Cost of Shaving

While wondering around the grocery yesterday, I looked at the cost of blades for some of the multi-bladed refills. Yikes! Now I am a cheapskate when it comes to shaving. I use twin blade cartridges that I buy online for 100/$11 or $0.11 apiece. The handle I got free back in the mid 1980s after a trip to Europe when I quit using my single blade injector razor so I have had it for about 34 years. I use a brush, mug and Williams soap. The mug I bought in North Carolina in 1997 or 24 years ago for $12. That works out to $12/8760 days or $0.00137/day. I buy Williams shaving soap for about $1/cake and get essentially 4 months from it or 120 days. That cost per day is $1/120 days or $0.00834/day. The blades get changed every month(call it 30 days) as I have a mustache and beard on my chin. That works out to $0.11/30 days or $0.00367/day. I have had the brush for MANY years and do not remember the cost but it is so old, the cost is buried in the fourth or fifth figures to the right of the decimal point.

So if I add up these three costs (blade, soap, mug), I get a total of $0.0134/day or just a bit over a penny per day. Interestingly, the highest cost is for the soap. For a year, the cost is $4.89 ($0.0134 x 365).

Anybody do it cheaper?

Shaving is one of those things that I want to do well more than I want to do inexpensively.
I have settled on the three blade razor that you think of first when you think of 3 blade razors.

Sometimes I'll pick up the knockoff brand at the local closeout store but I usually end up regretting it either because of razor burn in my neck or what I perceive to be shorter life than the name brand.

If you can do it for a penny then congratulations.
My money seems to be best spent on the middle of the road model.

Reactions: JC1
I'm so glad my facial hair grows slowly so I can use an electric shaver. In fact I have never used a razor to shave my face. So my cost is the shaver divided over however many years it lasts plus the electricity to charge it once a week.

I never costed it out as much as you have, but years ago I started using Harry's (back when you could only get them directly from them). I put it on auto ship with an interval I thought was reasonable for me. I found their blades lasted way longer than even my conservative estimate, so soon I had a stockpile of them and turned auto ship off. I shave 3-4x a week and each blade lasts me at least one month. I've probably got a year's supply of blades at the moment. Looking at their current cost ($1.88 per blade if you buy 16), it's still way higher than what you're paying. So, cheers to you!

I use a well known brand of razor in the disposable 2 blade 'Sensor' version. They're hard to find (as blades) these days. You can buy disposable Sensor plastic razors but they're obviously not the same thing.

When I shaved every day, each blade would last 6 months. I changed the blade on New Year's day and July 1. During recent times (which I won't name), I've been shaving twice a week so they may last longer. We'll see.

I've had my Sensor handle for at least 20 years. When my FIL died, my SIL threw out his Sensor handle. I would like to have kept that handle as a back up.

Never costed it out, to be honest. Someone gave me a triple edge Gillette setup years ago, and some blades, and I buy blades every 5 years? not sure--inherited some of them as family members died. I use them until I start getting razor burn, but I usually only shave once a week, WFH doesn't place much demands on my presentational needs at the moment...

Haven't used soap/foam in years. Hot shower, soak the skin a bit, then when I go to shave all I need is a bit of water. I have sensitive skin so I can only get a pass or two before I get any burn, but it's good enough.

Then again, I've had a beard for years so it's really just for touching up the neck. I'm guessing I'd go through blades a lot faster if I did a full shave.

I use a new double edged blade with a safety razor every shave and toss the blade when done. Cost, somewhere between 15 and 20 cents per blade.

Yes, the blade can be used for more than one shave, but at that price, why not start with a brand new blade each and every shave.

I've been using a double edge razor for years now. I use a Feather brand razor ($20) on amazon with Personna Platinum blades. Works well with my skin and the blades last a long time, inexpensive too!

BITOG was where I first learned out double edged safety razors. There are so many different choices for affordable shaving!
I got started by using the cheapo one advertised by the Pawn Star. Nearly bled to death! Double shave is better than top of line multi blades for me.

DE user here but I've gotten to the point where I had shaving when I'm cold so I tried using the 3-blade from Costco and shave in the shower. Boy was that a mistake because their razor-handle is incredibly fragile that breaks if you happen to drop it.

I did the Double Edge thing back in 2005-06. It took far too long to get an acceptable result each morning. Went back to carts for a great, fast shave. I rotate between the Sensor Excel, Mach 3, and Fusion. You can often get great deals on Amazon and I stock up when they have sales/coupons.

I use Harry's since they are about half the cost of Gillette and I like Harry's better. They last just as long so I've cut the expense in half. I get a month out of a $2.00 cartridge so if I spend $30.00 a year to shave, who can worry about that. I occasionally use an electric but the shave is not nearly as good. Tried an old-fashioned double edge blade a little while ago. Bled like a STUCK PIG and wasn't willing to try again. Tossed it right in the trash so I wouldn't be tempted later on.

Gillette anything never since that dopey ad campaign of a few years ago. I get by with anything else. Have had a beard since Elmo Zumwalt Navy days. I keep it short. Any good non Gillette disposable lasts a long time.

Back