Merkur 47C Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I returned the first 47C to Amazon from shipping damage.

The box was crushed and the handle was completely missing. The top rounded part and the safety bar were crushed together in offset holes. Didn't try to pull them apart.

Spoke to Amazon and I sent it back.

Received the new one last night, and oddly enough, the razor was in three pieces but not broken, and no chips taken out of the chrome finish. I inspected it really well and it is ok.

My only guess is that the workers at Amazon are instructed to take the razor apart so it doesnt get broken if shipped alone. It would make sense I guess, as it doesn't seem possible for it to unscrew itself in the box, so my guess is that is the intention as mine was shipped alone the second time in a bubble wrap envelope.

And they must have done the same thing on the first order where the handle was lost, but that order had a Omega brush with it, and was in one of those cardboard boxes that they fold for shipping books, and there was a gap in the bottom where the handle must have slid out of.

I shaved with it this morning, and the handle is the PERFECT size. My 33C handle is very thin and short, so the 47C is exactly what I was looking for.

It is very hard to judge a razor from pictures in regards to how they handle.

The handle is a bit slippery, so grab for a towel to dry your hands now and again, but the size still gives you control. The 33C doesn't have this issue, as it has very industrial deep knurling in the small handle that is very deep and functional.

This razor is a natural. Using Proraso Sandlewood soap in a bowl, I had a very quick double pass shave that produced the most irritation free shave I have had with a DE razor.

I think the 33C being so small you had to apply pressure, but the 47C with the large handle does absolutely all the work, but you can still give an amazing gentle touch.

Overall I give this razor a 10/10. Couldn't be happier.

I also love that it is a 3 piece (why I chose it over the barber pole or the HD) in that I can use the handle with any 3 piece head. The handle screws onto my 33C.

This is nice because this handle could be recycled if a head starts to flake off it's chrome, I can just buy a cheap 33C and screw it on as they both are pretty much the same head.

It is a strange feel to have a shave that produced no weepers and no irritation, even pushing against the grain with your fingers you hardly feel any hair in the pores. You just have extremely comfortable, relaxed baby-bottom smooth skin.

After rinsing the razor in hot water, I always dunk the head in baby oil to prevent hard water and soap wear on the chrome. Once the chrome flakes the razor doesn't survive long afterwards as it is only casted zinc underneath. So I feel this is a VERY important step in razor care. Also, it prevents hard deposit build up for easy cleaning when changing the blade. It is also always good to dunk the handle threads in baby oil during a blade change, to prevent chrome loss if you store the blade in the razor for 4-5 shaves and it stays assembled for 1+ weeks.

It prevents the razor blade from rusting and staining the weaker parts of the chrome plating as well, and keeps the razor blade sharp as the edge doesn't pit.

My next and final razor I plan to buy in a couple of years is a Stainless Steel model, such as a Weber, only they don't sell to Canada yet.

So if you have big hands, and especially if you are a beginner, the Merkur 47C is the best starter razor you can use. I have absolutely no negative comments to say about this razor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back