Couldn't take it anymore

My Camaro and Mustang came with factory Goodyears. Nothing special, traction-wise, and they wore out FAST. I don't see the point in paying Goodyear prices for this kind of traction & wear.

Not fair to criticize a tire when it is practically worn out. Tread bars are almost as high as the tread.

Not fair to criticize a tire when it is practically worn out. Tread bars are almost as high as the tread.
The tires were crap new, then they wore out quickly and got crappier over time until they became dangerous.

Find me a Goodyear with a different story. Maybe the Duratrac; that seems to be their only decent tire.

The tires were crap new, then they wore out quickly and got crappier over time until they became dangerous.

Find me a Goodyear with a different story. Maybe the Duratrac; that seems to be their only decent tire.
The Silent Armor(now Adventure AT)is a very good tire. The Assurance all season and max life seem to do good as well. Unfortunately for them it seems that Goodyear is more well known for their tires that do NOT perform.

Please take a moment to read my thread from the year we bought the truck, 2019, to see that, as I noted in the OP, they were this bad when new:

The Silent Armor(now Adventure AT)is a very good tire. The Assurance all season and max life seem to do good as well. Unfortunately for them it seems that Goodyear is more well known for their tires that do NOT perform.
I had Goodyear Assurance FuelMax whatevers on the Touareg when I bought it.

The Cooper AT3 4S that replaced them is a better tire in every way. It's even quieter.

The General Altimax is a great tire. I recommend it to everyone that asks me. Not sure they have truck sizes though.

The General Altimax is a great tire. I recommend it to everyone that asks me. Not sure they have truck sizes though.
I like several of General's tires. The HTS60 is a very good highway all season, maybe not quite Michelin Defender good but not in that price range either. I really think the General ATX is the best all terrain currently on the market. I put them on my personal truck and sell them to my friends and family that run all terrains as well.

Their performance tires leave a lot to be desired from what I've seen.

I also don't subscribe to the OEM tires are bad theory either. My current F150 came from the factory with Goodyear Wrangler Adventure with Kevlar tires in the LT flavor, same as the ones you get from an aftermarket retailer, and I liked them well enough to replace with the same. Have had similar experiences with Michelin tires.

Thats a self fufilling prophecy, You got good tires the same as aftermarket and they were good.

Same on my trailhawk they come with standard version of Firestone destination AT and they are above average.
Usually I replace my OE tires within 1 year 12k miles.
Just ditched the kumho ta31 on the 2020 elantra in feb.

Its when you get into different tires with Car manufacturer spec'ed specific models or compounds for tires
that have the same name as aftermarket.. that typically people are unsatisfied.

Ford says give me a tire that gets max mpg.. so they do and it sucks terribly for that extra 3% fuel economy.

But its named the same as the aftermarket version that has twice the traction.. Ford wont get the blame.. even though its their fault..

I detest the yokohama g91f and g95a that come on subaru, but their geolandar g015 is near category leading for mild AT tire.

I had Goodyear Assurance FuelMax whatevers on the Touareg when I bought it.

The Cooper AT3 4S that replaced them is a better tire in every way. It's even quieter.
I had the exact opposite experience with Cooper and Goodyear. It was on a full size truck though so different usage.

I had the Cooper Discoverer AT which was the loudest AT tire I've ever had, got poor traction off road and in wet weather. Replaced it with a Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor which was WAY quieter, much better in wet and slightly better off road as well.

As others
Many people on this thread are just too harsh on Goodyear in general. They do make some good tires. Some bad ones too. That particular one doesn't get ranked too highly on tirerack, something like 45 out of 58. They have a few other tires that are ranked in the top 5 out of 30-40 tires. I think you have to look at the individual ranking on a particular tire. I had Goodyear Tripletreds before. At the time I got them, they were ranked #1 on tirerack which is why others on here like them too.
I've had the same experience, it depends much more on the specific model than the manufacturer as a whole. Goodyear Adventure AT w/ Kevlar have been great, Goodyear SR-A were slippery in any type of wet condition. Bridgestone Alenza Plus were great, Bridgestone Turanza EL400 were the loudest tires I've ever owned. Michelin LTX M/S2 were great, Michelin MXV4 were pretty slippery in snow.

Have you looked at the reviews on Tire Rack? The folks with RAMs with this exactly same tire and size say they were garbage from the beginning. Chrysler was cheaping out with these tires. They should never go on a large truck or SUV.

FIL just removed a set of wrecked Goodyear Wranglers from his Ram.

Managed to get a whopping 22k miles out of them...
Twice what I got from Hankook’s … also culled over wet road misery 😳
Conversely … the Cooper Evolution’s I put on the Tahoe are as good in the rain as the factory Mich’s

They finally start making a great truck, and then have the audacity to put awful tires on them! My Goodyear Wrangler SR-A’s won’t make it 2 years, only have 14k miles on them, went through a round a bout at 25mph and like yours it just wanted to slide.
FIL just removed a set of wrecked Goodyear Wranglers from his Ram.

Managed to get a whopping 22k miles out of them...
Mine still have 11/32+ remaining after 11K miles, which is odd. I am usually known to be hard on tires too. If I can keep mine in balance for more than 3-4k, I would be happy at this point. :rolleyes:

Mine still have 11/32+ remaining after 11K miles, which is odd. I am usually known to be hard on tires too. If I can keep mine in balance for more than 3-4k, I would be happy at this point. :rolleyes:
Best of luck. FWIW it seems my AT3 4S are wearing at a rate of ~1/32" per 10,000 miles.

Are OEM tires better, worse, same as those on the replacement market?
For those who haven't seen it, here's BITOG regular CapriRacer's (a retired tire engineer) take on it:

They are the same tire that you can buy in the aftermarket. Why would a tire maker build a tire that is exclusive to a car produced in large numbers? It makes no sense. Now, there are cars out there that do get such tires. Porsche, Bugatti, Ferrari, Austin-Martin and a few others.

They are the same tire that you can buy in the aftermarket. Why would a tire maker build a tire that is exclusive to a car produced in large numbers? It makes no sense. Now, there are cars out there that do get such tires. Porsche, Bugatti, Ferrari, Austin-Martin and a few others.
Fuel economy is a critical spec for automakers due to CAFE. The tires are an important component of this.

You would be surprised how many times you can find a different part number for a tire of the same name due to the fact that it is a manufacturer replacement tire. I know I was!

I would say that vehicle manufacturer contracts are the biggest tire mover. So it's not too far fetched to believe tire manufacturers would bend to their wishes.

You would be surprised how many times you can find a different part number for a tire of the same name due to the fact that it is a manufacturer replacement tire. I know I was!

I would say that vehicle manufacturer contracts are the biggest tire mover. So it's not too far fetched to believe tire manufacturers would bend to their wishes.
For example:

1618241075230.jpg

Back