Corvair Rampside stolen

Tacoma is proving itself as the auto theft capital of the country. I saw this story and just shook my head. I hope it is recovered but I doubt it will be. You don’t see these everyday and it looked to be in pretty good shape to boot.

That has GOT to be a parts theft....it'd be like stealing the Mona Lisa.

Some scum probably heard of the ignition bezel having an "unlocked" position. If left in that position you don't need a key to start the vehicle.

Ramp was on passenger side

4184593B-6410-4A9C-A869-1045C489BE44.jpeg

The big targets have been cars like Honda Civics and pickups. The Ford F-150 is a popular target.

As of late a lot of these thefts are for joyrides. The varmints steal the vehicles and literally destroy them either by racing or demolition derby type activities. A few have been set on fire just for the heck of it after they are done with their driving escapades.

As for this particular vehicle, the Hemmings article gave some indication as to the $$ value. I’m guessing that was the primary motive.

Last edited by a moderator:
A vehicle so rare would be impossible to sell and the parts market so small it wouldn't make sense for a (rational) thief to steal. Agree with PimTac, either a joyrider or a nihilist that hates other people have nice things. OTOH it could be stolen out of revenge for something.

I had a Corvair Spyder many years ago. It was a fun car. Wish I had another.

Tacoma is proving itself as the auto theft capital of the country. I saw this story and just shook my head. I hope it is recovered but I doubt it will be. You don’t see these everyday and it looked to be in pretty good shape to boot.

It shouldn't be hard to spot, especially with that hideous paint job.

Yeah, Tacoma sucks pretty bad for theft crime. Vancouver BC can be just as bad. I had my car broken into twice in one night there. Each crook broke into a different side of the car ruining locks on both sides. LOL

Back