Cost of Shaving

I use a well known brand of razor in the disposable 2 blade 'Sensor' version. They're hard to find (as blades) these days. You can buy disposable Sensor plastic razors but they're obviously not the same thing.

When I shaved every day, each blade would last 6 months. I changed the blade on New Year's day and July 1. During recent times (which I won't name), I've been shaving twice a week so they may last longer. We'll see.

I've had my Sensor handle for at least 20 years. When my FIL died, my SIL threw out his Sensor handle. I would like to have kept that handle as a back up.
Remember George Orwell’s book “1984”? Razor blades or lack thereof was a big deal.

0E6D0F20-38C6-4EF7-9BF6-F7A0D0B94BA2.jpeg

While wondering around the grocery yesterday, I looked at the cost of blades for some of the multi-bladed refills. Yikes! Now I am a cheapskate when it comes to shaving. I use twin blade cartridges that I buy online for 100/$11 or $0.11 apiece. The handle I got free back in the mid 1980s after a trip to Europe when I quit using my single blade injector razor so I have had it for about 34 years. I use a brush, mug and Williams soap. The mug I bought in North Carolina in 1997 or 24 years ago for $12. That works out to $12/8760 days or $0.00137/day. I buy Williams shaving soap for about $1/cake and get essentially 4 months from it or 120 days. That cost per day is $1/120 days or $0.00834/day. The blades get changed every month(call it 30 days) as I have a mustache and beard on my chin. That works out to $0.11/30 days or $0.00367/day. I have had the brush for MANY years and do not remember the cost but it is so old, the cost is buried in the fourth or fifth figures to the right of the decimal point.

So if I add up these three costs (blade, soap, mug), I get a total of $0.0134/day or just a bit over a penny per day. Interestingly, the highest cost is for the soap. For a year, the cost is $4.89 ($0.0134 x 365).

Anybody do it cheaper?

I shave once a week... so around 0.0019 a day?

Remember George Orwell’s book “1984”? Razor blades or lack thereof was a big deal.
I use a well known brand of razor in the disposable 2 blade 'Sensor' version. They're hard to find (as blades) these days. You can buy disposable Sensor plastic razors but they're obviously not the same thing.

When I shaved every day, each blade would last 6 months. I changed the blade on New Year's day and July 1. During recent times (which I won't name), I've been shaving twice a week so they may last longer. We'll see.

I've had my Sensor handle for at least 20 years. When my FIL died, my SIL threw out his Sensor handle. I would like to have kept that handle as a back up.
A true BITOG man. “Honey, you’re tying up the bathroom, I gotta go!” “Sorry honey, you know it’s July 1st, it’s blade changing day!”

Don't shave much anymore. Privilege of being an old curmudgeon. When I do, I poach a pink razor from one of the ladies bathrooms in the house. Use a dollop of their floral scented shave cream too. Annual shaving cost to me is zero.

1624898533156.jpg

Ha, I'll go the other way, I just use Gillette fusion razors. Every once in a while they're on sale so they're less than $2 a cartridge but I think in the stores they're like $4-$5 a cartridge. There were some cheap chinese knockoffs that you could get on Aliexpress and I tried those, but they weren't as sharp and didn't last as long.

Technically I could shave for free at the gym, they have free 2 blade razors and I do see some guys shave there. But the gym isn't free....

Ha, I'll go the other way, I just use Gillette fusion razors. Every once in a while they're on sale so they're less than $2 a cartridge but I think in the stores they're like $4-$5 a cartridge. There were some cheap chinese knockoffs that you could get on Aliexpress and I tried those, but they weren't as sharp and didn't last as long.

Technically I could shave for free at the gym, they have free 2 blade razors and I do see some guys shave there. But the gym isn't free....
Ohh I miss those days but about two years before "the Event" of 2020 my gym had to stop offering razors. Apparently some of the members from other countries didn't know that the razors were disposable and they would instead put them back after using them AND some members in general started stealing them.

Can anyone do better? ME! Beard oil is pretty inexpensive. I make my own. I have a Wahl trimmer for mustache trimming and keeping the beard off of my upper cheeks.

