Cost for full brake job?

I have always told my kids that if you want me to do the job, you are going to help or at least stay out there with me and learn something. Now my fiancé's son sounds like your nephew. He rarely has ever helped me work on his car and until recently, was never appreciative on anything I did on it. For a while I refused to work on it at all. These days I just do it to help her out so she doesn't have to spend the extra money to get it done. He now at least thanks me for working on it.
These little bastards are really good at two things: Guilting parents or others to feel bad and get help, and not appreciating a **** thing that people do for them. They just expect it, like its normal for you to go out of your way like that.

FYI: I forgot.. The next day after I did his brakes he totalled it. I brought him Honda pads, high quality bendix rotors, and two rebuilt calipers. I did the calipers because I knew two things.. I did not want to tear back in there for anything, so I paid $40 as a form of insurance. And, if one of the calipers was hanging up he would absolutely never no, and when he needed new brakes again, my name would be tossed around by him and his mother. Both ungrateful. He's a good kid though.

Reactions: D60
So my wife’s friend had the shimmy associated with warped rotors and took it to a shop, they quoted $2,000 for a ”full brake job” I bought all new pads, rotors, and drums and did a brake bleed, it’s a Nissan versa so nothing fancy. Did it for a bit over $200. Is such a high charge the norm for a full brake job or were they just trying to scam a lady who knows nothing about cars out of a lot of money? The brakes are working great now so I cant imagine what else they wanted to do.
200-250 per axle Toyota Camry. Dealers in Dallas. New pads and resurface rotors. Try to catch a dealer special.

These little bastards are really good at two things: Guilting parents or others to feel bad and get help, and not appreciating a **** thing that people do for them. They just expect it, like its normal for you to go out of your way like that.

FYI: I forgot.. The next day after I did his brakes he totalled it. I brought him Honda pads, high quality bendix rotors, and two rebuilt calipers. I did the calipers because I knew two things.. I did not want to tear back in there for anything, so I paid $40 as a form of insurance. And, if one of the calipers was hanging up he would absolutely never no, and when he needed new brakes again, my name would be tossed around by him and his mother. Both ungrateful. He's a good kid though.
Yep, I have low tolerance for kids who think they are entitled and expect everything to be handed to them. Sadly it seems like we have a whole generation of these types of kids.

I have not had any work done in a while yet my best friend has, shop supplies, disposal of this or that taxes on parts and labor etc etc

Yep, I have low tolerance for kids who think they are entitled and expect everything to be handed to them. Sadly it seems like we have a whole generation of these types of kids.
Yep, and I find their parents are usually just as bad which makes sense.

Thought I would post in this thread since my sister had the local VW dealer in MA scan her CEL (EVAP code) and they also recommended front brake pads and rotors... to the tune of $2000. :LOL:

You have to consider there is considerable mark up on parts used by dealers and indys compared to low cost parts found internet searching

Now a shop could have been burned many times by come backs and vehicles needing more parts a day or 2 later and them being nice and eating them. Now they just quote everything they have seen go bad on vehicles to feel it’s done correctly when it leaves

Nothing like a caliper retrActing doing a brake job today, and a week later it fails. Of course the finger will be pointed at the shop. If it happened to a DIY they just figure it’s coincidental and repair and move on

It’s all risk management like any business. Like what’s the best repair to make sure the customer leaves and gets the best performance and longevity from the repair.

Most of these repairs can be negotiated to what’s the minimum he/she needs to replace the pads and rotors.

Heck I had a gen 1 explorer back in the day that took $10 napa brake pads. They wouldn’t last worth a crap and had no warranty but they were 10 bucks to throw on a new set

We are now dealing with and seeing oem part applications than can have 500 dollar range retail brake pads. Add in a couple 200 dollar each retail rotors and it’s pricey quick

Back