Favorite Brush for Wet Shaving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC1

Hi Guys,

Based on posts here last year about Razors and Safety Razors, I decided to make the switch to DE Safety razors.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4989820/1

Started with Dorco and Derby blades and ended up getting some Feather blades. What a difference in performance. I have a few 1932 Gillette Tech Razors and an older 1913 Gold Plated model as well as a few TTO (Twist to Open) made in England. Who would know that there are so many variations of razors out there. Merkur and Edwin Jagger as well. It seems that Razors are like Automobiles. USA, German and Japanese designs etc.

I've purchased various Safety Razors blades and soaps etc. I see there are many selections for shaving brushes, Boar Hair, Badger Hair, Horse Hair and synthetic. In shaving
Synthetic isn't as highly ranked as natural hairs for brushes.

What is your favorite brushes and why? I have a few cheap brushes (Under $20 Semouge and Omega). I see there are some really expensive brushes. Not sure if I want to spend more than $100 on a brush at this time, but looking to see if there are some great brushes under $100.

I still use a George Trumper natural bristle brush that's about 15 years old. I bought a backup brush on Amazon made by some Chinese outfit and it was very disappointing because the bristles flatten out. Amazon has a Proraso brand natural brush with a stainless steel base for $19. Italian shave company, but the brush could be Asian.

I stopped using brushes once I realized they are hard to sanitize. I was getting rashes/break outs.

Just applying the shaving soap (Proraso?) by hand has been more than adequate.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
I still use a George Trumper natural bristle brush that's about 15 years old. I bought a backup brush on Amazon made by some Chinese outfit and it was very disappointing because the bristles flatten out. Amazon has a Proraso brand natural brush with a stainless steel base for $19. Italian shave company, but the brush could be Asian.

Those Trumper brushes look nice. Guess I'll have to put it on my Xmas list. They aren't cheap.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
I stopped using brushes once I realized they are hard to sanitize. I was getting rashes/break outs.

Are you using the Proraso in the tube (like toothpaste) or the Tub?

Originally Posted by JC1
Hi Guys,

Based on posts here last year about Razors and Safety Razors, I decided to make the switch to DE Safety razors.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4989820/1

Started with Dorco and Derby blades and ended up getting some Feather blades. What a difference in performance. I have a few 1932 Gillette Tech Razors and an older 1913 Gold Plated model as well as a few TTO (Twist to Open) made in England. Who would know that there are so many variations of razors out there. Merkur and Edwin Jagger as well. It seems that Razors are like Automobiles. USA, German and Japanese designs etc.

I've purchased various Safety Razors blades and soaps etc. I see there are many selections for shaving brushes, Boar Hair, Badger Hair, Horse Hair and synthetic. In shaving
Synthetic isn't as highly ranked as natural hairs for brushes.

What is your favorite brushes and why? I have a few cheap brushes (Under $20 Semouge and Omega). I see there are some really expensive brushes. Not sure if I want to spend more than $100 on a brush at this time, but looking to see if there are some great brushes under $100.

I have tried both Derby and Feather. To be honest, I didn't see that much difference. Maybe I should try the Feather again.

Originally Posted by JC1

Those Trumper brushes look nice. Guess I'll have to put it on my Xmas list. They aren't cheap.

Tube based shaving cream, but I have a few bar type soaps that I lather up by hand and it works just as well.

The other thing I use now is a pre-shave before the soap goes on -- helps with razor irritation. (I got a free sample of it)

Originally Posted by JC1

Tube based shaving cream, but I have a few bar type soaps that I lather up by hand and it works just as well.

The other thing I use now is a pre-shave before the soap goes on -- helps with razor irritation. (I got a free sample of it)

Thanks, I was wondering if the pre shave cream is worth it. I'll have to pick some up.

Last edited:
I have been wet shaving for over ten years. Don't knock synthetic brushes until you have tried one. Had my share of boar and badger brushes. I get more pleasure out of inexpensive synthetic brushes than any other less headaches, less maintenance, less shedding and a tenth the cost or less. Synthetic knots have come a long way from the horrible nylon brushes of ten years ago.

Here is a reputable vendor. There are many others.

https://www.italianbarber.com/collections/brushes-vegan-synthetic/razorock

Originally Posted by philipp10

I have tried both Derby and Feather. To be honest, I didn't see that much difference. Maybe I should try the Feather again.

I guess it depends on your facial hair and razor. I thought the Derby was an ok blade. I find the feather cuts with less effort when shaving.

Originally Posted by deoxy4
I have been wet shaving for over ten years. Don't knock synthetic brushes until you have tried one. Had my share of boar and badger brushes. I get more pleasure out of inexpensive synthetic brushes than any other less headaches, less maintenance, less shedding and a tenth the cost or less. Synthetic knots have come a long way from the horrible nylon brushes of ten years ago.

Here is a reputable vendor. There are many others.

https://www.italianbarber.com/collections/brushes-vegan-synthetic/razorock

Thanks for the link I'm waiting on the Omega from Ebay. I will check out the Razo Rock brushes.

I use my Omega boar brush the most, as the stiff bristles seem to work best on harder soaps to generate a good lather. My badger brush gets used on the rare occasion that I use a cream.

I have a cheap Omega boar brush that I like. Nice firm bristles have a nice feel (to me) when applying the shave soap. I use the regular green tub of Proraso. I like the Feather blades, but in my Merkur razor they're a bit touchy on the face.

I have several Simpson brushes, but my most used is the Wee Scot. If you saw it, you'd think it's a toy, but it carries just the right amount of lather, handles the best, and easy to clean.

I used expensive 100% silvertip badger hair brushes in the past. They were nice, but hairs would eventually start falling out and they would smell bad, too. Eventually I just bought an inexpensive Omega synthetic brush and like it just fine. Most of the time, I don't even bother using a brush anymore.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I used expensive 100% silvertip badger hair brushes in the past. They were nice, but hairs would eventually start falling out and they would smell bad, too. Eventually I just bought an inexpensive Omega synthetic brush and like it just fine. Most of the time, I don't even bother using a brush anymore.

I've heard about the smelly brushes. Doesn't sound like something I would want to buy. From the looks of it the RazoRock synthetic brushes look like a good choice.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Originally Posted by JC1
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

I've heard about the smelly brushes. Doesn't sound like something I would want to buy. From the looks of it the RazoRock synthetic brushes look like a good choice.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Yaqui, Stirling, Fine, Maggard, Muhle are other inexpensive synthetic brushes in addition to Razor Rock. Decide what knot size and loft you are interested in and then find a handle that suits your hand. I think it is a good idea to rule out synthetic knots before opting for a $150 finest badger brush. They work for me.

I like Omega boar knots also. They require some break in but perform very well in short order. What I dislike about Omega brushes is their cheap handles. Omega brushes with a solid resin handle at $15-$20 would be a great value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back