While wondering around the grocery yesterday, I looked at the cost of blades for some of the multi-bladed refills. Yikes! Now I am a cheapskate when it comes to shaving. I use twin blade cartridges that I buy online for 100/$11 or $0.11 apiece. The handle I got free back in the mid 1980s after a trip to Europe when I quit using my single blade injector razor so I have had it for about 34 years. I use a brush, mug and Williams soap. The mug I bought in North Carolina in 1997 or 24 years ago for $12. That works out to $12/8760 days or $0.00137/day. I buy Williams shaving soap for about $1/cake and get essentially 4 months from it or 120 days. That cost per day is $1/120 days or $0.00834/day. The blades get changed every month(call it 30 days) as I have a mustache and beard on my chin. That works out to $0.11/30 days or $0.00367/day. I have had the brush for MANY years and do not remember the cost but it is so old, the cost is buried in the fourth or fifth figures to the right of the decimal point.

So if I add up these three costs (blade, soap, mug), I get a total of $0.0134/day or just a bit over a penny per day. Interestingly, the highest cost is for the soap. For a year, the cost is $4.89 ($0.0134 x 365).

Anybody do it cheaper?

I do dollar shave club from a convenience and safety stand point. I'm bald so I shave my head and face at least twice per week. I was using Fusion 5's but would forget to buy them and say ah well, 1 more shave will be ok, then scalp myself causing me to bleed like a stuffed hog! I joined DSC probably 6+ years ago and use the 6 blade cartridges containing 4 razors. $9 for 4 razors and I can go about a month or more on a cartridge. Cutting my head is not worth the PITA, so I change them out probably more often than I should. I also use their shave butter. I order my stuff every 3 months to get the discount, so I'm guessing I am around $150 per year or about $0.40/day. Convenience has a price.

Just my $0.02

Ohh I miss those days but about two years before "the Event" of 2020 my gym had to stop offering razors. Apparently some of the members from other countries didn't know that the razors were disposable and they would instead put them back after using them AND some members in general started stealing them.
Well if you go back, they might be back. Will have to double check but I think it's all back including steam and sauna rooms. They always stole the amenities or used a lot. Gym also does free shampoo, soap, towels, etc, even Q-tips. I see people stealing the lotion once in a while, it's just hard to steal enough to break even on the membership, it's over $200 a month.

Well if you go back, they might be back. Will have to double check but I think it's all back including steam and sauna rooms. They always stole the amenities or used a lot. Gym also does free shampoo, soap, towels, etc, even Q-tips. I see people stealing the lotion once in a while, it's just hard to steal enough to break even on the membership, it's over $200 a month.
Ya they took them out permanently. People couldn't steal soaps and such because the gym used these large refillable dispensers.

Ya they took them out permanently. People couldn't steal soaps and such because the gym used these large refillable dispensers.
Oh yeah, they steal the lotion by pumping it into smaller bottles. I've only seen that a few times in the years I've been there though. I think they probably steal soap too, but that's in the showers so no one can see you stealing it.

Oh here's some cheap Fusion 5 cartidges from Aliexpress, less than $1 each if you get 20. I guess they're a gift now so when they're junk, you can't demand your money back.

I use Harry's since they are about half the cost of Gillette and I like Harry's better. They last just as long so I've cut the expense in half. I get a month out of a $2.00 cartridge so if I spend $30.00 a year to shave, who can worry about that. I occasionally use an electric but the shave is not nearly as good. Tried an old-fashioned double edge blade a little while ago. Bled like a STUCK PIG and wasn't willing to try again. Tossed it right in the trash so I wouldn't be tempted later on.
I get less nicks with a double. Some blades tend to nick depending on beard. Vanderhagen does that to me.

I use whatever disposable or cartridge razor I have. Cartridges are expensive but they last awhile especially the big packs. Then I use whatever shaving cream or gel that’s available usually Barbasol or Gillette or Edge. It’s fun to buy the stuff but expensive for sure sometimes.

I use whatever disposable or cartridge razor I have. Cartridges are expensive but they last awhile especially the big packs. Then I use whatever shaving cream or gel that’s available usually Barbasol or Gillette or Edge. It’s fun to buy the stuff but expensive for sure sometimes.
I don’t think you shaved in like 3 years 🙊

sorry, I’m kidding

I haven't really tracked how long a "Mach 3" refill blade lasts me. Atleast a month as I just trim around my beard or goatee. I guess that's still 10 cents a day though... Not very efficient, but I don't idle my car so I think I'm back to zero? ;)

Back