Countertops - Quartz vs Granite

Yeah sorry everything since June 2 was on my phone. Near impossible to properly caption at the time.

I was staying at my brother's house for the first part of my trip until I got COVID and then isolated in the back of parents house (who both had COVID ugggh)

Anyway those are three photos of a huge gouge/chip out that one of his son's did a LONG time ago. Totally unsure of the repair process and the inevitable polish of that surface because it is so smooth. Brother did say patch darkened with age.
Recent Covid? Funny, I haven't heard that word in a LONG time but just this morning, a co-worker of my wife spouse got it and has a 103 fever

The fear of a chip in Granite freaks me out. Our brand new 1 yr old home last week just got every sq ft of laminate flooring replaced (except tile baths and laundry) We had to move out for 3 days.
I hated the idea of workers around the granite and taped cardboard around all the edges and we put all our bedding on top of the counters so they didnt use it as a work bench. Ill post the whole story in home improvement one day.

Last edited:
I was in Jackson Hole, Wyoming over last weekend. It's a tourist town and a rich mans place to have a summer home. Gawking at the 3 million to 10 million (and higher) home listings in various Real Estate Brokers windows-most had Granite kitchens.

Last edited:
I read in the past that we shouldn't use bleach on quartz and anything else is fine, as it would turn cloudy. I guess if your slab is already cloudy it is not a big deal (and try to avoid UV hitting quartz).

For sanitize I usually just use soapy water, maybe if I don't want soap I'll use vinegar / citric acid. I'm not too scared of bacteria and parasite as long as it was soaped once and then dried. Maybe spraying rubbing alcohol on it is ok as well.

I usually just use a super big chopping board (24" x 36") for large meat project and call it a day. If I am worried I cut up a 13 gal trash bag and wrap it around my countertop, then toss it away afterward.

I read in the past that we shouldn't use bleach on quartz and anything else is fine, as it would turn cloudy. I guess if your slab is already cloudy it is not a big deal (and try to avoid UV hitting quartz).

For sanitize I usually just use soapy water, maybe if I don't want soap I'll use vinegar / citric acid. I'm not too scared of bacteria and parasite as long as it was soaped once and then dried. Maybe spraying rubbing alcohol on it is ok as well.

I usually just use a super big chopping board (24" x 36") for large meat project and call it a day. If I am worried I cut up a 13 gal trash bag and wrap it around my countertop, then toss it away afterward.
Bleach at light sanitizing concentrations will not harm any variety of countertop. 1 teaspoon in a gallon of water give or take.

Straight bleach will tear into granite, probably won't harm quartz.

Back