Cordless Tool Batteries

So the adapters that allow a Milwaukee battery in a Ryobi tool, how is battery management handled? Is it all in the battery or split between tool and battery. If split then one would assume Ryobi battery management is different than Milwaukee. The adapters look too cheap to be able to convert Ryobi battery management to Milwaukee.
I don't remember all the details but these are the correct questions to ask. Some batts like M18 protect themselves from undercharge. But I thought M12 relied upon the tool to protect the batt.

Also some high draw Ryobi tools use a 4th contact IIRC and many adapters don't allow for that, so you're not getting full power if running an adapter in certain Ryobi tools. Again, my small brain can't retain all the details but the internet can ;)

Rigid doesn't cost much more than ryobi and IME their batteries last and if they don't you get new ones free. For a homeowner I think they are the best value/$, but they don't make everything. I'd like a decent cordless leaf blower but Rigid doesn't make one yet.

I have M18 batteries over 10 years old that are still going. Older LIon had more issues with time killing them but poor charging also kills them. Milwaukee had LION figured out around 2012 after a horrible start but has made a few duds since then. The higher Ah in a smaller package or high power applications is not going to be as long lasting as a bigger package.

Extension cords are way more reliable than cordless tool batteries.

I get what you're saying, Compressed air dominated my industry for 80+ years.....Now most of my air tools collect dust with the Air hammer & Tire Inflator being the exception.

Time & technology march on......
I don't miss fixing air hoses & replacing Couplers.
It's nice to have 2-3 impacts/ratchets with different sockets ready to go, No swapping sockets.
No hoses all over the floor.
No hose to clean up to do interior work.

I have M18 batteries over 10 years old that are still going. Older LIon had more issues with time killing them but poor charging also kills them. Milwaukee had LION figured out around 2012 after a horrible start but has made a few duds since then. The higher Ah in a smaller package or high power applications is not going to be as long lasting as a bigger package.
So would you not recommend the High Output versions of the M18 batteries? The writeup sounds like they are the ones to buy

I refuse to use battery powered tools. All my Makita, Milwaukee, and Dewalt tools are corded.
To each his own but I just cannot imagine a world anymore where I had to plug in so many tools that I use on my property and in and around the house.

That said: Yes buy quality batteries. My 80V Greenpower stuff is great, I bought one aftermarket battery and less than half the cost. 18 months of decent use, not holding a charge as long as OEM batteries. I love the 18" chainsaw with largest battery. Compared to other e-saws, it's a beast.

Freedom through Mobility.
So much this. Remember the days of land lines and having a stupid long coiled cord on the receiver so you could walk into adjacent rooms while still talking on the phone...... Virtually no one would tolerate that now

Most aftermarket batteries seem to be made with horrible cells. The cells themselves, commonly 18650 can be in the $7 range for Samsung, Panasonic, etc and they will outperform the brand name cells. You just have to be willing to break the pack open, desolder and solder. I know this isn't for everyone, I'm just saying that a superior battery pack can be had for a fraction of the cost of a crappy generic pack.

Original M12 batts working great for just over a couple years now, have 2x 2A and 1x 4A.
Went with M12 due to price point and wanted tools to last long time. Didn't need M18. I looked at M12 as an 'ecosystem' that I got myself into.

Back