Courteous thieves.......attempted car break in.

I just want to thank the criminals who attempted to break into my car by prying the door open (?!?!) - they were kind enough to #1 not scratch any of the paint and #2 not resort to just breaking the window out. I honestly have no idea when or where this happened, my drivers door was not like this when I detailed it on Friday and my car ended up sitting for 2 days then 3 days parked in a garage at work. I don't keep anything in my car of value, the most they would have gotten away with would have been a $10-15 umbrella, a short 3' lightning to USB cord, my access badge for garage at work and my mailbox keys - must be new thieves just doing it all wrong.

The pics below were after I bent the top half back in as much as I could - it was sticking out ~½" further. Fortunately the inner door seal was not damaged so no water leaks but the wind noise is apparent starting ~45-50MPH. Took it to body shop today for estimate to repair, I CANNOT wait to see what this is going to set me back.

Thank you again to the courteous criminals for not damaging my paint or breaking a window for an umbrella.

IMG_4468.JPG

Estimate hot off the presses - $638. :mad::mad: Well I might just bunch up some towels and try to use some channel lock pliers to bend this back as best as possible - the glossy black trim is cracked and that part is $228 of that estimate so might see how I can glue that back into place.

Can't have nice things apparently. :ROFLMAO:

Send a PM to Trav on here and see what he says on how to fix it. He knows his stuff esp with VW's. I remember your detail thread from the other day.

That bill would infuriate me. It is woefully one advantage of driving an old clunker car. No one targets it.

Estimate hot off the presses - $638. :mad::mad: Well I might just bunch up some towels and try to use some channel lock pliers to bend this back as best as possible - the glossy black trim is cracked and that part is $228 of that estimate so might see how I can glue that back into place.

Oh yeah I remember a body shop fixing my car once. The door was a little bent afterwards and I mentioned it to them. The way they fixed it was to roll the window down and just grabbed that corner of the door and put their weight/leaned on it a few times to bend it back. Closed the door a few times to see how close they were getting and afterwards they were done, about 2-3 minutes.

Oh yeah I remember a body shop fixing my car once. The door was a little bent afterwards and I mentioned it to them. The way they fixed it was to roll the window down and just grabbed that corner of the door and put their weight/leaned on it a few times to bend it back. Closed the door a few times to see how close they were getting and afterwards they were done, about 2-3 minutes.
That's exactly what I would do.

You can bend that back yourself. Just do a little bit at a time and check how it closes. I hate thieves, or attempted thieves in this case.

imo not enough deterrent these days to prevent senseless theft and subsequent damage that end up costing us all in terms of lost time, revenue, productivity and claims. I would recommend a weekly crucifixion of a few random thieves or scam artist or identity thieves like this.

That’s awful, I accidentally left my door unlocked, and came out to the door open and the contents of the glovebox and cubbies all over the car, $5 in cash, a $7 tire pressure gauge, a harbor freight 1/2” drive impact socket set and most annoyingly the fast charge cable for my phone went missing. Pretty incompetent thieves (guessing local kids) I happened to have a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, Stages Powermeter in the box, and two pairs of Oakley sunglasses sitting in a $250 helmet on the floor in the back.

Might be a regional method. I live near in that region and I have an old Honda Accord from the 1990s. Sure enough they pried exactly at the same area on the b pillar bending that back and breaking the plastic fastener that holds the metal piece for the trim in place, it doesn't look that bad so I didn't bother to fix it.

If you live in TX you have the legal right to use force against anyone attempting to break and enter into your vehicle FYI look it up.

Last edited:

Not anymore with all the scumbags on the loose and nothing happens to them when they are caught anyway.

Back