Cost of Natural Gas refrigerator versus Electricity?

I'm not talking about initial cost. I am talking running costs. I can't seem to pin this answer down on the interwebs.

Correct me if I am wrong but a natural gas refrigerator cost twice as much as an electric one. Where are they in use? I have never seen one. A new electric fridge uses about 350 kwhr per year. Plug in your price per kwhr and get a cost. It's very small.

Last edited:
The absorption cycle is not particularly efficient in real world terms. The maximum theoretical Carnot COP (coefficient of performance) can be excellent, but real world results don't mirror theory. Expect a 1 to 1 result. The amount of heat you put in tends to mirror the amount of heat you remove.

Today's electrically driven Vapor cycle systems have a real world COP of 3 to 1. However generating grid power is at best 54% efficient (at a combined cycle power plant's fence), then some other losses introduce themselves. Best case possible, just under 50%. Leading to a COP of 1.5.

All that to say, the cost of electricity in your area and the cost of NG or Propane will matter immensely, as the energy consumed with either method is not all that different.

The big issue is that an electrically powered fridge makes it really easy to manage temperatures with a high degree of accuracy.

I have a less than one year old, 18 cubic foot Whirlpool that is a complete piece of rubbish.

That said, it uses 100 watts of electricity when it runs. There's some information for you.

I pay 27 cents for a 1000 British therms. My electricity price has an initial cost of about 5.5 cents for the first kilowatt hours and raises to more than twice that at given thresholds. I am actually talking about a hybrid refrigerator that has an inside light/ice maker etc but uses natural gas as its method to cool versus the standard electric refrigerator. Given those scenarios, which method is cheaper over a years time? I am talking about replacing a modern electric refrigerator.

Correct me if I am wrong but a natural gas refrigerator cost twice as much as an electric one. Where are they in use? I have never seen one. A new electric fridge uses about 350 kwhr per year. Plug in your price per kwhr and get a cost. It's very small.
I have seen them or maybe propane, at an Amish grocery store in Lancaster County.

I'd think energy reliability is a factor, if you have a power outage over 24 hours you'll lose your freezer / fridge.

I cant recall nat gas going out in the last 25 years i've had it.

Curious to see how this thread plays out,

Im looking at a new Sunfrost ultra high efficiency unit myself, but am drooling over a glass doored monster.

I pay 27 cents for a 1000 British therms. My electricity price has an initial cost of about 5.5 cents for the first kilowatt hours and raises to more than twice that at given thresholds. I am actually talking about a hybrid refrigerator that has an inside light/ice maker etc but uses natural gas as its method to cool versus the standard electric refrigerator. Given those scenarios, which method is cheaper over a years time? I am talking about replacing a modern electric refrigerator.
Do you mean per cubic foot? 27 cents per 1 cubic foot is no bargain. That's 27 cents for just a touch over 1000 BTU.

Note: A natural gas therm is equal to 100,000 Btu. A therm is going for about $3 in some locations today.

By way of comparison, 1kwh of electrical power is 3413 BTU at 1 COP (resistance heater) and about 10,000 BTU at a COP of 3.0 (heat pump)

If I were to guess, I'd say electric will be cheaper. As NG prices are set to soar.

Last edited:
Reactions: GON
Didn't know that NG refrigerators were even a thing....

Googling doesn't turn up much and it doesn't look like the big-box stores carry them.

I would think the payback time would be very long. I’m not familiar with this type of refrigerator. Does it use any electricity?

Also, if it needed repairs parts plus someone knowledgeable to do the job might be scarce.

There are some very efficient refrigerators out there if you go by the yellow energy ratings cards.

Didn't know that NG refrigerators were even a thing....

Googling doesn't turn up much and it doesn't look like the big-box stores carry them.

“Gas Powered” Refrigerators are the oldest type and have been in every RV I’ve ever seen, to covert a propane unit to ng is trivial.

Generally you can (with some work) find out the amount of natural gas a unit uses annually so you can compare based on cost.

In a northern partially off grid scenario a gas fridge is usually a no brainer , in a place like Wisconsin they are typically about half the price to operate due to the very low gas cost.

If you ignore the cost of equipment, in Wisconsin you can generate electricity using ng at a lower costs at per kwhr than on grid due to the monthly $50 of fixed fees/taxes and relatively high cost per kwhr compared to gas.

