Couldn't take it anymore

Good to know that GY seems to have bad wet grip on most of their tires. My 06 Focus came with Eagle RSA's and while they were pretty good in the dry, in the wet they were quite bad and with no ABS on this one I thought some decent tires would be a good idea...

Wife and I drove up to Orillia today to look at some trailers and it was wet/raining. Pulled out onto a main road and could not accelerate. Touching the gas had the truck walking its ass sideways. This is not the first time I've experienced it, this is what had me looking at tossing these tires last year and I'm finally fed up enough that I've ordered new ones, which I did about 30 seconds after this event.

Trucks has ~40,000Km on it and gets dedicated snows every winter. Despite that, and the absolutely horrific wet traction these tires serve up, these are burning off at an alarming rate (quite unlike the snow tires, which are wearing exceptionally well).

Some pics:
Rear:
View attachment 53764
View attachment 53765

Front:
View attachment 53766
View attachment 53767

Sidewall:
View attachment 53768
View attachment 53769

These are by far the worst brand name tires I've ever owned (which I believe I've opined on in a previous thread). While they hook-up just fine in the dry; I'd argue they actually are quite good in the dry, their wet traction is next-level bad. My reference is the snows, which we just took off a few weeks ago, which are orders of magnitude better in the wet than these are.

Replacement are Michelin Defender LTX M/S, hope to have them installed in the next couple of days.
considering snows are bad in the wet, that's saying something...

Another mechanic once told me the reason they are called Good Year is because they are good for a year then they start to fail. I see what he means now LOL.

Maybe he went with the E-rated 285/50/22 Toyo AT IIIs.
Yes, you don't need E-rated tires on a SUV anymore than using a .338LM to put little holes in paper. But it's fun.

Maybe he went with the E-rated 285/50/22 Toyo AT IIIs.
Yes, you don't need E-rated tires on a SUV anymore than using a .338LM to put little holes in paper. But it's fun.

Nope, nothing load range E lol. I did however do a slight deviation after the tires I ordered weren't in stock and I was able to save $700.00. I chose the top-rated tire in the class, that's a big hint ;)

Have you considered going down in wheel diameter? I know a few people with 22in wheels on their trucks and they’ve all complained of poor traction. It seems like 20in wheels are the largest diameter wheels that should be put on trucks. The low profile tires and 22in diameter wheels seem to cause some issues for some. Just a thought.

Last edited:
I think the wet traction is the most important quality in a tire. You expect to have traction issues with snow and if you live in an area with a lot of it, you will get dedicated winter tires. If you don't, you just drive extremely cautiously in the rare times that there is snow on the road. The rest of the year, just about any tire does well on dry but with modern tires, the wet traction has almost no relationship to apparent treadwear. Just at a certain point, the tires stop biting in the rain. I don't like that feeling at all because it means unanticipated traction issues. Throw out the old regardless of how they look at get fresh tires. I've thrown out a set of Michelins that looked like they had lots of tread yet were squirrely in the wet. I've had good luck with Continentals in the wet.

Back