Corvette passengers survive 126mph head on crash!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the rear end of another car is a pretty soft energy absorber compared to the front end of a car. Almost all the crash testing involves making the front of the vehicle stronger while I don't see much on improving the rear crash protection. 120mph is still very fast though and I guess he was still "lucky" to survive it.
Our Tahoe was rear ended low speed and by lighter vehicle - $9k with +/- 1/3 being R+SRS (OEM)

well it wasn't 'head on', he rammed the back of a vehicle with similar weight to his own, heading in the same direction.
He goes into the back of a 5,400lb Tahoe or Silverado at that speed, he goes under the rear bumper & different outcome,
he submarines & gets to pay with his life. Air bags or no airbags.

He went from rich to totally screwed overnight. Minimum of vehicular manslaughter. He will be sued for everything he has by the family of the decrssed. If he wanted to go fast in a car like that, he's certainly rich enough to take it to a track.

We get into fights (with sober people) over dumb stuff like masks - how hard could it be for the public to prevent a drunk from driving?

He went from rich to totally screwed overnight. Minimum of vehicular manslaughter. He will be sued for everything he has by the family of the decrssed. If he wanted to go fast in a car like that, he's certainly rich enough to take it to a track.
If he had listened to former Vikings Cris Carter speech to incoming rookies a couple of years ago, he would have had his girlfriend take the blame and say she was driving. That was literally what Carter told these guys; if you're going to drink and drive, make sure you have a "fallguy". Maybe next time the speech should talk about NOT drinking and driving or if you must, take an Uber. The NFLPA also has a system in place where these guys can call a phone number and the NFLPA will make sure to get you a safe ride home through some sort of volunteer network of drivers.

If he had listened to former Vikings Cris Carter speech to incoming rookies a couple of years ago, he would have had his girlfriend take the blame and say she was driving. That was literally what Carter told these guys; if you're going to drink and drive, make sure you have a "fallguy".
Well that's just more ignorance of how the sitiations play out. (Not directed at dpaldino, but Carter).

In minor crashes at low speeds, there's some plausibility of being able to "switch" the driver role after the fact, presuming the following:
- no deployment of safety devices
- no video recordings from cameras nearby
- no witnesses other than the driver and passengers of the offending vehicle, whom are all in agreement to facilitate the lie of swapping drivers after the accident (single vehicle crash makes this possible to achieve; multi-vehicle crashes pretty much make this impossible)
Of course, at these low speeds, it'd doubtful anyone would have died, and safety devices may not even deploy. But these conditions likely were not true of this situation we discuss in this case.

In the real world, there are plenty of tell-tale signs of who was driving. In high speed, high impact situations like this, there are serious changes to one's physical human body that cannot be counted on to be complicit with the lie of swapping drivers:
- the witness marks on your body from the seatbelts (they cross one's chest in different directions ... left should to right hip; right shoulder to left hip)
- the airbags from the two front seat positions are slightly different; these leave different marks on one's face (and hands for driver)
- the DNA of blood and tissue will be on each airbag/seat/belt/window for the positon of each person in the car
- the glass breakage (especially side windows) will send fragments in different directions as primary versus secondary angle of attack
- and in this case we discuss, at 126mph, it's doubtful the driver/passenger were even able to exit the Vette without assistance; they were probaly helped out, which means you now have to count on total strangers being willing to cooperate in the lie

Having a "fall guy" may have worked decades ago in certain low speed situations, but that won't play today; too much data and info to contravert the lie. When you're talking about grossly abhorent behavior which results in the death or serious bodily injury of others, there are forensic sciences today which can tell the truth even when your buddies are willing to go along with the lie. Perhaps an adaptation of Carter's garbage mantra might be "Don't drink and drive; have your drunk girlfriend drive ..." Alas, still incredibly poor, irresponsible advice.

Last edited:
But here's a twist. In high school, 1990s, 4 of my classmates were involved in a high speed car vs. oak tree collision. The driver was speeding, probably ~80mph, around curves, over-corrected, and lost control right into a mature oak that still stands today decades later. The front seat passengers were belted, but died. The two rear passengers were not belted in, and miraculously survived. It was their first date, and they married and raised a family. But it's fascinating that the belted couple in the front, died. Luck of the draw, and exception to the rule, I guess.
If it was in the 90’s, in high school, then I’d guess a car from the 80’s? So rather old crumple zones etc—and a rather high speed crash with an umoveable object. At some point it all fails—most of the car probably wound up in the front seat.

But the rear seat passengers have the front seats to slow them down, plus it’s rather strange to think about how the front of the car can be moving at one speed while the rear at a different. They likely slowed down (accelerated backwards) at a slower rate than the front passengers.

What’s really strange is this: had they been belted in, it likely would have been with just a lapbelt—and I’d have to wonder if they would be able to walk again after this crash.

I think the rear end of another car is a pretty soft energy absorber compared to the front end of a car. Almost all the crash testing involves making the front of the vehicle stronger while I don't see much on improving the rear crash protection. 120mph is still very fast though and I guess he was still "lucky" to survive it.
This is the point I was about to make.

