Counterfeit Oil Filters, ebay

I recently purchased 4 counterfeit oil filters from an ebay seller. Because of this filters unique external and internal design and the fact that I've been buying this specific pt# for 10+ yrs, it was easy for me to see something wasn't right. I messaged the ebay seller asking for a refund and mentioned I thought they were counterfeits. I immediately received a refund. The seller didn't want the filters back.

I messaged a BITOG member that works for the oil filter company and told them what I thought I had found. They asked for the ebay sellers info, and asked me to ship a couple of the counterfeits to them. I agreed and shipped 2 to them at their expense, 1 was intact and another that I had cut open. They agreed they were counterfeits, thanked me, shipped me 6 new filters, and advised me to only purchase from their dealers.

The ebay seller is no longer selling that filter on ebay. I assume the oil filter company legal department got involved.

Last edited:
My understanding is that this is becoming a common occurrence, even on Amazon. Good thing you caught it before any damage were done to your car.

Last edited:
Any site with third party sellers are susceptible to counterfeit items. eBay is great for used mirrors, tail lights, trim piece, etc... but any new parts should be purchased from a reputable store or dealer authorized to sell by the manufacturer.

Any site with third party sellers are susceptible to counterfeit items. eBay is great for used mirrors, tail lights, trim piece, etc... but any new parts should be purchased from a reputable store or dealer authorized to sell by the manufacturer.
AutoZone, AAP, WalMart, etc are all technically 3rd party sellers, or even 4th party if they buy from a distributor…

If a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is. That’s always a safe assumption, as is buying from mfr-authorized (and listed on mfr website in best-case) retailers.

Are we surprised, should we be surprised? No, we all know better with the hours of content on BITOG regarding this matter.

AutoZone, AAP, WalMart, etc are all technically 3rd party sellers, or even 4th party if they buy from a distributor…

If a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is. That’s always a safe assumption, as is buying from mfr-authorized (and listed on mfr website in best-case) retailers.

Amazon, Walmart and a lot of other sites allow third party sellers to sell on their platform. If you're buying from Walmart or Amazon direct you'll be okay, but if Joe's Discount Filters are selling something through Amazon or Walmart.com you have no idea what you're getting.

Amazon, Walmart and a lot of other sites allow third party sellers to sell on their platform. If you're buying from Walmart or Amazon direct you'll be okay, but if Joe's Discount Filters are selling something through Amazon or Walmart.com you have no idea what you're getting.
With Amazon this isn't exactly true. Amazon takes all of the incoming inventory from third party sellers and their own inventory and stocks it together. Same part number one pile of inventory. A unscrupulous seller could send in counterfeits and that inventory would get mixed in with the genuine stuff. You could have genuine and counterfeit in the same pile. Who knows what you would get even if the seller was Amazon directly. I recently purchased NGK spark plugs for my Goldwing and I bought them from a trusted motorcycle parts dealer directly on their website. It would be too easy to get fakes buying from Amazon or eBay. At least with eBay you know the inventory is not commingled so if you find a seller selling fakes they can be shut down easier.

Recently got burned buying rear suspension parts from a Chinese marketplace..

As dumb as it sounds, I believed the seller when he said they're authentic. Thought maybe the dealers sell for cheaper over there..

From now on, I'll only buy direct from the manufacturer if ordering anything from China.

If ordering from North America, it definitely won't be from eBay or Amazon where these fakes also exist.

If it wasn't for the made in Gemany, they might have gotten away with it.

IMG_7634.jpg

IMG_7635.JPG

IMG_7636.JPG

IMG_7637.JPG

IMG_7638.JPG

Ebay is very good for New Old Stock parts. You know, the ones nobody bothers to counterfeit because most of the vehicles they're for have been crushed by now.

As dumb as it sounds, I believed the seller when he said they're authentic. Thought maybe the dealers sell for cheaper over there..

From now on, I'll only buy direct from the manufacturer if ordering anything from China.

If ordering from North America, it definitely won't be from eBay or Amazon where these fakes also exist.

View attachment 130870

View attachment 130871

View attachment 130872

View attachment 130873

View attachment 130874
Why do you think they're counterfeit?

Why do you think they're counterfeit?

How could so many parts be labeled "made in Gemany" - missing the r in Germany?

Other than the shock absorbers, I think all the parts are labeled like that.

I'm going to try and join the Chinese version of bobistheoilguy and ask their opinion.

If google translate is used, they call @OVERKILL "an old brother" of BITOG

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 7.22.55 PM.jpg

How could so many parts be labeled "made in Gemany" - missing the r in Germany?

Other than the shock absorbers, I think all the parts are labeled like that.

I'm going to try and join the Chinese version of bobistheoilguy and ask their opinion.

If google translate is used, they call @OVERKILL "an old brother" of BITOG

View attachment 130883
Thanks. I never noticed the missing "r". That's what you get when you read too fast.
:oops:

I recently purchased 4 counterfeit oil filters from an ebay seller. Because of this filters unique external and internal design and the fact that I've been buying this specific pt# for 10+ yrs, it was easy for me to see something wasn't right. I messaged the ebay seller asking for a refund and mentioned I thought they were counterfeits. I immediately received a refund. The seller didn't want the filters back.

I messaged a BITOG member that works for the oil filter company and told them what I thought I had found. They asked for the ebay sellers info, and asked me to ship a couple of the counterfeits to them. I agreed and shipped 2 to them at their expense, 1 was intact and another that I had cut open. They agreed they were counterfeits, thanked me, shipped me 6 new filters, and advised me to only purchase from their dealers.

The ebay seller is no longer selling that filter on ebay. I assume the oil filter company legal department got involved.
The eBay sell probably knew they were counterfeit.

I used to buy lots of stuff on ebay, used USA made tools, NOS parts, etc - basically garage sale stuff but even that is trouble these days. The whole place has been over-run by scammers and thieves.

These days, just about all car manufacturers have an online store. You can order parts online and select local pickup option at a participating dealership closest to you to save on shipping, provided that you live in a close proximity to some civilization. They also offer a discount of 10-15% depending on the manufacturer. This work great with Toyota and Subaru, maybe not so much with BMW because their parts are never inexpensive. But it’s your own fault for buying a BMW in the first place. 😊

View attachment 130870

View attachment 130871

View attachment 130872

View attachment 130873

View attachment 130874
These fakes look so good and real, it's impressive actually... I too did not notice the "r" missing from Germany when I initially saw the photos...

I have asked around here in the past regarding Amazon and the overwhelming response was to stay far away from them, which I have done ever since, especially on critical component parts after seeing threads, and pictures, exactly like this. Ebay I never even thought of touching. I like a good deal just like the next person wrenching on their cars, but clearly you have to be really careful

FWIW, I remember ordering some cheap aftermarket wheel bearings a few years ago from my local parts store, only to throw them out after asking some questions here as they seemed to stiff after install... When I did order some SKF bearings from rock auto, I was bit weary after reading how easy it is to counterfeit them, that I ended up contacting skf for confirmation that they are real and not fake... I was surprised to find out that they have a whole department dedicated to detecting fakes... It's amazing what people will do for a buck these days

Back