Countertops - Quartz vs Granite

I think Granite is timeless, much like a brick home. Other stuff comes and goes but the real stuff always last the test of time.
At the current time it is true Quartz is the rage but doesnt that go for any manufactured product? This is my thinking and why I prefer granite. It will always be what it is, stone. Unique in its own way.

Quartz will look exactly the same house to house depending on what style you chose. Before we settled on moving to the NC coast, we looked in Florida, that builder was using Quartz and every kitchen was exactly the same counter top. They looked real nice so if that is your thing that is good.

If granite and you are concerned about stains get yourself some real sealer and you are done for the next ten years.

Some large builders and home improvement centers may prefer and promote Quartz because it can be a better profit item. Everyone who can transport and cut granite is competition. Quartz can only be manufactured by large companies. Since quartz is a manufactured product large builders can get any style premolded to whatever types of homes they build.

Bottom line they are both good, both can have a disadvantage. I prefer rock solid stone. A piece of the earth cut to a custom size.
Seal it with the proper stuff if you are concerned about stains. Yes, I guess you can chip it I haven't known anyone that has.

Quartz is a man made product. It is mix of 90% stone dust, granite dust, waste products and other stuff combined with a polymer to form a counter top. It wont stain but it WILL burn. Some careless person put down a hot pot of pan on it from the stove, welcome to a nice burn spot.

They both look nice, we have granite (no surprise there) a family member just bought a new home from a national builder and has Quartz. Installers damaged the quartz it but since it is a made made product it is easy to repair. Granite will not be easy to repair I would think.

Here is the sealer I use after much research. Do not use water based sealer.
IMG_7983.JPG

Good luck with your decision, I am sure you will be happy with either one.

Last edited:
Aren't one or both of those less resilient to heat or chipping?
Quartz will be damaged by hot pans and pots.
Both can chip but I think maybe quartz would be much easier to repair since I saw a repair recently in a family member soon to be new home. Since quartz is polymer you would think it is easy to repair.

The selection of quartz has gotten better over the years. When it first came out it was more limited. Now they can do almost anything in quartz.

Granite has to be sealed.

I like our quartz Cambria countertops much better than some granite we have. The granite has chipped in a few spots but the quartz looks new and is 10 years old.

We looked at the three majors (granite, quartz and Corian) when refurbishing an inherited house. It had granite, but a poor installation meant it needed replacement (ugly seams and a crack).
Quartz is more practical for the reasons listed in other posts, but it's a man made product and isn't natural like granite. It consists of ground quartz combined with epoxy, polymers and pigment.
I like the looks of granite and the fact it's a natural stone, but for our house the wife would overrule me and go for quartz for the practicality.
I have Corian from my single days, 2004 install. It’s held up and perhaps it’s not stylish today? Had some relatives suggest we get rid of it and get some up to date material. Funny thing I wasn’t asking nor planning a remodel 😂

Almost 8 weeks ago to the day, I had a pipe go. It had been leaking for apparently quite some time. Long enough for a nice juicy mold colony (actually several colonies as I had several different colors of mold) to take root under my wood laminate in 2 rooms and underneath and in my lower cabinets. Moisture dictated the removal of laminate in 70% of the house. I went with LVP as I'm not a fan of wood laminate. The adjuster has slow walked me to death on this, but I'm pretty close to choosing new countertops. So I start the old Google machine up and it seems that quartz is all the rage. If I wanted white, I could see going quartz. There's some really sharp whites out there, but I do not want white. I guess I'm just old fashioned, but I prefer more earth tones. I would have to paint my cabinets to go with a white quartz, and change out my backsplash (which also has earth tones) - so I'm not into all of that.
Granite offers some really nice earth tones, and very reasonably. Santa Cecilia, Uba Tuba, and Iberian Sunset are the 3 granites I keep going back too. There is a quartz I like, Sienna Ridge Money isn't a factor, because of those 4, there's only about a $400 difference and I don't mind shelling out a few hundred if quartz is 'really that much better'. I don't see why it is so much better though. The only real benefit I see is that quartz is non-porous and I know that granite isn't. I haven't had granite in quite some time, but the last time I had granite I never had a problem with staining. I know from ye olde Google that quartz isn't quite as heat resistant as granite, so those seem the 2 big trade offs.

What would you go with? I have chipped granite in the past, but a bullnosed edge seems to be pretty good at negating that. Internet is torn on whether or not quartz is really better at not chipping. If you have experience with both, or even just quartz, help a brother out.
We put in Silestone quartz about ten years ago. Been flawless!
I don’t see the exact one now - this picture is close - and it polished up really well …

IMG_2540.jpg

IMO, Cambria is the most natural looking quartz. Last time I checked it was also the only U.S. manufactured quartz (Minnesota, I believe). We have it on all our countertops. No complaints.

Quartz in the house here, 9 years now and it gave us no issues and it's easy to maintain, a little Vim for cleaning glass counter tops and ceramics cleans it great.

The selection of quartz has gotten better over the years. When it first came out it was more limited. Now they can do almost anything in quartz.

Granite has to be sealed.
True, but remember Quartz is a manufactured product, just like Corian and Formica. Though Formica sold in Sheets Corian and Quartz can be "poured/molded" into anything shape and design. It's a Chemical ploymer.
Granite has to be cut out of stone.

