Cost of a new central air system

Skilled Trades have been swindling people out of a lot of money post-covid. My company does it everyday. Part of the game. Everyone is doing it.

Really?

“Part of the game. Everyone is doing it.”

So, that makes slimeball rip-off artists okay because “everyone is doing it?
Stealing from people is a game?

Oh, wait; Oregon. Now I understand.

Really?

Correct. Get with the program. You get fleeced by realty, car dealers, hospitals, etc. Start fleecing yourself if you want to survive.

Really?

Two things about my career is I’ve never been a clock watcher as there aren’t enough hours in a day, and I don’t believe I’ve ever been dishonest. The downside? Seems one has to work many more years and cannot retire this way! 😆

Correct. Get with the program. You get fleeced by realty, car dealers, hospitals, etc. Start fleecing yourself if you want to survive.

No, thanks!

I'm far from perfect but I'd rather live with a degree of ethics and morals than believe life's a game of "rip everyone off that you meet and/or deal with before they rip you off"

What a way to live your life.

My units were installed two weeks ago. Ducane, which is supposedly a segment from Trane or something.

Not super thrilled with the upstairs performed, feels a lot like my last system (not enough air flow). Talked to the HVAC guy as he was finishing...said, hey, this is not blowing much out of the vents - he was in a rush to get out of there - and he said, it’s probably your duct work, they use a lot flex tubing up in the attic, and you have long runs to each side of your house. Well, that’s great, I just spent $14,000 for the two units (one for the first floor and the other in the attic). The attic uses dampeners - I may remove them to see if the airflow increases, or install a booster fan. Not super thrilled.
Did they do a Manual J/D? When my units were replaced they did a Manual J/D to check load and duct sizing and they made a few changes even though the old system had no major issues with cooling. Unit works great with short cycling and it can maintain 68F when it’s 92F outside.

None of the other companies were going to do a calculation - they simply asked if there were any hot zones or issues.

No, thanks!

I'm far from perfect but I'd rather live with a degree of ethics and morals than believe life's a game of "rip everyone off that you meet and/or deal with before they rip you off"

I could probably increase my income another 6-figures simply doing small but unethical things I see others doing every day. Things no one would notice with very little risk of getting caught.

No thanks, I don’t need more things to think about when I wake up at 3am which are usually honest mistakes or things I would’ve done differently in hindsight.

No, thanks!

I’ve called this the stolen ski pole conundrum throughout my life. I’m talking 80’s and early 90’s. My theory is if someone takes another person’s ski poles, on purpose, or by mistake, it sets off a chain reaction of theft. Even back then poles could be $100+. So when someone finds their poles gone, they take someone else’s. And on it goes until someone says wth I guess I’m out $100. I’ll just have to buy new poles.

All the skiers in between believe in the fleece da 1 ur wit mantra

Maybe buy a couple window units to use until fall and then get some AC system quotes... Them having no leverage may help keep things realistic...
A window unit keeps our house at a good RH and reasonable temperature, but we just happen to have a good layout for it.

I guess it’s been about seven years ago when I replaced mine. Had the entire thing gutted, and put in a new TRANE variable speed, integrated Clean Affects filtration, Air Scrubber, new ducting, with digital thermostat controller. At the time it was $12k and it dramatically improved my comfort. I can barely hear the darn thing kick on or run because everything was very well shock mounted, and the variable/shoft start-up means there’s no hammer like’ power surge. They had a no interest special, so it was hard to pass up despite the huge dent it put in my budget. Notwithstanding, they did try to do a bait and switch, but I was on to them. 🤨

Last edited:
I guess it’s been about seven years ago when I replaced mine. Had the entire thing gutted, and put in a new TRANE variable speed, integrated Clean Affects filtration, Air Scrubber, new ducting, with digital thermostat controller. At the time it was $12k and it dramatically improved my comfort. I can barely hear the darn thing kick on or run because everything was very well shock mounted, and the variable/shoft start-up means there’s no hammer like’ power surge. They had a no interest special, so it was hard to pass up despite the huge dent it put in my budget. Notwithstanding, they did try to do a bait and switch, but I was on to them. 🤨
My experience is the opposite where I wanted a TRANE XV (variable) and all but one wouldn’t sell it to me. They said it’s for when you have separate condensers for upstairs and downstairs. So still single stage XL16i….also 0% equal payments 60 months. There has to be some cost to the contractor as one of the quotes was 0% 24 mos only

Thankfully ours was July 2020. Prices have shot up

I could probably increase my income another 6-figures simply doing small but unethical things I see others doing every day. Things no one would notice with very little risk of getting caught.

