Costco "Clean Power" signs no longer posted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that the stations in my area had cardboard signs prominently displayed on top of each pump. Now all the stations I've been to don't display them any more. All I see are signs for the Costco AMEX card. It doesn't sound like they're discontinuing the use of their own additive delivery system, but I'm wondering why take down the signs.

It just seems a bit odd. I would have thought they wanted to make it a big selling point. Or perhaps they didn't want to create a disincentive to use their gas stations where they haven't installed the equipment yet.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Those are advertising signs. Nothing more.

Sure. However, they were at one time clearly marking which stations had this additive. Not having the sign pointed out which stations were still relying on perhaps a standard additive pack/level added at the fuel terminal. Every Chevron gas pump has the "Techron" trademark printed right on the face. Shell still prominently places their "Nitrogen Enriched" signs on top of their pumps.

I thought this was useful since Costco is at a point where they don't have a complete rollout of their additive, which is the only one I know of that's metered at the gas station itself.

Costco gasoline tab at Costco.com has a link and then a by-state listing of all stations that have the Clean Power additive. If there's any doubt, I would use that listing to verify that the Clean Power additive is still in use. Quite a few California stations are listed.

I've certainly looked at the list. However, I'm thinking a lot of people looked up this info once they saw these signs posted on the pumps.

I understand that most of the stations that haven't been modified are in California. The biggest deal is with getting the permits to install the equipment.

Costco's director of gasoline operations has been pretty active on message boards and sending responses to inquires. He's said that after they roll out "Clean Power" completely, they may even apply for Top Tier certification. One issue they have now is that Top Tier requires all stations for a particular brand to comply, and Costco hasn't reached that yet.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
I've noticed that the stations in my area had cardboard signs prominently displayed on top of each pump. Now all the stations I've been to don't display them any more. All I see are signs for the Costco AMEX card.

I fuel up my car at two Costco stores down here in So. Cal. One is by my house and the other is by my work. They too, have replaced the Clean Power signs with the American Express ads. The location by my work still has a large Clean Power banner strung up to some light poles though.

I'm not sure why they would have removed the signs. Perhaps you could ask your warehouse manager?

I'm sure it would qualify for Top Tier, if they did have all stations with Clean Power. I always knew, from reading the Top Tier Site, that that would prevent them from being Top Tier anytime soon.

I spoke with a COSTCO representative and I was told all COSTCO stations in No. CA have had the Clean Power gas since Feb. 19.
It is now put in the trucks at the pickup areas to delivery to the stations.

Originally Posted By: Tron1
I spoke with a COSTCO representative and I was told all COSTCO stations in No. CA have had the Clean Power gas since Feb. 19.

I'm not quite sure about that, unless they've done it without updating their list of locations. There's one near where I live that isn't on the list, and the last weekend I went there they were open but digging trenches. I'm thinking it was probably to drop in the additive holding tank and to replumb the pipes. OTOH - I saw another station that's been on the Clean Power list that had some digging going on.

Costco's Director of Gasoline Operations is Tim Hurlocker, and he's been pretty active on various message boards getting out the word on "Clean Power". I read a few posts that state that they're thinking of getting a Top Tier certification once all stations are properly set up. The Lubrizol UltraZol 9888 additive that they use probably has extensive tests already performed, and it wouldn't surprise me if they already conform to the Top Tier requirements.

Question about Costco, as they finally have one in Da Swamp: Do you have to be a member to buy gasoline there? Because they seem to be about .10/gallon cheaper than even Walmart. And are their gasolines 10% ethanol, or ethanol free -- or does that vary by location? (I couldn't find answers on their website.)

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Question about Costco, as they finally have one in Da Swamp: Do you have to be a member to buy gasoline there? Because they seem to be about .10/gallon cheaper than even Walmart. And are their gasolines 10% ethanol, or ethanol free -- or does that vary by location? (I couldn't find answers on their website.)