Granite can stain. Corian and Quartz can burn from hot pots placed on it.
The Granite Stain thing is something of the past. All one has to do is seal it every 5 to 10 years. Problem is many dont take the time to use the right product and modern marketing takes advantage of those people who think a squirt bottle is going to actually work. Not much better than the extra wax you pay for at the automatic car wash!
But even then the Stain thing is overblown just like anything in the media and much easier to handle then a burnt Corian or Quartz countertop.

511 Impregnator Sealant, This product is wipe on, let sit for 2 minutes or so. Wipe off excess wait 48 hours to cure and you are done. If and only if you are one to think without sealing your granite is going to turn to space garbage if you dont. Me, being who I am, I sealed it when we moved into our new home last year.

(and after I wrote this long post I think I posted much the same above in post #22)

True, but remember Quartz is a manufactured product, just like Corian and Formica. Though Formica sold in Sheets Corian and Quartz can be "poured/molded" into anything shape and design. It's a Chemical ploymer.
Quartz has epoxy polymer in it and I suppose it will burn but putting it in the same category as Formica and Corian is disingenuous at best.

Sure you don't want to set a red hot pan on granite, nor would you set a pan over 300°F on quartz.

Funny you leave out the true pluses of quartz. Granite is brittle and does chip. Quartz can but it would almost have to be purposeful. Quartz is just physically tougher than granite.

Have you owned quartz counter tops?

Quartz has epoxy polymer in it and I suppose it will burn but putting it in the same category as Formica and Corian is disingenuous at best.

Sure you don't want to set a red hot pan on granite, nor would you set a pan over 300°F on quartz.

Funny you leave out the true pluses of quartz. Granite is brittle and does chip. Quartz can but it would almost have to be purposeful. Quartz is just physically tougher than granite.

Have you owned quartz counter tops?
You're taking things personal, I like stone, like I like a brick home.

Quartz is a manufactured product like Corian and Formica.
No one can deny the desirability of manufactured products come and go based on the history of those 3 types of countertops.
BTW- a family member is moving into a new home with quartz, they love the sparkle but there were two significant chips. I guess easily repaired since it's epoxy. I remember when Corian was the big thing to have in your kitchen, yet granite still held it desirability. Now we have the name Quartz to replace Corain.
Also the name itself is misleading, it's not quartz, it's a mixture of stone dust and even recycled glass dust.

Granite is still granite, like brick is brick. I see it as timeless, each cut of granite is unique in is own way being it is stone each can have a unique attraction to some and cost the same as Quartz.

BTW - my statements are from Consumer reports and MANY references on the subject all over the internet. Just like you say you can chip granite you can do the same with quartz and like I say you can repair quartz easily I guess since it's epoxy. Like you point out you dont want to put a hot pot on a counter, though the pot doesnt have to be 300 degrees to damage quartz, mistakes happen and quartz will burn per consumer reports and others.

Im not leaving anything out, if you have something to add then do it.

Last edited:
Taking it personal? Didn't think so, but OK I will now. 🤪 :cool: :p

Sure Quartz counters are a manufactured product. So is steel or really any purposeful alloy, and alloying - manufacturing - makes things better.

We currently have granite now. Our previous house had quartz. I would chose quartz in a heartbeat when we replace this granite. It looks better, it's tougher, it's easier to clean and maintain, it's just a nicer countertop period. But if you like timeless and old school, nothing wrong with that.

You purposely brought Formica up, because???? Seemed odd to me, almost like you were trying to denigrate Quartz countertops. I never said anything bad about granite really. I just don't like it as much.

Taking it personal? Didn't think so, but OK I will now. 🤪 :cool: :p

Sure Quartz counters are a manufactured product. So is steel or really any purposeful alloy, and alloying - manufacturing - makes things better.

We currently have granite now. Our previous house had quartz. I would chose quartz in a heartbeat when we replace this granite. It looks better, it's tougher, it's easier to clean and maintain, it's just a nicer countertop period. But if you like timeless and old school, nothing wrong with that.

You purposely brought Formica up, because???? Seemed odd to me, almost like you were trying to denigrate Quartz countertops. I never said anything bad about granite really. I just don't like it as much.
Yup, you took it personal
Why did I bring up Formica? look at the history
Formica was the first well known man made counter top, next was Corain, next was Quartz. What do the three have in common? They are manufactured products. Like you say, epoxy. You would not use Quartz outdoors with an entertainment area and grill. The sunlight (UV) will take a toll on it. Same reason you wouldnt want it long term in a sun drenched kitchen, it can yellow.

All along there was stone and that is Granite. You can chip it but, it is stone and its chemically stable (billions of years) because it is stone. For some, including me, I think it's kind of cool having a slab of stone cut out of rock taken from the ground that has been around for almost since the earth formed but that is me and others, chose what you like. Your assumptions about my post are wrong. For some like me I just dont see the comparison as far as having a slab of rock for my counter top vs man made materials that have come and gone. Certainly nothing wrong with that and the cost is the same.

Screenshot 2024-05-31 at 10.02.09 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Back