Corvettes

MolaKule

Staff member
Having been a resident of both Flint Mi and St. Louis, I was not aware of this.

Apparently in 1953 the Corvette plant was moved from Flint to St. Louis.
Corvettes in St. Louis.jpg

In the early 50's the US government was afraid USSR was going to bomb Detroit, given that Detroit affectively won WW2. So somehow the US government incentivized the big 3 to put plants dispersed all over the country, so that if they needed to convert to make tanks and planes they wouldn't be in one location. If you look up plants like GM St. Louis (above), GM and Ford in Atlanta, Ford in Minneapolis, etc - you will find that they were built at the start of the cold war, and often mothballed not too long after.

In the early 50's the US government was afraid USSR was going to bomb Detroit, given that Detroit affectively won WW2. So somehow the US government incentivized the big 3 to put plants dispersed all over the country, so that if they needed to convert to make tanks and planes they wouldn't be in one location. If you look up plants like GM St. Louis (above), GM and Ford in Atlanta, Ford in Minneapolis, etc - you will find that they were built at the start of the cold war, and often mothballed not too long after.

I don't know about the others that you mentioned, but the Minneapolis Ford plant opened in 1914 according to what I was just able to look up, and it closed around the time Ford built a new plant in St. Paul in 1925 (which operated until 2011), so I don't think they had anything to do with WW2.

It is interesting about the Corvette factories. I don't know much about them. I assumed they had always been made in Bowling Green KY, but apparently that didn't start until 1981.

I don't know about the others that you mentioned, but the Minneapolis Ford plant opened in 1914 according to what I was just able to look up, and it closed around the time Ford built a new plant in St. Paul in 1925 (which operated until 2011), so I don't think they had anything to do with WW2.

It is interesting about the Corvette factories. I don't know much about them. I assumed they had always been made in Bowling Green KY, but apparently that didn't start until 1981.
Possibly Minneapolis was not one that was incentivized, although many were. I think they were making glass there until it was modernized in the 50's.

"During the 1950s, the Eisenhower administration used the provisions of the DPAto continue preparing the United States for a global war with communism by increasingthe size of the national stockpile, funding exploration for metals and minerals, and supporting the dispersion of industry across the United States."

It's a real shame that most Americans today cannot afford anything in the Corvette lineup.
It's also a shame that no one dresses as spiffy as the factory worker in the photo, for example people shopping in pajamas. I guess the standards were higher in the factory at the time, who got rid of the uniforms? It appears now you can go to work in an Iron Maiden shirt and smell like a burrito.

It's also a shame that no one dresses as spiffy as the factory worker in the photo, for example people shopping in pajamas. I guess the standards were higher in the factory at the time, who got rid of the uniforms? It appears now you can go to work in an Iron Maiden shirt and smell like a burrito.
Hey, leave me alone! That's me after lunch every day.
:LOL:

It's a real shame that most Americans today cannot afford anything in the Corvette lineup.
I see your point, but the Corvette has always been a tough choice, being a 2 seater and higher cost Chevrolet.
I've had 4. No one needs a Corvette, same as lotsa cars.
But yeah, there are a very few available locally, starting at $85K, but you likely won't get it for that... And way up from there.

Last edited:
Just one? I kinda want 2 houses. One to live in, and one to rent out. The rent money will pay for the home loans and eventually maybe a Corvette.
The cost of a Vette - which is almost always an extra car - would make a very good down payment …

Just one? I kinda want 2 houses. One to live in, and one to rent out. The rent money will pay for the home loans and eventually maybe a Corvette.
Cars are depreciating assets. Pay off the houses and then buy the Vette. For cash. Go big or go home.
Another option is to marry up. Don't ask me how I know...

Well I don't have to go to work anymore... but I know what I'm wearing and eating tomorrow.

🤘🌯

Back