No thanks, I don’t need more things to think about when I wake up at 3am which are usually honest mistakes or things I would’ve done differently in hindsight.
I’m talking within good measure. Obviously at some point you price yourself out of the market. But don’t be ashamed to charge premium prices in a premium economy.

I’m talking within good measure. Obviously at some point you price yourself out of the market. But don’t be ashamed to charge premium prices in a premium economy.
I’m sure we mean ethics…I saw my dr and all he did was look at what the nurse entered…5 min and insurance paid out $93, they billed $210.

My Dr is an employee of a large health plan in Phila. Nothing wrong with the above. Nurses in the past stated he needs to see a patient every 8 min.

What would be unethical. I was looking at claim history last year and my wife was treated for depression and alcohol. I asked her and she had no such services. Last year was Meritain which is Aetna. I have tried in the past to report such activity and Aetna didn’t care. Appeals are usually to pay things that were denied, not to deny things already paid.

I'm not talking about price - my prices are in the 90th percentile for my area. I'm talking about doing things people do not need or are of absolutely no benefit.

Did they do a Manual J/D? When my units were replaced they did a Manual J/D to check load and duct sizing and they made a few changes even though the old system had no major issues with cooling. Unit works great with short cycling and it can maintain 68F when it’s 92F outside.

None of the other companies were going to do a calculation - they simply asked if there were any hot zones or issues.
They didn’t do anything but change out the existing units, I made it pretty clear that the top floor could not keep temp, and airflow wasn’t good. The guy blamed the ductwork when he finished (because the air flow was the same). Said there was too much flexible duct work, and that was causing it. The main ducts are 14 inch, with dampers splitting the two sides of the house. The left damper appears to be stuck open. I just received the replacement damper, installing it tomorrow. Wish me luck - I’m going to power it up and see if it works before I plumb it into the duct work. If I get no movement out of the damper after installing the two connecting wires, I’ll assume it’s a mother board unit issue. And I’m throwing in the towel. The top floor of my house is probably 2,500 square feet.

Just an update. 14” round Honeywell automatic damper came in yesterday, installed it today. Before I plumbed it into the ductwork i connected the two wires to it an activated the AC system...surprisingly it did open and close like it was designed to do. Removed the old damper - the damper door was binding and not returning to the open position - and installed the new damper. Pain in the butt to get this thing in...took some hammering with a rubber mallet and some fluid film to lubricate things up a little bit. Didnt get it snug as much as I’d like on one end, and had to tape it for now (And installed some set screws). I also tried to wrap the installation around the pile as begat I could. I’ll revisit in a couple days and go up there with some insulation tape, etc, as I see if this damper did the trick. I may install some sort of clamping collar around the end that didn’t snap together as well as I’d like.

Hopefully this is the end of my central air journey (although I may attempt to change out the other damper in the fall when it’s cooler up there).

They didn’t do anything but change out the existing units, I made it pretty clear that the top floor could not keep temp, and airflow wasn’t good. The guy blamed the ductwork when he finished (because the air flow was the same). Said there was too much flexible duct work, and that was causing it. The main ducts are 14 inch, with dampers splitting the two sides of the house. The left damper appears to be stuck open. I just received the replacement damper, installing it tomorrow. Wish me luck - I’m going to power it up and see if it works before I plumb it into the duct work. If I get no movement out of the damper after installing the two connecting wires, I’ll assume it’s a mother board unit issue. And I’m throwing in the towel. The top floor of my house is probably 2,500 square feet.

Flex is almost always installed improperly because companies try to save money by not using elbows and letting the flex sag. Ideally, more expensive, hard pipe would be used for main lines with flex branching to individual rooms in order to reduce noise transmission but that requires planning at the design stage and good luck with that on anything but a custom build.

Flex is almost always installed improperly because companies try to save money by not using elbows and letting the flex sag. Ideally, more expensive, hard pipe would be used for main lines with flex branching to individual rooms in order to reduce noise transmission but that requires planning at the design stage and good luck with that on anything but a custom build.
I’ll try to tackle the ductwork next summer. I did visually inspect the flex ducts for leaks/binds/etc, but I didn’t notice anything. There are some tight bends where they connect to the actual registers.

No, thanks!

+1.
I have enough to answer for when my time comes, I don't need to add being a dirtbag.

This is exactly the design of my system. Large main duct down the middle of the attic with flex coming off each side in the shortest runs possible and as straight as possible. It works well with good even airflow to all rooms.

Back