The RAV-4 was rear-ended, so the relative velocity between the two was probably much less than if the RAV-4 had been stationary and so the energy dissipation much less.

Add the nature of the impact, with the Vette sliding under the RAV-4, which reduced the deceleration rate, and the crash becomes survivable.

If the Vette had hit a stationary object at 120, they would be cleaning up the occupants with a mop.

Now, how would I feel if it were my daughter in the RAV-4?

Henry Ruggs would not live long enough to stand trial.

As BMWTurbo stated , every NFL team provides their players and staff with a free car service. This service is provided year round , 24 hours a day, no questions asked.
Ruggs is going to prison and will lose most if not all of his NFL earnings.

Alcohol makes people stupid because it lowers inhibitions , that is why women are more fun with some alcohol in them. [Hold my beer and watch this ring a bell]
Buying a 200 mph car doesn't make you skilled enough to drive a 200 mph car. , discretion is needed. It is a good think Corvettes don't roll coal or some of the posters here would really be up set.

Last edited:
The NFLPA also has a system in place where these guys can call a phone number and the NFLPA will make sure to get you a safe ride home through some sort of volunteer network of drivers.

This is 100% true. I can't believe he didn't use it. 156mph on surface streets at 3:40am after drinking DESERVES consequences.

Now, how would I feel if it were my daughter in the RAV-4?

Henry Ruggs would not live long enough to stand trial.
I see your point Astro and of course feel the same way.
But 2 wrongs don't make a right. You would end up in prison and Ruggs would, is some people's eyes, get off easy.

This is why I say everyone loses. Everyone.
Something worse happened to a family I know; the eldest daughtered was murdered. The father was going to kill the guy, and he was crazy enough and had the capability to do it. Instead, the father took in and cared for his daughters children until they were of age. I am also involved and fill in where I can.

If it was in the 90’s, in high school, then I’d guess a car from the 80’s? So rather old crumple zones etc—and a rather high speed crash with an umoveable object. At some point it all fails—most of the car probably wound up in the front seat.

But the rear seat passengers have the front seats to slow them down, plus it’s rather strange to think about how the front of the car can be moving at one speed while the rear at a different. They likely slowed down (accelerated backwards) at a slower rate than the front passengers.

What’s really strange is this: had they been belted in, it likely would have been with just a lapbelt—and I’d have to wonder if they would be able to walk again after this crash.

It's a unique crash, that's always amazed me. The circumstances and outcome are quite improbable, yet it happened. And they might possibly have been harmed worse with lap belts. Which also makes one wonder why car makers are so slow to incrementally implement safety. Why no rear full belts until decades after full front belts? Expense? A few dollars.

Well that's just more ignorance of how the sitiations play out. (Not directed at dpaldino, but Carter).

In minor crashes at low speeds, there's some plausibility of being able to "switch" the driver role after the fact, presuming the following:
- no deployment of safety devices
- no video recordings from cameras nearby
- no witnesses other than the driver and passengers of the offending vehicle, whom are all in agreement to facilitate the lie of swapping drivers after the accident (single vehicle crash makes this possible to achieve; multi-vehicle crashes pretty much make this impossible)
Of course, at these low speeds, it'd doubtful anyone would have died, and safety devices may not even deploy. But these conditions likely were not true of this situation we discuss in this case.

In the real world, there are plenty of tell-tale signs of who was driving. In high speed, high impact situations like this, there are serious changes to one's physical human body that cannot be counted on to be complicit with the lie of swapping drivers:
- the witness marks on your body from the seatbelts (they cross one's chest in different directions ... left should to right hip; right shoulder to left hip)
- the airbags from the two front seat positions are slightly different; these leave different marks on one's face (and hands for driver)
- the DNA of blood and tissue will be on each airbag/seat/belt/window for the positon of each person in the car
- the glass breakage (especially side windows) will send fragments in different directions as primary versus secondary angle of attack
- and in this case we discuss, at 126mph, it's doubtful the driver/passenger were even able to exit the Vette without assistance; they were probaly helped out, which means you now have to count on total strangers being willing to cooperate in the lie

Having a "fall guy" may have worked decades ago in certain low speed situations, but that won't play today; too much data and info to contravert the lie. When you're talking about grossly abhorent behavior which results in the death or serious bodily injury of others, there are forensic sciences today which can tell the truth even when your buddies are willing to go along with the lie. Perhaps an adaptation of Carter's garbage mantra might be "Don't drink and drive; have your drunk girlfriend drive ..." Alas, still incredibly poor, irresponsible advice.
Im a MVD appraiser and agree 100%. Another telltale sign of who was driving that I always look for and document is the make-up left on the airbag, when a person wears make- up and the airbag deploys, they actually leave a face print on the airbag. Also the drivers' wrist will have minor burns from the hot gases venting out of the sides of the AB while the driver is holding the steering wheel, where as the passenger AB doesn't typically do that. Most of the time its not hard to legally prove who was driving if the police take photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back