Countertops - Quartz vs Granite

When it comes to granite in this thread, I can't help but think of the three monkeys.....

Granite countertops are like avocado-colored kitchen appliances. Very popular and fashionable--- at one time......

pasted-image-at-2016_05_13-01_38-pm_custom-991bc50533a5f81761797cb9a7e068598950721d.jpg

Have got quartz in one house and granite in our beach house. As far as care/maintenance, I see zero difference. I used to to seal the granite once a year but stopped doing that 5 years ago. Use the same type of cleaner...one of those all surface cleaners from Target or wherever and a damp microfiber cloth.

Have got quartz in one house and granite in our beach house. As far as care/maintenance, I see zero difference. I used to to seal the granite once a year but stopped doing that 5 years ago. Use the same type of cleaner...one of those all surface cleaners from Target or wherever and a damp microfiber cloth.
The granite in my previous post is sealed once a year. I have never heard the sellers nor installers of granite say twice a year is required.

We have both. Quartz in a more or less solid color for the countertops and granite with a pattern of colors that match the quartz for the big bar in the center of the kitchen. Both perform equally well, but we don't abuse them. For example, no extremely stove hot pots. And don't come in from the store with a bag with glass jars and plop them down on the those surfaces. The jars will break.

It's what the wife wanted.....
Its that Laminate flooring or LVP in the kitchen?

We had an issue, not really a big issue (well read on and decide that!) with our Shaw Laminate. There was a trouble area here and there and the only way to do it correctly is from one end of the house to the other end, something about how the pieces fit together and have to match up with the other rooms, we did not want transition pieces at the doors. Our builder and installer is going to replace the entire home with new. Typically it would have been the same (which we like) but we were allowed a case by case upgrade that we asked for. It still will be laminate but their higher grade, lifetime warranty/water RESISTANT not proof such as flooding) ya da ya da.

Anyway, they ordered our color selection and once it comes in we will have to vacate the house. They will have movers move everything out, tear out all the moldings, replace all the flooring which every room in the house has including bedrooms. (tile in the baths and laundry) install and paint new moldings. Pay for everything, movers, storage in driveway and (garage) and a place for us to stay for 3 days. Plus a meal allowance

I know it's a tough choice, LVP is water proof, laminate a bit easier on the feet, sound and insulating qualities. Pick your poison. No way was I going to let them do the whole house, they offered to try to repair but took them up on the offer to replace the whole house. Figured its worth a couple days of our lives and the best part now that our rep got approval for the higher grade makes it well worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: GON

We had an issue, not really a big issue (well read on and decide that!) with our Shaw Laminate. There was a trouble area here and there and the only way to do it correctly is from one end of the house to the other end, something about how the pieces fit together and have to match up with the other rooms, we did not want transition pieces at the doors. Our builder and installer is going to replace the entire home with new. Typically it would have been the same (which we like) but we were allowed a case by case upgrade that we asked for. It still will be laminate but their higher grade, lifetime warranty/water RESISTANT not proof such as flooding) ya da ya da.

Anyway, they ordered our color selection and once it comes in we will have to vacate the house. They will have movers move everything out, tear out all the moldings, replace all the flooring which every room in the house has including bedrooms. (tile in the baths and laundry) install and paint new moldings. Pay for everything, movers, storage in driveway and (garage) and a place for us to stay for 3 days. Plus a meal allowance

I know it's a tough choice, LVP is water proof, laminate a bit easier on the feet, sound and insulating qualities. Pick your poison. No way was I going to let them do the whole house, they offered to try to repair but took them up on the offer to replace the whole house. Figured its worth a couple days of our lives and the best part now that our rep got approval for the higher grade makes it well worth it.
It's laminate and has been down about three years or so. With the exception of the laundry room-it's on the entire upper floor. We have a basement as do most homes in Utah. The chances of the basement slab being level in Utah is zero to none-so it's carpet.

Great call on not having transition pieces for many reasons.

I bet you said that when Corian was a big thing too :whistle:
Next ...
I felt like others that granite was a "forever and always desirable" material for kitchen countertops.

