Couldn't take it anymore

There's a twist!!! My dealer buddy ordered BOTH SETS OF TIRES!!! :ROFLMAO:

0A5BA9DA-7033-463D-A810-6E8F43AC6C13_1_105_c.jpeg

88FB4977-13D5-4249-ABEC-DC36314C3684_1_105_c.jpeg

ACE2320F-F0DB-4F0E-BA59-36424AAEBBAD_1_105_c.jpeg

370834CC-C35F-4826-9CF2-6EB2EBF315C3_1_105_c.jpeg

93611990-35F7-492C-9310-46FD0CF1C217_1_105_c.jpeg

6D1A053C-EB4B-4405-B71A-3B691C7AB702_1_105_c.jpeg

In reality, he just didn't cancel the Michelin order, figured they'd be good to have in stock either way.

Looking at the two tires side-by-side, while the tread pattern is very similar the Michelin clearly has massively more siping.

In reality, he just didn't cancel the Michelin order, figured they'd be good to have in stock either way.

Looking at the two tires side-by-side, while the tread pattern is very similar the Michelin clearly has massively more siping.
Michelin sipes look wider as well. I suppose tread compound plays a factor in the overall wet weather performance though.

I'd go with the Conti's. A little more void and slightly deeper tread. They might be better in heavy rain and snow and last longer than the Michelins.
I fell off the Michelin band wagon after I bought a set of LTX ATs in 275/65/20.

I'd go with the Conti's. A little more void and slightly deeper tread. They might be better in heavy rain and snow and last longer than the Michelins.
I fell off the Michelin band wagon after I bought a set of LTX ATs in 275/65/20.

Yes, the LTX A/T was a blem on what has otherwise been a world-class product line.

Re Michelin,
My understanding is that the tread pattern runs the full depth, down to the wear bars. Not sure this is true with all brands, actually I know for sure this was the case for some tires I have owned.

Yes, the LTX A/T was a blem on what has otherwise been a world-class product line.
Some of the LTX-ATs had 3 steel belts and no nylon cap plies to hold the tire together at high speeds. The 275/65/20 was one of them, good to 60 mph. The stock size in 2500s and 3500s was 265/70/18 (2019 and older). Those LTX-ATs had 2 ply sidewalls, 2 steel plies and 2 nylon cap plies, and did not exibit high speed issues that made the tires seem out of balance. One tire tech at Costco spent 2 hours trying to balance my 20s while I shopped. The continous high speed shaking on trips across the prairies wore them out in 35,000 miles (60k kms).
Now 11R/24.5s are another story. Used Michelin cases for re-capping are worth more than brand new off-shore tires.

OK, maybe it's time I talked about OE tires.

It isn't that OE tires - the ones that come on new vehicles from the assembly plant - are cheap (inexpensive, poorly made). It's that the design goals are different. The vehicle manufacturer specifies the performance parameters and their emphasis is on fuel economy, and they are willing to sacrifice treadwear and traction to get it. Consumers think treadwear and traction are indicators of cheap tires, so OE tires get that undeserved reputation.

But OE specs only apply to that one size/make/model. Other sizes in the same make and model would be different. Sometimes even the tire you buy at local tire store of the same size/make/model is different, but that is not usually the case.

It's also common that when that size/make/model is no longer supplied to the vehicle assembly plant, that it will revert to replacement market specs. That means that if you buy a vehicle and 3 years later need tires, that make/model tire that came on your vehicle has likely changed.

Yet to find a tire that glues like PSS to the road in wet.
I think the conti sportcontacts are better, atleast by autocross results, and probably most of the 200tw autocross tires are better too, but not as streetable as the sportcontacts. I do find it interesting the PSS is considered one of the best gripping street tires but they aren't competitive for serious autocrossers?

I think the conti sportcontacts are better, atleast by autocross results, and probably most of the 200tw autocross tires are better too, but not as streetable as the sportcontacts. I do find it interesting the PSS is considered one of the best gripping street tires but they aren't competitive for serious autocrossers?
The TireRack results seem to favour the Michelin?

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 4.00.58 PM.jpg

And the ContiSportContact 3 vs the PS2 (which the PSS replaced):
Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 4.03.32 PM.jpg

Unless I'm looking at the wrong tire?

Back