In a combined cycle situation there is literally no case for grid power in Wisconsin (besides reliability)

27 cents per therm is my locked in rate. It is less now than it was a decade ago. I have been paying between 20 and 35 cents a therm for a long time. The last few years I have been utilizing the two year locked rate. Locally we choose between a half dozen providers who are supposed to compete. Their prices are remarkably similar though.
I so prefer my gas appliances over electric appliance I was left wondering about gas refrigerators.

Here is the last bill. It will drop to about $25 bucks in July. My forced air furnace/auxilliary heater in the basement (30,000 BTU)/water heater/stove are all natural gas. I am waiting for my dryer to die to replace it with gas also.

RESIDENTIAL - RGS CHOICE (WY102) Meter Number: SG519044 Reading 01/07/21 1397 Reading 12/07/20 1181 31 days 216 Hundred Cubic Feet (CCF) x 0.84590 Gas Pressure Factor x 1.0238 BTU Factor 187 Total Billable Therms Your average daily usage was 6.03 Therms Billing Details for 12/07/20 - 12/31/20, 24 days. Customer Charge $15.85 Volumetric Chg 145 Therms @ $0.2664 $38.57 TRA Charge 144.77 Therms @ $0.0031 $0.45 Revenue Adjm Mech 144.77 Therms @ -$0.0028 -$0.41 EE Surcharge 144.77 Therms @ $0.0012 $0.17 TCJA 144.77 Therms @ -$0.004 -$0.58 Vista Energy Marketing $0.00 Commodity Charge 187 Therms @ $0.267 $38.65 Franchise Fee 144.77 Therms @ $0.0225 $3.26 Billing Details for 01/01/21 - 01/07/21, 7 days. Customer Charge $4.63 Volumetric Chg 42 Therms @ $0.2664 $11.25 TRA Charge 42.23 Therms @ $0.0031 $0.13 Revenue Adjm Mech 42.23 Therms @ -$0.0028 -$0.12 EE Surcharge 42.23 Therms @ $0.0012 $0.05 WY Integrity Rider 42.23 Therms @ $0.0069 $0.29 TCJA 42.23 Therms @ -$0.004 -$0.17 Vista Energy Marketing $0.00 Commodity Charge 187 Therms @ $0.267 $11.27 Franchise Fee 42.23 Therms @ $0.0225 $0.95 County Sales Tax $124.24 @ 1% $1.24 State Sales Tax $124.24 @ 4% $4.97 Total Charge this Service $130.45

It looks like you end up paying 90 cents per therm after the fees, a very normal price. NG pricing varies widely, and some futures are showing over $3 per therm now.

You will probably not save money using NG to run a fridge. It's good to note that electrical power has been more stable than fuel prices.

Also, I completely agree about the benefits of gas. Cooking with gas is of course, wonderful (as long as your burners have sufficient BTU) and maybe more importantly, temp changes are instant, none of this waiting minutes for temps to decrease as the soup burns.... Same with gas powered forced hot air heat. It's wonderfully warm and fast when needed.

My PA house has an undersized furnace and hot water baseboard heat that is very poorly configured. It cannot keep the house warm enough on the coldest of nights, and strangely, the return water is about as hot as the discharge water. I must use the heat pump at night, which of course, struggles when temps get down to 10 or so. Then the electrical resistance heater kicks on, finally producing that warm blast of air.

A nice gas system eliminates all those issues.

the little LP fridge in my camper uses 1300btu for cooling, takes a good 6hrs to get down to normal fridge temp and duty cycle on the burner varies wildly with outdoor temp and how often you open the door, might be 100% one day and 30% the next, standing pilot is always lit. Your newish fridge should use less than 1kw per day if you aren't leaving the door open all the time. If it's a decent fridge it uses less than $60/yr at $0.11/kw. For comparison a NG fridge will use around $35/yr in gas assuming a 30% duty cycle on the burner, in reality it'll probably be a wash overall in running cost.
For an appliance that is likely to last less than 10 years I'd go with an electric model all day every day, cheaper to purchase, cheaper to install, cheaper to replace, widely available, relatively easy to fix the common problems.

Gas fridge, very expensive to purchase/replace, expensive to install (need a gas line), very expensive to repair ($1100-3500 for a chiller unit vs $350 for a compressor), hard to find, definitely not going to get one at home depot or menards.

Oil fridge, now things are muddier.

Wood fridge for those so inclined DIYers....

Back