Costco "Clean Power" signs no longer posted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TedSexington
Lubrizol Ultra 9888

Does this tell us anything?

Pretty much what most people would expect from an MSDS. Doesn't say anything about what actually serves as a detergent. I know some who are convinced from reading an MSDS that the only thing that cleans is the solvents listed, even though they're only the carrier fluid for the actual detergent. The detergent itself isn't listed as it's not considered hazardous and most would consider it a trade secret.

Went to another location and they've got netting, a backhoe, and a lot of digging. Same sign as the other location on the construction site - saying that "Kirkland Clean Power" is coming with the same image of a nozzle that used to be on the pumps at the Clean Power equipped stations. So I guess the rollout is really happening in earnest.

Costco is now listed as a TOP TIER Gasoline Retailer: TOP TIER Retailers
grin2.gif

I guess their submission was already in works, and approval was contingent on completing the rollout.

I'd recently seen a lot of stations where there was a lot of digging along with "Coming Soon" signs, but I wasn't aware that the detergent metering equipment had been activated.

I see the signs again on the top of the pumps. The Fremont, CA location was down for about a week, although they already had the equipment. When I went in yesterday, they had shiny new Gilbarco pumps and new pavement.

I've seen different prices, and some stations were cheaper. I thought it had to do with not using their additive at that location.

I refueled at a recently expanded stationtoday, and the detergent signs were posted on top of the pumps.

But what I found more interesting was that the new pumps seem to actively prevent top offs.

I was trying to get the dollar amount to a round figure, and even though the tank wasn't close to full, after a few brief clicks on the handle, it wouldn't pump any more, even after removing and reinserting the nozzle. On the screen was a message about topping off.

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
I refueled at a recently expanded stationtoday, and the detergent signs were posted on top of the pumps.

But what I found more interesting was that the new pumps seem to actively prevent top offs.

I was trying to get the dollar amount to a round figure, and even though the tank wasn't close to full, after a few brief clicks on the handle, it wouldn't pump any more, even after removing and reinserting the nozzle. On the screen was a message about topping off.

I think it depends on the station. I was checking on GasBuddy for the prices at the Costco in Fremont, CA, and it disappeared for a couple of weeks. They had been on the CleanPower list since last year and I don't think anything changed. However, when they reopened, they had brand new Gilbarco pumps with large color displays and fresh pavement. I think these could have been what you experienced.

I filled up at another Costco yesterday, and that pump stopped prematurely. I knew there was at least 8 gallons to fill and it stopped just shy of 6. So I started it up again and it stopped past 9 gallons. That was an older pump with a monochrome display.

I'm also seeing the CleanPower signs at every Costco station I've been to in the last few weeks. I guess that might also have something to do with their Top Tier certification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back