All costco guarantees is the additive levels. anything else is unknown except what is posted on the pump.

Yes, you have to be a member and you have to pay with cash or an american express card.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

All costco guarantees is the additive levels. anything else is unknown except what is posted on the pump.

Yes, you have to be a member and you have to pay with cash or an american express card.

I think you mean a Costco Cash card. None of the pumps here in CA take actual cash. Also, since gasoline sold at Costco is regulated just like the gasoline from other stations, whatever is going into nearby stations is likely what Costco is dispensing save for brand-specific additives.

Costco locally uses shell branded fuel. I saw a shell tanker filling up their underground tanks.
Maybe Costco is no longer using shell branded fuel

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Costco locally uses shell branded fuel. I saw a shell tanker filling up their underground tanks.
Maybe Costco is no longer using shell branded fuel

TiredTrucker has explained what happened when he used to deliver fuel. The fuel market is primarily a commodity market where fuel is a fungible commodity. A large fuel marketer probably has its own proprietary additive (possibly made for them by a large chemical company like Lubrizol or Afton) and this additive is metered with the delivery when a trucker comes is and swipes his access card. Everything is already set up before the trucker arrives, what driver is going to show up, the quantity/type of fuel, the available delivery equipment, and the end customer. If it's a Shell station, they'll deliver the additive set up at the terminal for Shell. There might be one or several generic additives.

Strangely enough, the vast majority of deliveries I see around here are with independent fuel trucking companies like Beneto. That includes Shell, Chevron, Valero, and independents and convenience stores. I wouldn't be surprised if Shell doesn't simply hire out their delivery services when they have availability. It might not even carry the Shell proprietary additive. If it's a Clean Power station then I'm thinking it probably isn't.

Costco buys on the spot and futures markets. Then they get deliveries at local terminals with contracted delivery services. If it's going to a place without the Clean Power setup, then they'll have to have the additive added at the terminal. If it's going to a Clean Power station, then they likely order fuel without detergent additive. Around where I live, there's a lot of fuel truck activity near the Chevron Richmond refinery. I have the feeling that it's where most of the fuel sold in the area is refined. It's easy enough to share on paper with Shell, Valero, ConocoPhillips, etc. It's a big accounting exercise to trade fuel for their own branded customers, which saves the expense of having to pipe it when not absolutely needed.

While there are a lot of fuel terminals near refineries, I understand that most fuel is delivered to the terminals via pipelines. Here's a company that operates several terminals around California, including areas nowhere near any refineries.

http://www.generalpetroleum.com/facilities/

Originally Posted By: rhhsiao
Originally Posted By: badtlc

I think you mean a Costco Cash card. None of the pumps here in CA take actual cash. Also, since gasoline sold at Costco is regulated just like the gasoline from other stations, whatever is going into nearby stations is likely what Costco is dispensing save for brand-specific additives.

Basically with the Costco Cash (i.e. gift card) one wouldn't have to be a member. So a member could buy those on behalf of a friend and that friend could use that to get gas without a membership and without the member's card.

Originally Posted By: Tron1

Just an update. I went to the Richmond location again. They're still digging and they've set up temporary fences around the digging site. However, this time they put up a banner that says "COMING SOON, KIRKLAND CLEAN POWER". I don't know if maybe they've set up their additive delivery at the loading racks, but I don't know if it would make sense.

I thought the primary deal was that with Costco controlling the delivery of the detergent instead of it being done at the loading racks, they didn't have to pay someone else and could control costs better.

Correct. Generic gas, additive added at stations and remotely monitored. Hence the work required at stations.

Their testing showed that their detergent went beyond keep clean so this is a win for unsuspecting customers.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
if its not on the top tier list don't use it!!

What makes you think that? It's only a license. It's easily possible for a fuel marketer to meet the standard without paying the fee. Several of the Top Tier tested additives are sold to anyone and a fuel seller could buy it and treat at the same level without going for the Top Tier list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back