The shifts are all firm and odd until I've driven an half hour or more.

3. When I go over speed bumps the front of the car makes a horrible creaking sound.

So they had a tech ride with me. One bump in the parking lot and he said "that is definatly not normal" I explained the other problems to him and he said that startup noise sounds like a lifter problem and the shifting may just be the programing or it may be something else. He was not able to see the start up and shifting as the car was already hot. So we go back and I felt good, I felt like he understood the issues and would fix them. Then he goes back to the shop and I'm there with the "advisor" he also had a good story that everything will get done and he is getting me a loaner car right then. Then he comes back and says he cant get me in to fix it till next friday. I just hope all of these issues get fixed! I asked him if they could go through the whole car and see if there is anything else. He told me that they had already gone over this car with a fine tooth comb!!!! He said that these problems were not a big deal! Are you kidding me! I also mentioned that I had already been back to get some dash parts touched up that had been peeling and a speaker ring that was cracked that I noticed before I bought the car that they said they would fix but when I brought it in they said they would mask it and paint over it because to replace that would be take a whole new door panel. IMO these are things that should have already been fixed long before I even drove the car. So now I dont know what to do!

The truth is that in many service industries, the actual mechanics, sales people, whatever, are the honest ones. It's the managers, "Advisors", "financial representatives" etc, that try to screw you (the cusomter) over.

Did you get a chance to look under the valve cover for sludge?

My diesels don't tick.
21.gif

So now I dont know what to do!

Be more vigilant the next time you buy a car? For this MistWagen, you're gonna have to ride the stealership until they make things right... or you get it classified as a lemon.

btw- I think this thread should get sent to the general automotive once it's run it's course here.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
Just go buy another lugnut. Did the car come with new tires? I have had tire changes before where one lug nut was not tight enough and discovered it came off a week later when I was washing my car. No big deal.

That should never happen if they are installed properly using a torque wrench.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie

Did you get a chance to look under the valve cover for sludge?

I looked under the oil fill cap and shined a flashlight in there and it was shiny and clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back