Costco members are some if the most highly educated consumers in the USA, but why is pumping their own fuel so foreign to most of them?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Costco members are some if the best educated consumers in the USA. Probably the retailer with the highest number of STEM customers.

But I have to ask, why do so many COSTCO members seem clueless everytime they pump their fuel at Costco?

It blows me away a group could be so well educated, very often STEMs from very good universities, but every time they pump fuel, it's like the first time they ever pumped fuel. And of course, they use Costco almost exclusively for their fuel, so it's not like it's a new station to them.

What are you talking about? What are you observing? I use Costco almost exclusively and don't see any signs of cluelessness among those pumping their gas.

Might the fact that many use two cards (a Costco membership card plus a credit card) to get the pumps to work have something to do with what you observe?

What are STEMs?

And where I live, you’re not allowed to pump it yourself. Go figure.
Not allowed?!?!

Some kind of environmental spill hazard cleanup area, perhaps? Wow.

I don’t think I’ve seen a full-service option in at least 20 years, let alone a place staffed sufficiently to even suggest the option of full serve!

I’m not waiting 20 minutes at gas station to save $2

I won't either, but if I drive by and the line is short I'll fill up, or drop the other half off to go inside and start shopping while I go to get gas.

GON is spot on though, people wait in line, get out and don't have their card ready. I know they have the hoses long enough to fill from either side, but this isn't the wisest choice so why not just get in line with the fuel filler on the proper side? A few weeks ago I watched a guy overflow his Camry by several gallons, completely oblivious, multiple people and the attendant were yelling for his attention. I had to drive through the gas to get out and my garage stunk like gas the next day.

Science, technology, engineering majors.
Actually, it's science, technology, engineering, and math (not "majors"). Not that your error substantially changes your statement of people at the pump.

I would like to challenge you and ask how this statement came into being;
"Costco members are some if the best educated consumers in the USA."
Is that your personal assessment? Was there an official study I missed somewhere? I've been in Costco, Sam's and other volume retailers. How does one make such a definitive statement about the education level of the general population at those locations?

What are you talking about? What are you observing? I use Costco almost exclusively and don't see any signs of cluelessness among those pumping their gas.

Might the fact that many use two cards (a Costco membership card plus a credit card) to get the pumps to work have something to do with what you observe?

What are STEMs?
Shel,

Is it possible you are subconsciously inspecting every pump for the Top-Tier certification sticker, that you are not seeing what the members are so clueless at?

What are STEMs?
Yeah, I don’t understand this thread either 🙃
I don’t see anything unusual at Costco, Sam’s Club or any other station.
I DO prefer Sam’s Club over Costco because it is the fastest system by far for me.
No membership card to scan and no credit card to insert.
I scan the QR code on the gas pump using the Sam’s Club app on my phone and less than five seconds (if that long) the pump is ready to go, just amazing.

Actually, it's science, technology, engineering, and math (not "majors"). Not that your error substantially changes your statement of people at the pump.

I would like to challenge you and ask how this statement came into being;

Is that your personal assessment? Was there an official study I missed somewhere? I've been in Costco, Sam's and other volume retailers. How does one make such a definitive statement about the education level of the general population at those locations?
Great question. I am a member of both Costco and Sams Club, and observations and life experience suggest they have a different foundation of customers.

Thanks for correcting my STEM definition- stay young my friend....

I have no statical data that validates COSTCO members are among the highest educated consumers on a MACRO level in the USA, but I would take a bet they are seven days a week. COSTCO members nail it in the store, are super-efficient and focused. These same members hit the fuel pumps, that they visit on a regular basis- and it is like they never pumped fuel before. Inside the store they operate like heroes, at the pump they operate like zeros.

I’m very seldom in a meeting that’s not 90% engineers - these are not the types being stereotyped here - those would typically wind up in R&D 😷 - mine have to support ongoing operations and are fairly street savvy …

I DO prefer Sam’s Club over Costco because it is the fastest system by far for me.
I scan the QR code on the gas pump using the Sam’s Club app on my phone and less than five seconds (if that long) the pump is ready to go, just amazing.
AG, are you semi-retired?

When I was 17 years old and pumping gas at an Exxon in South Florida in the early 1980s, I would have the retired folks sometimes come in daily for gas, check their oil, check their tires- just for something to do.

You are correct, the SAMs Club smartphone fuel option is awesome.

With the Costco Visa card, I just tap the card and away I go. No need to use the membership card. Probably no different WRT time compared to your routine. In any case, I'm never in such a hurry that a few seconds one way or another matters to me.

I just did a google search on the subject, seems to be a common observation. Lots of discussion on this subject on the internet.

Best comment by a COSTCO member:

My superpower is picking the Costco line that will take the longest every single time.
Another comment:
The last time my husband and I were in line at Costco for a gas pump, the guy in front of us decided to change out his wipers before he even started to pump gas. I thought my husband was going to have a stroke.
And a follow up to the wiper comment:
If your husband beat him to death with the old windshield wipers, a jury of his peers waiting in the gas line would never convict him.
Another comment (of many) on COSTCO members getting fuel:

I've complained about this for years. I see so many people pull up the pumps apparently having never gotten gas anywhere before in their lives.

They stare at the Pump like it's an alien invader for a few minutes reading instructions like they're trying to defuse a bomb, then finally go back to the car get their credit card, unaware there's no a little gnome inside the pump to giving away free gasoline.

Maybe this thread should be moved to the humor section......

Last edited:
Not allowed?!?!

Some kind of environmental spill hazard cleanup area, perhaps? Wow.

I don’t think I’ve seen a full-service option in at least 20 years, let alone a place staffed sufficiently to even suggest the option of full serve!
Oregon is the same way. An attendant must pump your gas. I think it's done to provide jobs, but I'm not 100% on that point.

BTW, pumping the gas is not full service, it's just pumping gas.

Full service would include cleaning the windshield, checking oil, and maybe even tires.
I pulled into a service station that offered and did most of those things in Idaho back in July.

Back