When my Wife and I would look at homes and see the granite kitchen countertops, first thing out of her mouth was the granite countertops are dated and need to be replaced. My Daughter who built three homes in the last 15 years fully concurs. I would cringe inside and think granite is just fine, I was in denial.

It took me a long time to grasp that yes, granite is a dated material for kitchen countertops. And I don't concur that granite is maintenance free, plenty of youtube videos of homeowners having to bring their granite kitchen countertops back to life with a pricey service, as the granite was not annually cleaned and sealed- the granite lost its luster.

I worked with aerospace alloys for years.........many compromises..............again my summary.

Granite is hard, brittle and heat resistance. But it is not particularly tough or chemical resistant. NOT resistant to strong bases and acids. Stone does erode in nature. This is undeniable.

Quartz is tough and resistant to any chemical you are likely to have in the house. It is NOT directly UV resistant IMHO.

Chose the look for your location.

Last edited:
I felt like others that granite was a "forever and always desirable" material for kitchen countertops.

When my Wife and I would look at homes and see the granite kitchen countertops, first thing out of her mouth was the granite countertops are dated and need to be replaced. My Daughter who built three homes in the last 15 years fully concurs. I would cringe inside and think granite is just fine, I was in denial.

It took me a long time to grasp that yes, granite is a dated material for kitchen countertops. And I don't concur that granite is maintenance free, plenty of youtube videos of homeowners having to bring their granite kitchen countertops back to life with a pricey service, as the granite was not annually cleaned and sealed- the granite lost its luster.
Options are nice to have in your case.
Actually I would think you will look at your quartz counter tops the same way someday as the public did with Corian
The color scheme in your case of a quartz countertop will be out of date to you just as much as a quartz countertop one day

Every product has benefits and negatives, depending on the person purchasing it
Positive and negatives are abound on the Internet
Let’s not even get into durability they’re both good products, but you will never find a quartz countertop out in the elements because the sun will destroy it. Manufacturer state they will avoid the warranty.

In almost every construction type of finish manufactures try to imitate the natural beauty of wood and stone. Also with manufactured products, you should be educated on the company that produces the product because there are inferior courtz countertop that are being produced at lower prices using different methods of production.

Plenty on you tube videos on any product with any person looking for clicks and attention. It does not make them an expert.

Not sure what the pissing match is about?
We all find value for different reasons in what we purchase

Last edited:
O

Sorry AG, didn't think this was anything more than a beneficial debate/ discussion. Didn't ever think it was a "match"; thought worthy of point/ counterpoint as kitchen countertops are a huge investment, and if one plans on selling their home in the near future, the current "prefferred" countertop, whatever that is, may be of critical importance to tell a potential buyer the kitchen is current/ modern.

Options are nice to have in your case.
Actually I would think you will look at your quartz counter tops the same way someday as the public did with Corian
The color scheme in your case of a quartz countertop will be out of date to you just as much as a quartz countertop one day

Every product has benefits and negatives, depending on the person purchasing it
Positive and negatives are abound on the Internet
Let’s not even get into durability they’re both good products, but you will never find a quartz countertop out in the elements because the sun will destroy it. Manufacturer state they will avoid the warranty.

In almost every construction type of finish manufactures try to imitate the natural beauty of wood and stone. Also with manufactured products, you should be educated on the company that produces the product because there are inferior courtz countertop that are being produced at lower prices using different methods of production.

Plenty on you tube videos on any product with any person looking for clicks and attention. It does not make them an expert.

Bottom Line-
If one lives in one particular location for any length of time-your kitchen will be outdated, just on what colors, features go in and out of style. To remodel any kitchen-thinking what the next buyer will want-IS AN EXERCISE IN FUTILITY.

On edit here are my examples- more than a few years ago the style was "Farmhouse Chic"-based on a couple of women on the cable channels-Joanna Gaines and Ree Drummond. Then kitchens shifted to the color scheme of Grey. And now in my area-the big thing is take out any dinning table area in the kitchen and have a big counter everyone sits around to eat.

SO-any house for sale is going to have a kitchen somebody doesn't like for a myriad of reasons.

Last edited:
Back