Could this be true

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking to one of the technicians at a mazda dealer the other day, and he told me that mazda does not recommend Synthtic Oil on their turbo vehicles.

He told me that it is because fumes from Synthetic oil causes oxygen sensors to make engine run leaner.

I personally do not think it makes sense at all, but I am not an expert.
What do you guys think?

I know the RX-8's Rotary engine does not like synthetic but as far as Turbo vehicles, it's usually recommended.

Synthetic oil can do harm to their rotary engine and will void the warranty, so they probably tell everyone who owns a Mazda not to use synthetic just to make sure the message is not confusing.

I always knew that they do not recommend syntetic for their rotary engines, but I thought that it was not the case for turbo engines.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I think that mechanic has been sniffing too many fumes from a can of spray paint.

Or sniffing fumes from the cars running synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: hibuhibu
I was talking to one of the technicians at a mazda dealer the other day, and he told me that mazda does not recommend Synthtic Oil on their turbo vehicles.

He told me that it is because fumes from Synthetic oil causes oxygen sensors to make engine run leaner.

What do you guys think?

your car shouldn't burn that much oil to affect the sensors in the first place... i call [censored].
21.gif

I have an email from the Mazda technical engineering rep. Any oil meeting viscosity and service requirement grade is acceptable including synthetic and synthetic blend. I hate these self appointed experts passing out false information. I had to take a copy of the email to my dealer and had a sit-down with their head service person. After reviewing the email from Mazda he said ALL service personnel & technicians would be informed that if the car owner requested a synthetic oil that is what he gets. My car is a Mazda CX 7 turbo.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Max_Wander
wow! the original [bee ess] rumour from the 80s has really evolved into something dumb.

Who used synthetic in the 80's?

I used it once in 1988.

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
wow! the original [bee ess] rumour from the 80s has really evolved into something dumb.

I used it once in 1988.

Maybe that rumour is from the 90's? It just seems so old and misinsterpreted at this point, even for the Rotary engine.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I think that mechanic has been sniffing too many fumes from a can of spray paint.

+1

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto

I used it once in 1988.

Maybe that rumour is from the 90's? It just seems so old and misinsterpreted at this point, even for the Rotary engine.

You're not getting off that easy, mister.
mad.gif

Off Topic

I used Shell Artic Oil in about 1978, semi syn oil,5-30 oil too,still in the old tin quarts, bright yellow quart with red lettering, loud label. I remember everyone telling me to get that oil out of my Datsun once the temps raised above -10F or my engine would burn up due to that thin oil. I remember guys buying Mobil 1 for $6.00 quart in 1978, black and silver lable on tin quart if I remember right. $6.00 for a quart oil in 1979 was serious coin back then.

Cyprs

Originally Posted By: BigNick
A bit off topic.. but how/why does synth harm a rotary engine?

Simplified, but essentially true: a properly functioning rotary engine burns a good bit of oil, period. Conventional oil burns more completely and cleanly, while synthetic (more resistant to high temps) can leave deposits on the engines' apex seals. So syn is a no-go in that application.

tropic - I thought the cat was what would ultimately suffer from the oil use.
Either way, synth oil seems 2nd best at this time in rotary engine development.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hibuhibu

What do you guys think?

No. The Mazda dealership my friend used to work at was happy to use Mobil1 (in a non-rotary engine)...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cyprs

Off Topic . . .

I remember guys buying Mobil 1 for $6.00 quart in 1978, black and silver lable on tin quart if I remember right. $6.00 for a quart oil in 1979 was serious coin back then.

Cyprs

It's serious coin now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back