Cost of Shaving

I use whatever disposable or cartridge razor I have. Cartridges are expensive but they last awhile especially the big packs. Then I use whatever shaving cream or gel that’s available usually Barbasol or Gillette or Edge. It’s fun to buy the stuff but expensive for sure sometimes.
I figured you used a safety razor with no blade.

I use the Dollar shave club twin blades. I get a good 5-7 shaves from a blade. i've tried the bulk off brand twin blades, they pull the beard , not shave it, i can't use any of them.

I use the Dollar shave club twin blades. I get a good 5-7 shaves from a blade. i've tried the bulk off brand twin blades, they pull the beard , not shave it, i can't use any of them.

I used to buy these but the heads kept popping off so I switched.

Don't shave.

Have my beard trimmed when I have my hair cut.

For keeping my neck and cheeks under control I use my grandfather's old safety razor. Probably have enough blades with it that my son will be using them too.

Was all about Gillette Sensor for years, until they got too proud of them, and quality seemed to suffer simultaneously, so I switched to, and really like Schick Hydra 3. Of course, they're now trying to phase them out in favor of the Hydra 5, which I don't care for due to the huge head size. That's just too many blades. I have to clean up the shave with a cheapy double-blade afterward.

Have tried cheap disposables, and Harry's. They seem to dull in no time flat, while a Hydra 3 will last a month or more. But they're far from cheap. Won't be approaching OP's shave budget numbers anytime soon.

While wondering around the grocery yesterday, I looked at the cost of blades for some of the multi-bladed refills. Yikes! Now I am a cheapskate when it comes to shaving. I use twin blade cartridges that I buy online for 100/$11 or $0.11 apiece. The handle I got free back in the mid 1980s after a trip to Europe when I quit using my single blade injector razor so I have had it for about 34 years. I use a brush, mug and Williams soap. The mug I bought in North Carolina in 1997 or 24 years ago for $12. That works out to $12/8760 days or $0.00137/day. I buy Williams shaving soap for about $1/cake and get essentially 4 months from it or 120 days. That cost per day is $1/120 days or $0.00834/day. The blades get changed every month(call it 30 days) as I have a mustache and beard on my chin. That works out to $0.11/30 days or $0.00367/day. I have had the brush for MANY years and do not remember the cost but it is so old, the cost is buried in the fourth or fifth figures to the right of the decimal point.

So if I add up these three costs (blade, soap, mug), I get a total of $0.0134/day or just a bit over a penny per day. Interestingly, the highest cost is for the soap. For a year, the cost is $4.89 ($0.0134 x 365).

Anybody do it cheaper?
Thats why I use a double edge razor. I use an '80 Gillette Super Speed and Personna Lab Blue blades. I use nicer soap than Williams. I use Stirling for soap. I'll gladly pay a bit more for soap to have something with a scent that I like and better performance than Williams. I'll gladly spend the $20 a year for 2 tubs of Stirling soap.

I shave in the shower with a cheap disposable twin razor.

25 cents per month.

Similar experience here. In the shower with a cheap replaceable head triple razor. Bought a 20 pack of Equate replaceable heads on clearance months ago. Shampoo is the only 'shaving cream' ever used.

Cheap. And as smooth as my avatar. 🪒

I've switched to DE safety razors maybe 4 years ago after reading about the post here.

I personally was tired of the ridiculous costs of those blades. Not interested in spending $50+ at Costco on the Gillette rip off.

At first I didn't know what a good razor is. Bought some cheap razors off Amazon.

Then I found out about Italianbarber.com here on bitog as well. I'm using a Razorock CNC razor (mamba 70). There are so many options with soap as well. You can become a shave supply hoarder, just like being a oil hoarder if you aren't careful.

I never costed out the price per shave, it's something I enjoy when using quality products on my face. Safety razors take three passes to get a BBS (baby bottom smooth) result.

Double edge with Feather blades. I use a Gillette Tech from probably the 50s that belonged to my grandfather, so didn't cost me anything.

Feather blades run $20 for 50-they're at the higher end of DE blades, but IMO are worth it. I generally use them for about a week(shaving 5-6 days a week). The first shave from one isn't great, but the next 4-5 are really good. I could use them a lot longer, but I find that they tend to get a bit too "grabby" for my taste even though they're still a lot better than I use to let my ($$$) cartridge blades get. That makes them about 8¢ a day to use. 50 blades lasts me roughly 1 year.

I use to use Derby blades and still use them on occasion, but they are strictly a 3-shave blade for me(maybe 4 in a pinch, but I don't like to push it). The first from one tends to be a lot better than the first shave from a Feather, but I can feel them going downhill even on the second. The last I bought were $15 for 200, which makes them about .25¢ a day used for 3 days.

Both of those blades are cheap enough that I'd rather use the better one, even though they're 32x the cost.

On the other end of things, though, I continue to be happy with Barbasol. For a long time a 10 oz. can that was $1 was good for 3 months. Now the 7 oz. can lasts me about 2 months and is $1.30.

All said and done, I spend about $30/year on shaving. I could spend even less, but that's such a small amount that I don't desire to make it less expensive.

Reactions: JC1
Double edge with Feather blades. I use a Gillette Tech from probably the 50s that belonged to my grandfather, so didn't cost me anything.

Feather blades run $20 for 50-they're at the higher end of DE blades, but IMO are worth it. I generally use them for about a week(shaving 5-6 days a week). The first shave from one isn't great, but the next 4-5 are really good. I could use them a lot longer, but I find that they tend to get a bit too "grabby" for my taste even though they're still a lot better than I use to let my ($$$) cartridge blades get. That makes them about 8¢ a day to use. 50 blades lasts me roughly 1 year.

I use to use Derby blades and still use them on occasion, but they are strictly a 3-shave blade for me(maybe 4 in a pinch, but I don't like to push it). The first from one tends to be a lot better than the first shave from a Feather, but I can feel them going downhill even on the second. The last I bought were $15 for 200, which makes them about .25¢ a day used for 3 days.

Both of those blades are cheap enough that I'd rather use the better one, even though they're 32x the cost.

On the other end of things, though, I continue to be happy with Barbasol. For a long time a 10 oz. can that was $1 was good for 3 months. Now the 7 oz. can lasts me about 2 months and is $1.30.

All said and done, I spend about $30/year on shaving. I could spend even less, but that's such a small amount that I don't desire to make it less expensive.
Those feather blades are super sharp. I bought a few to try and I only use them when I'm fully awake. I find that they produce more chances to cut myself.

Gillette Nacet are nice blades as well. I have some Derby's and Dorcos left over. I have enough blades for three more years of shaves of I change the blade once a week.

Back